Defensive Carry banner

French surplus rifle

5K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  pfcslr 
#1 ·
My Father-in-law gave me a project rifle this weekend, it is a Continsouza model Mle-M-16 made in 1917. From what I was told it is an 8mm x 50R cartridge. Does anyone know anything about the rifle or cartridge? Before I invest in refinishing, a reloading press and dies, scope, and all I am hoping for some background. Thanks in advance for any and all information!

Thanks,
Searn

#5 ·
Pictures? I have handled a French bolt gun , but not sure the model. . It was a battlefield pick up by mt grandfather during WW2.

#7 ·
If its in original condition you might want to reconsider refinishing it. It would lose any future collectors value. If its safe to shoot you can still shoot it as is.
Even if its not a collector now ya never know what the future will be.

Michael

#8 ·
OK Tell me why everyone is so down on the French. I know they kicked us off the bases the U.S. used to have there, but they didn't get anything. Everything was trashed when we left, even the sewers were filled with concrete. There really seems to be a lot of prejudice on here towards them................?????????

#10 ·
I hate to be a killjoy but the member did post a serious forum thread and he is looking for help with his rifle restoration and also informative/helpful information about his firearm so...could we at least attempt to help the member out in between negative comments about the French?

Please notice that the thread is not posted in Off Topic & Humor.

This page on wikipedia might help to get you started and there is a link there as to the cartridge information. CLICK HERE

Try to post a couple of PICS of your rifle if you are able to do that.

#11 ·
The cartridge is also known as 8mm Lebel. I have one and it is an absolute hoot to shoot. I love it. Haven't found a real target grade accurate load yet, but it is a blast! I've got about 200 pieces of brass, I think. I am in Baghdad right now and nowhere near my stuff to help you out anymore. But do a Google for 8mm Lebel and you will get quite a bit of info. It is one of my favorite guns to shoot. Don't think you will have much luck scoping it though. Not without permanent modification of the receiver.

I got mine for $150!

#15 ·
Thanks!!

I appreciate all of the input form the group. The local "toy" store was nice enough to offer some advice too. I am planning to save for a new rifle and take this one as a longer term project, she has some rust in the chamber and light corrosion in the barrel that I will work on removing and then try to stop from returning with hard chrome inside. But for being 92 years old she is in good shape. I think a new outfit of ceracote (SP?) might look nice.

I don't want to start a debate over the character of the French, but I will tip my hat to the brave men of the Foreign Legion, and also to the memories of those who helped a young nation in need of help ridding it's self of a colonial power from a distant island. We might not always agree but I am glad that we are both arount to annoy each other! It seems to me that the nations of the world are like a disfunctional family who are always fighting with some family member who was their most trusted confidant just the other day.

Well I need to go, but if anyone has any ideas or knows how to remove the bolt please let us know.

If I offended anyone with the rant above I only intended to provide another point of view, and am more than willing to entertian a freindly debate in the Off Topic section, after all our nation was founded on a free flow of ideas and open minded debates!:gah:

Thank you all,:smile:
Searn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.