I have to learn to handle/shoot rifles all over again.

This is a discussion on I have to learn to handle/shoot rifles all over again. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; HOLY COW! What an amazing difference it makes to actually shoot with your dominant eye! I'm a righty, with a dominant left eye. I've known ...

Thread: I have to learn to handle/shoot rifles all over again.

Unhappy I have to learn to handle/shoot rifles all over again.

HOLY COW! What an amazing difference it makes to actually shoot with your dominant eye!

I'm a righty, with a dominant left eye. I've known this since cub scouts but I've always handled rifles as a righty anyway. Pistols I have managed to shoot with the correct eye, but holding a rifle on the left just feels wrong. That said, I'm a believer now and making the change. For the first time ever I tried shooting with the left eye and it was GOOD.

I was playing with some reloads and my AR and a 4x scope at 100 yards, and generally not being happy with my 2.25-3" groups. I was just having a tough time keeping in focus. Well, I decided to try something crazy and switched sides for giggles. It felt really weird holding the gun, and even weirder trying to operate the charging handle, bolt release, and mag release. But in spite of the weirdness, every group fired as a lefty was 1.5" or smaller. (I was firing sandbagged the whole time) Keeping in focus was not a problem at all, In fact, I don't think I've ever seen such a clear sight picture in my life.

So with this new tidbit of DUH! wisdom, I have vowed to only handle longarms as a lefty from this day forward. It's gonna be quite a change, but I can't pass on the benefits. Can't believe this took me 20 years of shooting to figure out.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

2. Remove Ads

Funny that you would post this I too and right handed and left eye dom. I bought a BB rifle a couple of weeks ago and was teaching my 7 year old son how to shoot. I placed on the scope and for the first time handled a rifle It felt weird to hold left handed and shoot. groups were better.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Do whatever it takes. I'm glad you re-discovered the joy of shooting well! Be patient with yourself and practice, practice and practice some more!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Have you thought about getting an AR from Stag? They make'em for Leftys (-handed people, not nutroots)
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Have you thought about getting an AR from Stag? They make'em for Leftys (-handed people, not nutroots)
    It has crossed my mind today, but $$$ reasons wouldn't allow that currently. Anyway, I'm thinking that if lots and lots of military personnel have gotten by with the standard issue, then I should be able to adapt.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!

Administrator
    You might want to find somebody that has an EoTech mounted on their firearm and try one.

Since with a correctly used EoTech the shooter does not "look through" the unit at all.

You just look at the target field in front of you with both eyes open and the reticle superimposes itself out at the target plane.

For sure you would have to re-zero the EoTech but, once you had it set for you and your eyes then accurate shooting should be a breeze without you having to start shooting lefty.

They are not cheap so that is why I'm suggesting that you find somebody that already has one and will let you test it out for yourself.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Welcome to the dark side!

That might be an interesting idea, QK...OTOH, the AR isn't the only rifle I shoot, so maybe I'm still better off learning to be a lefty.

I shoot lefty but am right-eye dominant. I've developed a standard tilt to the gun (pistol or rifle) to accommodate, but it's always on the left-hand side. Had a Stag 15 3L (lefty) for a time. Have a couple of lever-action rifles, too. Being able to remain lefty but right-eye helps me keep everything straight and accurate. That shrinks the selection, of course, but it means I'm able to (reasonably) competently use each piece. Wouldn't have it any other way.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    It has crossed my mind today, but $$$ reasons wouldn't allow that currently. Anyway, I'm thinking that if lots and lots of military personnel have gotten by with the standard issue, then I should be able to adapt.
    Be very careful about getting a left hand AR. I'm a lefty, retired US Army, and have been shooting left handed since my first .22. I recently tried a LH AR at the range and had lots of trouble with it. I guess my ability to adapt to the right-handed world got the better of me. The only true left handed guns I own are a 700DXLH in 06, and a 581 in LH both Remington's. Everything else I had to learn.

Links