Astra Cadix .38 ejector rod problem

This is a discussion on Astra Cadix .38 ejector rod problem within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I took my Dad's old Astra Cadix .38 special (4" blued barrel, 5 shot cylinder, plastic grips) to the range a couple of weeks ago. ...

Thread: Astra Cadix .38 ejector rod problem

Astra Cadix .38 ejector rod problem

I took my Dad's old Astra Cadix .38 special (4" blued barrel, 5 shot cylinder, plastic grips) to the range a couple of weeks ago. He bought this one around 1966 or 1967 and it has not been fired much. It mainly resided in the top drawer of his dresser with the exception of when we went on vacation somewhere. I don't think he ever shot more than a few rounds from it. I carried an old box of lead round nose ammo and some new jhp to the range. The revolver functioned perfectly up until about 35 rounds. At that point I opened the cylinder to eject the spent rounds and the ejector rod would not move. I worked it a little and it finally released. This occurred several more times and I finally quit shooting it. The barrel and cylinder were both very warm of course and I was wondering if the heat build up made the ejector rod bind. Could it just need more lubricant? Once the revolver cooled off a little everything was fine. I cleaned and oiled it again, but I don't know if I will take it anywhere again. What do you guys think?
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ... they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Did you clean and lube it before going to the range with it? If not, that may have been the problem. The lube will help disperse heat, although the gun heating up while being fired is normal. I'd give it a try again now that you have cleaned and oiled it. What's it going to hurt if you do?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

It was cleaned but not particularly well lubed in the ejector sleeve or cylinder bushings. That particular revolver's cylinder is so close to the frame when open that you have to be sure all spent rounds clear the frame when ejecting them or it will bind against the frame too. However, this problem seemed to occur only when the gun heated up from multiple shots. I will try it again and see after lubing the ejector rod shaft and housing as it is not a safety issue at the range. Any recommendations on lube for the ejector?
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ... they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

could be over time the lube in the ejector rod housing has gummed up and heat causes expansion which can cause parts to bind,I would disassemble and clean the ejector rod and housing ,then lightly lube and reassemble
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Thanks for the advice. I'm partial to this revolver for sentimental reasons. Otherwise I would probably trade it for something else. I will lube it well and try it again. It will most likely be a safe queen though.

Links