Is this limp wristing? Need suggestions.

This is a discussion on Is this limp wristing? Need suggestions. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My wife has had 2 FTF having shot just a little under 600 rounds through her P99C 9mm. The only ammo she has used has ...

Thread: Is this limp wristing? Need suggestions.

My wife has had 2 FTF having shot just a little under 600 rounds through her P99C 9mm. The only ammo she has used has been 115 GR. FMJ American Eagle, 127 GR. +P+ Winchester Ranger, & 115 GR. FMJ Winchester.

The first FTF happened using 115 GR. FMJ American Eagle. I did not have an opportunity to inspect the round.

Today she had another FTF using 115 GR. FMJ Winchester. It was the 5th or 6th round out of 10 in the clip. Press the trigger and no bang. She put down the gun and had me look at it. I took out the clip. I racked back the slide and the round came out. I noticed no mark on the round. I placed round back in clip. Pulled back slide. Pulled trigger, went bang, hit target.

So as I understand it, this is a classic limp wrist situation, right?

I'm a little concerned, as this is her go to, when I'm not home, SD weapon. A shot gun would be nice, and we have one at the ready, but not the direction she feels comfortable with, so handgun it is.

I'm worried in a Home SD situation, she may limp wrist with a semi-auto. So I would like to consider a revolver. I'm thinking .38 Spl or .38 SPL+P out of a 3 inch .357 Mag 6 shot S&W (thinking used). What do you think about this as a Home SD weapon? I could go with something smaller, but there will not be a CC concern. She has a CCW, but due to her job, she can not even store a gun in her car (ya, it sucks, but thats another tread).

So a revolver a good idea?
    Is training the key and I'm over thinking it?
    Last edited by Thanis; October 11th, 2008 at 11:30 PM.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    Press the trigger and no bang. She put down the gun and had me look at it. I took out the clip. I racked back the slide and the round came out. I noticed no mark on the round. I placed round back in clip. Pulled back slide. Pulled trigger, went bang, hit target.

So as I understand it, this is a classic limp wrist situation, right?

So a revolvwer a good idea?
    Is training the key and I'm over thinking it?
    Not a limp wrist problem. If the round didn't fire, you got another problem and I've never heard of this from a P99C. Did she hear or feel the firing pin when she pulled the trigger and just get a little click? Did you try to fire it again before you racked the slide?

As far as a revolver goes, I strongly recommend it. I've both a S&W mod 442 and a 60. Both are 2" and personally I'd recommend that since even though you don't plan on using it as a CC, the option is always there. They are very concealable. IMO a 2" is all you need for a house SD gun.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Today she had another FTF using 115 GR. FMJ Winchester. It was the 5th or 6th round out of 10 in the clip. Press the trigger and no bang. She put down the gun and had me look at it. I took out the clip. I racked back the slide and the round came out. I noticed no mark on the round. I placed round back in clip. Pulled back slide. Pulled trigger, went bang, hit target.
    Since the round chambered, and it extracted when you pulled back the slide, I don't thing that's indicative of limp-wristing actually. I'm not really familiar with the P99C operating system though, otherwise I might take a stab at the other possibilities like safety interlock systems or others. Sorry I aint much help.

Ron
    I had the same thing happen with my P99c a few times, but the round fired on the second pull. I cleaned my firing pin at the suggestion of some guys on the Walther forum and it never happened again.

I really don't think it had anything to do with limp wristing.

Revolver is a good idea for home defense for her in any event. I have a S&W642, which I really like. It has Crimson Trace Laser Grips,which might be helpful at night along with a good light, and is light enough if she wants to carry it.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

So in a limp wrist, does the round not chamber?

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    So in a limp wrist, does the round not chamber?
    Most of the times.....NO. Usually it's a failure to completely eject or feed. The "limp wrist" issue generally involves the slide not fully recoiling and actuating like it was originally designed. It could be a failure to eject, or a failure to feed, and in most cases both happen simultaneously. Revolvers do not have this problem because they operate on mechanics alone. Most semi auto pistols work off the recoil energy created by firing and cycling. Newton's laws of motion come into play once again, and the object must be stationary, or as near stationary as possible for all of the actions and reactions to work as the engineered design was intended. Limp-wristing seldom has anything to do with the firing pin in a pistol not doing it's job. Anticipating recoil often results in FTF's as it can lead to a "limp wrist" hold on the pistol.

How often does she clean the gun. She may have gotten oil of some sort of cleaner in the firing pin hole, if she did it would collect grime an can cause the firing pin to not function properly.Do a complete cleaning of firing pin and make sure the hole is dry and all gunk cleaned out of slide. That is the most likely problem. While you have the firing pin removed examine closely and make sure it is not bent.

Administrator
    Well, I came back to tell you how to fix your gun, but my post got deleted. Oh well, I guess we'll never know now.... but it isn't limp wristing.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Did the striker/hammer fall when she pressed the trigger, or just nothing happened? If nothing, maybe something dragged on the slide and it didn't go fully into battery. If it happens again try slapping the back of the slide and fire again. Possibly riding the slide with thumb, or weak recoil spring, limp wrist, or all of above?

If the case is a little out of spec and the slide doesn't fully go into battery the firing pin will not strike the primer,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    Did the striker/hammer fall when she pressed the trigger,...
    She said the trigger went click. But I know there were no marks on the round.

Sponsored Links