Best Deer Rifle Under $700

This is a discussion on Best Deer Rifle Under $700 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I wanted to get yalls opinion on the best deer gun under 700 dollars, and also what yall think is the best caliber....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Deer Rifle Under $700

Best Deer Rifle Under $700

I wanted to get yalls opinion on the best deer gun under 700 dollars, and also what yall think is the best caliber.
    NRA Member

2. Remove Ads

Used Winchester 30-30. Period. $250--BAM!

Remington Model 700 or Model 7 in whatever cal. floats yer boat.

easy question

but Savage makes great guns for not much $$$

exhibit A:

chambered in .270
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

.30-30 is a great gun in some areas. It would never cut the distances here. Buy your gun for the area and terrain you'll be hunting in.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Either of what they said or a Savage 110, Marlin 30-30, Ruger or Stevens bolt rifle, Mossebrg ATR, Remington 760 and the list goes on. There are so many that will do the job, it just depends on what you like best I guess and what the hunting conditions are where you hunt.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Plenty of choices and plenty of calibers flying under your price range radar. Wood, synthetic, bolt, lever, semi, CZ, Savage, Remington, Howa, Browning, Ruger, the list goes on. Narrowing the caliber could be a best first choice on availability in something to choose. This is going to depend on your terrain and where you plan on hunting and your skills. Texas.....hmmm......long ranges possible....smaller than average North American whitetail deer.......(okay, just kidding). A .270 might do you well, but a .308 might do better. Personally, my deer rifle is a 6.5x55 (.264). 140gr A-Max. If you want to think about reloading for your deer rifle in the future, think of one popular enough to find components and equipment in the future.

Tikka T3 Stainless Laminated in a .300 Win Mag!
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Deer Rifle

My needs in FL are not necessarily the same as yours, but. For a super accurate gun on a budget, look at the H&R single shots. I was looking for a lefty friendly gun on the cheap and was very favorably impressed with the accuracy of the 3 I was able to shoot. When I mounted the scope on one of them, a .223, it came out dead on in the boresighter with no adjustment needed. Arrow straight from out of the box. As a lefty I could hold a spare round safari style between my fingers and reload it faster than I could reach over and fumble with a right handed bolt action. Where I hunt a fast follow up rarely matters, though.

Here:
    H&R Handi-Rifle Youth
    They have combos, too. My choice would be the .30-06, cheap ammo for sighting in and practice as well as unlimited choices for hunting. IIRC they make from 55gr to 220gr loads suitable for anything that walks.

I've got a gun safe full of Rugers and I love them, they are all good handle'n, straight shoot'n guns. That said, my newest rifle is a Tikka T3 and it's the slickest actioned, best shooting rifle I've ever owned, right out of the box. Mine is chambered for 25/06 and that's a great deer round, but which caliber is best for you is a very personal choice. Everyone needs and wants are different. Some calibers to look at would be .243, 257 Roberts, 25/06, .260, .270, .280,7mm/08 , 30/30,.308, 30/06, or .35 Rem. I know that I've left out some of ya'll's favorites, these are just the ones that I've hunted with and really like. I don't own one right now, but I think the .260 Rem is probably as close to the perfect deer round out there. I've killed more deer with a 30/06 than anything else, followed by the .270 Win. and now I hunt mostly with a 25/06, unless I'm hit'n the really thick stuff, then my old Winchester model 94 30/30 get's the nod.
    Annual Member NRA 1972-88
    Life Member NRA 1988
    Endowment Member NRA 2013
    SAF Member 2013

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by blinkstafoo1 View Post
    I wanted to get yalls opinion on the best deer gun under 700 dollars, and also what yall think is the best caliber.
    Depends.
    Where are you hunting?
    What's the terrain like?
    What game will you be hunting?

I've read fantastic stuff about the new Winchester Model 70- Classic. Saw a SS Classic .270 WSM listed for $725.
    Ram Rod, my hunting rifle is also a 6.5x55 Swedish. Love it.
    I've always liked the ballistics of the .270 if you don't need something larger. The .270 WSM is nice and Ruger now has out a .300 Ruger Compact Magnum (RCM) for larger game and it is a very nice new cartridge that I'll consider if I plan on hunting some larger game.
    Savage, Remington, Winchester and Ruger. They all make great rifles. Whichever you get, make sure you get a nice scope for it and sight it in good.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

VIP Member
    For $700 hundred or less you can pick from ANY of the major brands. Remington, Browning, Winchester, Savage, Weatherby (vanguard), Tikka, Marlin and Ruger are all in your price range, and they all make fine rifles. So here is what you should do: Go to a large gun store ( or more than one) and fondle as many of the above brand name rifles you can. Work the actions to feel how smooth they are. Shoulder the rifle to feel how they fit you. After looking at at least five brand names pick the one you like best. They all feel and fit a little different so no one can tell you what is best for you.

With that said look at the 30-06 .270 or .308 for any large game in North America except the big bears. These three are the top selling hunting calibers for the last 25 years or so because they work great and won't break your shoulder.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

The CZ 550 rifle might be an option. A friend has a 550 FS Mannlicher in 9.3x62mm. It has the best balance and ergonomics of any "factory" bolt-action rifle I have held. Available in a variety of calibers, it can certainly cover deer to serious game.
    Attached Images
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Rem 700 in .270 win

Where are you going to be hunting these deer? I assume your not going to be doing any hunting in Houston. Depending on what part of Texas your going to be hunting in there really isn't a single answer.

Up here in the Piney Woods region and where we hunt a lever gun, that will run out to about 150 yds or so is all you really need. I choose a Marlin in .35 Rem or .32 Win Special. Basically the same ballistics as the 30-30, I just didn't want the 30-30 because everyone else has one.

If your going to be hunting in central or west Texas where you can take shots out to however far you can see, well a lever gun ain't going to cut it. I would choose a 30.06 mine is a Husqvarna or a .270 wife's is a Savage. .308 is fine also. Any of these calibers will allow you to pick different grain bullets depending on the terrain. You can pick a lighter grain for distance shots, or a really heavy one for brushy hunting.

One thing you do want to do is pick a caliber that you can purchase bullets for easily. Unless your going to reload or have a really good place to buy off calibers, stay away from those exotic calibers that you can't go down to walmart and buy ammo for.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    Depends.
    Where are you hunting?
    What's the terrain like?
    What game will you be hunting?

Ram Rod, my hunting rifle is also a 6.5x55 Swedish. Love it.
    I've always liked the ballistics of the .270 if you don't need something larger.
    That's awesome! Do you reload for it? Actually mine is the lightest bolt action I have for hunting. It was my first cartridge to reload for. Mine is a Kimber sporterized with synthetic stock. The 6.5x55 is a very flat shooting cartridge, and I don't guess I need to tell about it's history overseas for taking large game. I believe it's anything I'll ever need in a medium profile rifle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links