Is the 30.06 the most common deer hunting round in North America?

This is a discussion on Is the 30.06 the most common deer hunting round in North America? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Talking deer hunting (should have included that in poll). If an admin is willing, update the poll to state: Is the 30.06 the most common ...

View Poll Results: Is the 30.06 the most common deer hunting round in North America?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

61 49.59%
  • No

62 50.41%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the 30.06 the most common deer hunting round in North America?

Talking deer hunting (should have included that in poll). If an admin is willing, update the poll to state:

I think it is, but I've heard some scuttle that it might be up here in MI, but not in other states. I really don't know beyond my family. Estimating % for family and extended family / friends, I would say it is 65% 30.06, next up 20% is 30-30, 5% .300, 10% other.

Opinions are fine, but if no, please post what you think is the most common round, and do you have any hard facts.

Thanks.

I voted yes because you didn't have a "maybe" choice. In my opinion, I think that either the .30-06 or the .30-30 would be the top dog simply due to the fact of quantity produced and sold.
    You can never have enough magazines or ammo.

The 30.06 is the most known I think. I have a 30.06 and I think is one of the best all-around utility calibers out there......but our deer camp is a small, family and close friends affair and althougha few of us have the 30.06, there are a bunch of other calibers represented. Most of those who hunt that I talk with all own some other caliber along with thier 30.06.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    In the last 100 years I 'd have to say 30-06 has been modified,adjusted so many times perfection has been found by it's seekers.This is why this caliber is so popular today.I bet most gun collections have at least one in their collection.There's two in my house.

VIP Member
    I would say yes it is. I think the old reliable 30-30 probably runs a close second to it though.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I think it really depends on what area you live in, I feel that the 30-30 probably edges it out. In my family there was only 1 30-06 owned all the rest of the rifles were leveractions, and the one used the most was the 30-30. Most of the people I knew growing up learned to hunt with a 30-30. the models used most were made by Winchester, Marlin, and Savage. one of my older brothers bought a 30-06 but I never saw him use it. By the way I have 5 brothers and 2 sisters.

I use Remington gamemaster in 270 winchester
    3/320th Field Artillery
    3rd brigade RAKKASANS
    101st AIRBORNE

Around here it used to be the 12 gauge but dog hunting has gone to the dogs and still hunting in tree stands has taken over. Probably the 30-06 but the 30-30 still takes many deer.

In my hunting circles up here in New England, I hunt Vt, Ma & Ct, the 308 is very popular along with the 30.06.

Around here it is the 30-30
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I know few hundred hunters in the area. Only about 20 of them use an 06. 30-30 and .308 are used more often than the 30-06.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Ah! the poll is neck and neck. One of the things that influences what caliber is most popular is the amount and surge of Women hunters. There are a lot of different calibers that are easier for small people to shoot. The 30-06 had a surge of popularity after the WW2 but it fell away after they came out with the 308 and all nato forces went to 7.62x51. It has almost the same power as the 30-06 but ammo and rifles chambered for it were shorter and lighter.

How light and short a rifle is has a lot to do with it being chosen to hunt with, this is why the 30-30 has been so popular and endured so long. After all it has been around since 1895 and was chambered in a rifle from every major manufacture of the time.

The 30-06 can kill anything you point it at; It is just about the ballistic equivalent of the .308. And in my opinion, the hardest animal in the world to kill is a human being. And the .06 was designed to kill men with FMJ ammunition. So when you stoke it with the right bullets you can kill whatever you see. Hunters were using it for just that when they introduced the cartridge way back when, and some still use it for that today. Of course, the gun writers advocate other cartridges today for obvious reasons, but to me, if you want to really find out how good you are with a gun in a life or death fight, take a 30-06 bolt gun with open sights lion hunting. or hunting grizzlies.

Of course, not many would have the intestinal fortitude to try something like that.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    The 30-06 can kill anything you point it at; especially when you stoke it with the right bullets. Hunters were using it for just that when they introduced the cartridge way back when, and some still use it for that today. Of course, the gun writers advocate other cartridges today for obvious reasons, but to me, if you want to really find out how good you are with a gun in a life or death fight, take a 30-06 bolt gun with open sights lion hunting. or hunting grizzlies.

Of course, not many would have the intestinal fortitude to try something like that.....
    I totally agree. The 30-06 is one of the most versatile cartridges out there for taking anything walking in North America. I own three, a 700DXLH, SC 1903A3, SA M1 Garand.

I don't feel the 06 is the most popular for deer though. I think that title goes to the Winchester 94 and Marlin 336 in 30-30. If there were statistics on what every deer legaly harvested was shot with in the past 100yrs I think the 30-30 would come out on top. I'm afraid the 30-06 might not even make second place due to the number of hunters that also use the .35REM and .32WSP.

The 30-06 has lost alot of favor in recent years to all the hype of magnum, super short magnums and such out there, but she is still probably the best at what she does. She can do everything these other upstarts can do with less noise, less recoil, and less cost per round factory or reloads.

VIP Member
    Why are we having a poll? Federal (and I'm sure all others) sells more 30-06 ammo than any other hunting ammo by a healthy margin.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links