Todd Jarrett magazine changes

This is a discussion on Todd Jarrett magazine changes within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Nice video for those tactical reloads. YouTube - Blackhawk Tips with Todd Jarrett: Tactical Reloads...

Thread: Todd Jarrett magazine changes

Todd Jarrett magazine changes

Nice video for those tactical reloads.
    YouTube - Blackhawk Tips with Todd Jarrett: Tactical Reloads

2. Remove Ads

I saw that video yesterday. That guy's pretty good.

His gun doesn't seem to recoil at all...practically zero muzzle flip and then back on target. Is he shooting extra light target loads or something? Never shot a 1911 so perhaps that is just due to the low bore axis...seems too good to be true.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I can say that after shooting Glocks for 20 years and now having a 1911 for the first time........I can't believe the difference of the recoil of my 1911. I can't shoot as fast against a timer.......still off .1 to .2 on the first round (my mind is still fumbling with the safety) but on the second round I am quicker between shots because of less muzzle jump.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post
    I saw that video yesterday. That guy's pretty good.

His gun doesn't seem to recoil at all...practically zero muzzle flip and then back on target. Is he shooting extra light target loads or something? Never shot a 1911 so perhaps that is just due to the low bore axis...seems too good to be true.
    I don't know. I was sort of wondering myself....those look like staggered column magazines he's using actually. The pistol, I'm not sure, but.....I caught one part where he actually retracted the slide to the rear very easily with his thumb and forefinger of the weak hand from just in front of the trigger guard from the bottom of the slide! That surprised me. See if you can find what I'm talking about.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Well if you go to his web site he mentions he shoots a 40 at one time and a 45 in another. He is sponsored by PARA.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Did someone say fast reload?

YouTube - Fastest Reload
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Speculation on his gun and ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    The pistol, I'm not sure, but.....I caught one part where he actually retracted the slide to the rear very easily with his thumb and forefinger of the weak hand from just in front of the trigger guard from the bottom of the slide! That surprised me.
    I'm guessing that he is shooting fairly low powered ammunition to minimize recoil. And his recoil spring would be correspondingly weak to match the ammo. So the slide would be very easy to rack. And as much as he shoots, the gun might have 30,000 rounds through it and be well broken in, without much friction between slide and frame.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I'm guessing that he is shooting fairly low powered ammunition to minimize recoil. And his recoil spring would be correspondingly weak to match the ammo. So the slide would be very easy to rack. And as much as he shoots, the gun might have 30,000 rounds through it and be well broken in, without much friction between slide and frame.
    Exactly, I was just about to mention the low power thing. I think admiration is certainly in order, but we need to realize these top competitors may be shooting much lighter ammo that we do unless we reload our own. Not that we could shoot like them with the same ammo, but still the lighter recoil factor does allow them to shoot faster than they could with a higher power load.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

VIP Member
    He is shooting a Para Ordnance LDA 1911. I'm speculating on this second part but my guess is he's shooting .40 cal.. .40 cal is one of the smallest rounds that earns major power factor points, and they are probably hand loaded to the lowest grain bullet and fps allowed under IPSC or IDPA rules. His weapon has been sprung (springed?) accordingly.

ETA: I watched the video again and the rounds look too long to be .40 cal. They could be 38 super, maybe?
    Last edited by atctimmy; October 3rd, 2008 at 12:08 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I can say that after shooting Glocks for 20 years and now having a 1911 for the first time........I can't believe the difference of the recoil of my 1911. I can't shoot as fast against a timer.......still off .1 to .2 on the first round (my mind is still fumbling with the safety) but on the second round I am quicker between shots because of less muzzle jump.
    You well get over the safety. But the 1911 does have a faster lock time then the glock, that's spliting hairs.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Links