Buying out of state

This is a discussion on Buying out of state within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am in Arkansas. I will be going to the gun show in Tulsa,OK in November. If I find something I cant live without how ...

Thread: Buying out of state

Buying out of state

I am in Arkansas. I will be going to the gun show in Tulsa,OK in November. If I find something I cant live without how can I buy it?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    If you find a long gun you like, you should be able to purchase it there via a FFL holder under the provisions of the FOPA '86. Now in the case of a handgun, it will have to be shipped to a FFL in Arkansas, then transfered to you. Either way you need a FFL holder.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Fed Laws ONLY allow cross-state purchases from an FFL and ONLY for long guns. All hand-guns have to be transferred to the new owner AT an FFL in the new owner's state ONLY.

State laws may be more restrictive, but can't bypass the above Fed Law.

VIP Member
    For handguns find a dealer you want to do your transfer. Have him provide you with a signed copy of his FFL (or multiple copies if you expect to buy more than one gun from different dealers). When you purchase the firearm present the FFL. The dealer will charge you shipping and will ship the firearm to your FFL.

For long guns you may purchase directly. Arkansas law says that residents can purchase in an adjacent state. Oklahoma law says that dealers may sell to residents of adjacent states.

Arkansas

5-73-125. Interstate sale and purchase of shotguns, rifles, and ammunition.
    (a) The sale of shotguns and rifles and ammunition in this state to residents of adjacent states is authorized pursuant to regulations issued by the Secretary of the Treasury under the Federal Gun Control Act of 1968, 18 U.S.C. 921 et seq., as the act is in effect on March 4, 1969.

(b) A resident of this state is permitted to purchase a rifle, shotgun, or ammunition in an adjacent state as expressly authorized pursuant to the regulations issued under the Federal Gun Control Act of 1968, 18 U.S.C. 921 et seq., as the act is in effect on March 4, 1969.

History. Acts 1969, No. 159, 1, 2; A.S.A. 1947, 41-3174, 41-3175.
    Oklahoma

21 1288. Purchases of firearms, ammunition and equipment in contiguous states by Oklahoma residents Purchases in Oklahoma by residents of contiguous states.

(a) Residents of the State of Oklahoma may purchase rifles, shotguns, ammunition, cartridge and shotgun shell handloading components and equipment in a state contiguous to the State of Oklahoma, provided that such residents conform to the applicable provisions of the Federal Gun Control Act of 1968, and regulations thereunder, as administered by the United States Secretary of the Treasury and provided further that such residents conform to the provisions of law applicable to such purchase in the State of Oklahoma and in the contiguous state in which the purchase is made.
    (b) Residents of a state contiguous to the State of Oklahoma may purchase rifles, shotguns, ammunition, cartridge and shotgun shell handloading components and equipment in the State of Oklahoma provided that such residents conform to the applicable provisions of the Gun Control Act of 1968, and regulations thereunder, as administered by the United States Secretary of the Treasury and provided further that such residents conform to the provisions of law applicable to such purchase in the State of Oklahoma and in the state in which such persons reside.

Laws 1969, c. 230, 1, emerg. eff. April 21, 1969.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    What about buying out of state face to face, long guns ?.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    For handguns find a dealer you want to do your transfer. Have him provide you with a signed copy of his FFL (or multiple copies if you expect to buy more than one gun from different dealers). When you purchase the firearm present the FFL. The dealer will charge you shipping and will ship the firearm to your FFL.

For long guns you may purchase directly. Arkansas law says that residents can purchase in an adjacent state. Oklahoma law says that dealers may sell to residents of adjacent states.
    Now...who could tell you anything more?

I am in Arkansas. I will be going to the gun show in Tulsa,OK in November. If I find something I cant live without how can I buy it?
    With cash??? LOL! Happy hunting at the show!

Quote Originally Posted by ccman View Post
    What about buying out of state face to face, long guns ?.
    Prohibited by Federal Law - Chapter 18 Title 44 Section 922 also known as 18 USC 922.

VIP Member
    NavyLT.
    Thank You I will look it up as I may be buying a long gun or two from a Friend two states over.(PA).

Quote Originally Posted by ccman View Post
    NavyLT.
    Thank You I will look it up as I may be buying a long gun or two from a Friend two states over.(PA).
    18 USC 922 says, regarding out of state long gun purchases, that if both the seller and buyer's states' laws allows the purchase/sale of long guns from out of state, than the transfer can occur in person at an FFL in the seller's state. IE: you go there, look at his guns, you like them, you both go to an FFL in his state and the FFL transfers the guns to you and you bring them back.

If either states' laws do not allow it, then he will have to deliver the long guns to an FFL in your state and the FFL in your state will have to transfer them.

You can call an FFL in your friend's state and ask them, they should know if they can transfer the long gun to a resident from your state. The specific requirement is in 18 USC 922 (b)(3).

The prohibition against the private sale is in 18 USC 922 (a)(3) and 5).

VIP Member
    I was at Cabelas in PA with another Friend and He was from WI and he picked up a long gun there and we took it home with us. So it looks like go to the FFL, do the transfer and leave with the Guns. I will make a phone call to check it out. Thank's again for Your help.

Links