Gun Cleaners Etc. - Page 2

Gun Cleaners Etc.

This is a discussion on Gun Cleaners Etc. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well Janq, I guess I'll have to try some... in fact, I'm going to order a bottle right now!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    VIP Member
    Well Janq, I guess I'll have to try some... in fact, I'm going to order a bottle right now!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    You might also want to try Blue Wonder. I was able to clean my entire collection
    thoroughly with just a single tube. It does the work itself chemically and is virtually labor free. It leaves the bore with a mirror finish.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Thumper,

I'm not a materials nor chemical engineer and haven't done a metallurgic test nor evaluated exact same materials toward long term rust inhibition via an environmental exposure tank, as have several others via the internets with lots of time and seemingly little else to do or think about. But I did need to get this gun cleaned as I was evaluating the Slide Glide to see if it lives up to it's marketing and end user statements (it does) and two weeks ago I had just happened to notice the 'Gunzilla' logo/graphic at the top of the page amongst the advertisers. Being curious for the moment I clicked and wound up at their website. I liked what I'd read but in my regular real world life marketing is my industry and I know better than to believe out of hand a mfrs. claims. So I did some secondary product research including reviewing statements of end users via the internet (here, THR, etc.) and the claims seemed to stand. But still I was an unbeliever....and I had a pistol that really badly needed a full and deep cleaning. And my 3 yr.old bottle of CLP is down to the last few drops. That was the catalyst toward me making a purchase, I was basically all out of Breakfree CLP.

So FFWD to last week and the bottle of Gunzilla arrives at my door.
    I tested it out first on my primary carry gun, which already was spic n span as a carry gun should be, to see if this would simply remove the lube I'd had on it. It did and the bore came 'clean' following three passes. That bore was already _clean_ per a CLP run through with the same jags just an unfired week prior. Interesting.
    I let the gun sit over night disassembled to dry and see if this stuf would leave any perceptibly visible residue or dry/caked gunk as some other low grade products do. It did not. Further there was no visible staining nor did it mar the finish of my wood grips. If it had I'd have not cried because my carry gun is a tool meant to go bang at every trigger pull and not look pretty on a shelf or in a safe. All was well so I reassembled it 'dry' on just Gunzilla to check for felt friction and this is completely subjective but as felt lubricity before and after cleaning. It went together as expected and it's functioning to me felt normal, as in same to how it was prior to cleaning.
    I disassembled it and applied a fine layer by fine point paint brush of Slide Glide lube as I normally would (a little goes a long way I've found) and rubbed that in to the metal surfaces by hand. Reassembled a second time and again check for friction. This timeout though things felt slicker with more lubricity than before and normal. Again totally subjective but that's how it felt to me, and I clean my guns weekly be they fired or not if an when carried even once.

Next day was my heavy use test 1911.
    I should have taken pics had I known ahead of time I'd be making this post but I assure you it was FILTHY. It's been dining on exclusively WWB which normally shoots pretty clean all things being relative but with so many rounds digested the internals, feed ramp, bore, and lugs on this full stainless steel gun were graphite black. I took a fingernail to it to see if it would scrape off. No joy. Sigh, I just knew I'd have hours of work ahead of me. BTW I'd run this test using exclusively Slide Glide as my lube and I'd lubed it only once at the start on the day I cleaned it prior to entering into this testing phase. After each use the guns external metal was wiped down and that was all. Nothing more. The Slide Glide works, period, even as toward the end all perceptible function had gotten to a point of rough grittiness. Normally this specific gun would exhibit function errors at max 2k rds. running mfr. suggested TW25, which is not bad stuff on it's own.
    So anyway following the Gunzilla product instructions provided I wiped down the internals as best I could using a soft cloth to clear away dust and surface grit. The Slide Glide helped me out a bit here as well as it seems to carry it at the surface rather than allow it to get really baked on. But still I had a tough row to hoe even after this wipe down effort.
    Next I soaked a cotton swab with Gunzilla and ran that through the bore. as expected it came up nearly pitch black. I ran a second cotton swab through again soaked in Gunzilla and did that three times. Visually inspecting the bore it was very well wet with fluid so I let it sit to the side resting on end at the vertical to allow sediment and fluid to pore down and out toward the crown.
    The frame and rails were baked on black. I applied a bit of Gunzilla and let that sit too to soak in as I went to work on the slides interior.
    The slide cleaned up easy and quick with Gunzilla even at the lugs which prior had been grey and came up grey but not shiny as in metal worn. Slide Glide FTW to that end.
    20 minutes and half of the Steely Dan 'Greatest Hits' disc 1 album later I went back to the barrel. Two more cotton swabs run through and it came up squeaky clean. I ran a third swab through and it was literally squeaky clean. I did that four times simply out of 'Wow!' factor. Then I ran a cotton cloth through the bore as a final wipe out. BTW the feed ramp which had been completely grey/black with residue that would not lift upon scraping with my finger nail came 100% clean after soaking and with little effort beyond thumb pressure and a cotton cloth. Impressive.
    Last was the frame and those rails. Same as the feed ramp almost all the gunk wiped off with a light to medium effort of thumb friction against a cotton cloth. A few spots required my thumb nail but those too came right off. No real effort on the whole. Again I was impressed.

