Personal Protection and Recreational Goals for 2006

This is a discussion on Personal Protection and Recreational Goals for 2006 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well it's about time someone started a thread like this. I'll try to let someone else make the Merry Christmas thread. What are you hoping ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Personal Protection and Recreational Goals for 2006

Personal Protection and Recreational Goals for 2006

Well it's about time someone started a thread like this. I'll try to let someone else make the Merry Christmas thread.

What are you hoping to acquire, learn, and accomplish in 2006?

From a personal protection standpoint, I am trying to find a way to take a local intermediate refresher and advanced handgun course that uses force on force training, and a carbine course, all next summer. This is actually going to be very difficult with recent problems surfacing in my personal life but I'm hoping for the best.

From an academic and recreational point of view, I will be learning how to reload next year hopefully. I need more manuals and a scale first.

I hope to acquire an AR15 next year and learn the basics of how to use it. I've no aspirations of being a sharpshooter just yet, I just want to learn how to not shoot myself in the foot with it! I told myself I'd get my mitts on an AR15 before 2008 and next year will be the year I think.

I also aspire to get my mitts on an XD in .45 ACP if possible, and will try to take the plunge and get an AK47 clone if the opportunity arises. I wanted to do that this year but couldn't find one that wasn't a Century Arms import. I may have to swallow my nervousness and get a CAI anyway.

2. Remove Ads

Hardware acquisitions:
    The next two items on the handgun list are a light-weight .357/.38 snubby (smith J-frame or similar), and a commander-length 1911.
    The next rifle will be either an AR-15 or an AK

For training, I'd like to hit at least one of SouthNarc's seminars. (unarmed-combat, E-CQC handgun, or knife) but don't know if I'll have time. In my personal training, I intend to spend more time working my clinch/trapping/grappling stuff and working more on "in-fight" weapons access.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

For me, I wish to enroll and complete my Criminal Justice degree.

Move to a more mature town, with employment opportunities.

And I wish all of you and yours, a great year to come !

Lead Moderator
    Looking to take a pistol combat course and possibly a carbine course too. Also a change in career is a goal.

Acquisitions:
    - SA Milspec
    - Colt Commander or SA Champion
    - XD .45 ACP (if they're released as expected)
    - HD 870 in 12ga.
    - maybe a nice li'l .380 (Mustang, PPK, NAA, etc)

Training:
    I'll keep it simple and say more range time!
    Jack

I'm hoping to take at least a defensive pistol class myself and my wife is interested in taking one as well, along with lots of range time.
    I'm planning to take a number of people who've expressed an interest out to the range when the weather gets warmer.

I also want to get my home defense plans worked out in more detail with my wife, as much as possible.I also want to finish our disaster preparations/bug-out bag.

As far as purchases - I need to get a gunsafe for the Mossberg 500 I'm getting for Christmas, and I definately want to get an AR-15 or an AK before 2008. I also plan on getting nightsights for my P-01, and a smaller carry gun for my wife. Also some better sights for the Mossberg (possibly tritium ghost ring), and a saddle shell-holder and a sling. Beyond that, more ammo. Lots more ammo!

Next year in Spring will be geared to moving into a better neighborhood/area. I like it where I live but until the scum move out (and the bums) and the guy that has my bike is arrested and put into jail for awhile, I just don't feel safe there (isolated somewhat) and even though I carry/have 24/7, I would rather move out of the area for the time being until it's safer to move back.

I may have the "permission" to carry and use if need be, that is something that I don't wish to do if I can do something else to prevent it.

Wayne

Assistant Administrator
    No major plans.

No concrete purchases lined up - I have about gotten to where I wanna be - tho a sub 2000 could tempt me just for fun - and perhaps if I find a nice target Enfield MkIV one day will yield to temptation. So no major hardware plans at all.

Re training etc. Well - I dipped out last October from a two day thing being run at my main club - wanted to go but cost and other commitments made it not happen. Maybe get to one this coming year.

Beyond that just range time when I can - with more accent on movement practice. Hopefully too get to most of the IDPA shoots for the pure enjoyment factor.

Otherwise - hope to live thru 2006 and be around to see 2007
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Call me odd, I actually don't have my eyes on anything. I'll be starting a new job, hopefully in January and moving to Salt Lake City.

Bonus---For the new job, I'll be going to the FAA Academy for a few months in OKC. I'm from OK, so it'll be an all expense paid trip home.

I'm sure it'll only be a few months before I eye a new gun. Right now, I'm happy with my new Taurus (2005 Handgun of the year). Although I did let it get a little wet and the rust demon got it.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

VIP Member
    I don't have a lever-action in my collection. I've wanted to get my paws on a Winchester 1895 in 7.62 x 54R.

I've been a bad girl, eyeballing the Bushmaster Carbon 15 9mm pistol, just because.

photo © world.guns.ru
    Attached Images
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Still looking for a BUG! Haven't pulled the trigger on one yet. Probably will be a J frame and pocket holster.

My Yost Ti Carry will be in my hands late 2006 sometime so you could say I already started the 2006 line up.

Want to fine a nice Colt S70 and also send it to TED for the 1* Elite Pkg.

Find my GF a gun she like's and want's to carry early on this year. God help me with this one!

Not sure I will get it but I do want an AR-15 probably a RRA Entry Tactical or I am considering the Wilson M-4T Tactical Carbine w/Quad Rail. Just depends on how much coin I've got to spend on it.

I am going to take some local training that seem's to be good and progressive in nature to keep the skill's up taught by a select group of local LEO's.

Never the less I will get my Ti Carry, a BUG and the training! everything else is expendable.

Ti.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead79
    Call me odd, I actually don't have my eyes on anything. I'll be starting a new job, hopefully in January and moving to Salt Lake City.

Bonus---For the new job, I'll be going to the FAA Academy for a few months in OKC. I'm from OK, so it'll be an all expense paid trip home.

(SNIP)
    Congrats on the job...what will you be doing with the FAA?....I'm a twice over Monroney-grad myself back when I was with the FAA.

As for my 2006 "plans"....to stop buying so much gun-related stuff!

USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Assistant Administrator
    Betty's mention reminded me of one other possible ... AK pistol - purely ''because''
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I ended up with one of my 2006 items already: the HK-51 clone.

Most of my want list is now NFA stuff. Don't get me wrong - I'm sure I'll still bring home 10 or 20 or 30 guns anyway. :0
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Purchases:
    1894-style lever action in .38/.357... not sure if I'll buy Marlin or Winchester or someone else.
    SP101, .357, 2.25 barrel, nice Hogue wood grips.

Training:
    Take at least two handgun classes at Valhalla here in Colorado, eventually work my way thru all the various classes they offer. Maybe get a mebership of some sort.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links