Help with setting my gunsights

This is a discussion on Help with setting my gunsights within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am preparing to take a CCW class and have been going to the local range and practicing at 15' and 25' (15' is the ...

Thread: Help with setting my gunsights

Question Help with setting my gunsights

I am preparing to take a CCW class and have been going to the local range and practicing at 15' and 25' (15' is the distance used in the CCW course).
    Due to a car accident many years ago my neck is fused from C2-C7(cervical vertebrae) which forces my head downward a few degrees. In turn I shoot low and slightly to the right. While my patterns are fairly consistent they deteriorate as I tire. I must make a conscious and somewhat painful effort to raise my head to be parallel with my shoulder/gun arm. Can anyone advise me on adjusting the sights on my Ruger SR9 to compensate for this or offer an alternative method of aiming. I am also cross-sighted. Left eye dominant and Right hand shooter.
    I would greatly appreciate any assistance.
    Gizmo51

2. Remove Ads

At 5 yards an experienced shooter can point shoot and put all their rounds in the COM area even at 8 yards,I tend to concentrate on my front sight alignment and trigger control,It almost sounds like low right could be problems with grip and trigger control,even if your head is angled down a few degrees does not affect your sight alignment and trigger control.I would suggest you practice dry firing with an unloaded weapon and practice squeezing the trigger while keeping sights on target.As far as most CCW courses they pretty much score by hits on target and I have seen people that have never shot a gun before score high enough to pass.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Dukalmighty, thanks for the response! If I am reading correctly you are suggesting that I should practice my trigger pull and get some advice on correct grip for a semi-auto 9mm. Any thoughts on where to find info on correct grip? The trigger pull issue I already realize is a weak point that must be worked on. I agree about the 5 yards. I can consistently put 18 rounds in the bull, ring #1 and #2 on a 3" target. The CCW issue was nothing more than explaining why I am shooting so close. I want to become proficient at 50' or more eventually. Thanks for the advice.
    Gizmo51

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo51 View Post
    Any thoughts on where to find info on correct grip? The trigger pull issue I already realize is a weak point that must be worked on.
    This video does an excellent job of covering marksmanship fundamentals and techniques.
    Tactical Response Gear
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Links