Then came the same steps as I'd done prior with my CCW gun, let it air dry following a wipe down and next day inspect visually for reside, reassemble, friction feel test, breakdown, apply Slide Glide, reassemble a second time, friction test a second time, load, chamber, and put away locked ready for use.
    Yesterday at the range I tested for both function as and accuracy. Neither seemed to be affected to my eye and hand for either pistol. The CCW gun of the month is a 9mm 1911 and it seemed to cycle smoother than normative as it had when it was new on factory lube (Springfield Armory). It ran like a nail gun, kerchink kerchink kerchink.
    The other is a .45 and again basically the same deal shooting out to the backstop at 60'. Half dollar size groups of 5, running WWB. Normative.

So a long story short I am sold on Gunzilla.
    Not to say that Weapon Shield, which I'd also entertained, or others are not as good or possibly even better. But to my own experience with first brake cleaner and Simple Green, then Hoppes, followed by Breakfree CLP, and now Gunzilla for cleaning firearms I am a satisfied and impressed new customer.

Regards,

- Janq
    Last edited by Janq; October 10th, 2008 at 10:16 PM.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Ed's Red... for all your cleaning needs. Good stuff and simple to make.

Well here is the Ed's Red , I think I'll stick with the Gunzilla.

That looks like some potent stuff.

"Wipe spilled Ed's Red from exterior surfaces before storing the gun. While Ed's Red is harmless to blue and nickel finishes, the acetone it contains is harmful to most wood finishes."

- C.E., "Ed" Harris
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Thumper,

So a long story short I am sold on Gunzilla.
    Not to say that Weapon Shield, which I'd also entertained, or others are not as good or possibly even better. But to my own experience with first brake cleaner and Simple Green, then Hoppes, followed by Breakfree CLP, and now Gunzilla for cleaning firearms I am a satisfied and impressed new customer.

Regards,

- Janq

Wow Janq, I couldn't have asked for a better report! Thanks.

I'm heading to Front Sight in a week so will be running my Springfield good and hard for 4 days. The last thing I want is to come back each day and spend an hour cleaning a gun!

The Weapon Shield is a very good product so far and using it as a lube (with a little TW25 on the rails too) and then cleaning with it has been a pleasant experiance. Clean up is faster and my gun hasn't dried out quickly from holster carry like it used to.

But I'll take the Gunzilla with me too and compare them... let the best cleaner win!

I'll report back when I return.

Thumper
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I buy most all my gun cleaners and lubes from the local farm stores or the Napa dealer. Much cheaper.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by NYcarry View Post
    Well here is the Ed's Red , I think I'll stick with the Gunzilla.

That looks like some potent stuff.
    Do as you wish.

Hoppes 9 for barrel
    chlorine free break cleaner for slide and everything else
    synthetic motor oil to lube

Brake cleaner & Motor oil?? How many MPH get you get with that hot rod?
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

I don't like to advertise in this thread, because that's what the sponsor pages are for.

Check out the Gunzilla thread in the sponsors topics, there is a summary of some tests done that might help with your decision.

For those who have tried it, thanks for being opened minded and thanks for the reports.
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

Anxious to spiff up my newly arrived M1 Carbine, I grabbed some CorrosionX I happen to have aboard my boat. I knew it work wonders on other metal-to-metal applications. Minutes later, I was happy with the mini project....the little carbine was working like new. So, I did a Google search on CorrosionX and whatda know, it has an entire web section on gun cleaning applcations and some rave reviews from gun magazine editors. Color me pleasantly surprised.

CorrosionX Gun Care Uses

Gunzilla only available online?
    Glock 32 (357 sig)

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I've always just used Rem-Oil in the spray can plus Hoppes solvent for the bore. Seems to work okay.

At one point I tried one of those 'uber solvent' spray can things, and I did a good job of melting the Bakelite grips on my PPK!

I guess that just means I need to replace them with nice wood ones, right?
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links