Locked and Loaded 24/7

This is a discussion on Locked and Loaded 24/7 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Any harm come from having one in the chamber 24/7? Also would putting one in the pipe as in +1 avoid the issue of bullet ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Locked and Loaded 24/7

Locked and Loaded 24/7

Any harm come from having one in the chamber 24/7?

Also would putting one in the pipe as in +1 avoid the issue of bullet set back?

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    No, it wont hurt it. But a lot of loading/unloading the same cartridge will.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Fixxxer View Post
    Do you mean taking a lone bullet and placing it in the chamber with your fingers, or do you mean chambering a round to get +1?

I think if you were to do a search, you woul d find that that there is some setback, thus some rechamber the same round once or twice, then rotate ammo.

Could you clarify your first question? Harm from what?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Any harm come from having one in the chamber 24/7?
    No. Not unless you pull the trigger when you don't need to.
    I too am at a loss for the situation you are attempting to purvey here. More info required.

Taking one bullet and placing it inside the chamber instead of racking it with a mag in.

Sorry for not clarifying.

I think if you were to do a search, you woul d find that that there is some setback, thus some rechamber the same round once or twice, then rotate ammo.

Could you clarify your first question? Harm from what?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Thanks Ram Rod for the answer to my first question.

As for the second.

I know there is set back from regular loading of the same round from magazine to chamber, I was just wondering if there was set back from placing the round in the chamber myself, like putting one in while the slide is back.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I've heard that some weapons can have extractor issues from putting it in the chamber and releasing the slide instead of racking it from a magazine. I don't know which ones would be affected though, so I just go from the mag for all my weapons, and rotate rounds. Definitely no harm in staying locked and loaded 24/7 though.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Thanks Ram Rod for the answer to my first question.

As for the second.

I know there is set back from regular loading of the same round from magazine to chamber, I was just wondering if there was set back from placing the round in the chamber myself, like putting one in while the slide is back.
    Not recommended for the auto pistol! Your extractor may take a beating in the process. Semi-auto pistols were designed around the magazine feeding device and the cartridge rim coming up into the notch as to the engineering. My suggestion would be to use the magazine full, and let the slide strip one off the top, then remove mag and load another on top....or, keep a 'charging mag', chamber a round, then insert your full carry mag. Once the slide slams home, what you're thinking won't make a difference as far as bullet set back is concerned. You should put this notion out of your mind in my opinion, and take care of your pistol's extractor in the process.

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Not recommended for the auto pistol! Your extractor may take a beating in the process. Semi-auto pistols were designed around the magazine feeding device and the cartridge rim coming up into the notch as to the engineering. My suggestion would be to use the magazine full, and let the slide strip one off the top, then remove mag and load another on top....or, keep a 'charging mag', chamber a round, then insert your full carry mag. Once the slide slams home, what you're thinking won't make a difference as far as bullet set back is concerned. You should put this notion out of your mind in my opinion, and take care of your pistol's extractor in the process.
    Exactly !!!
    Some pistol are more tolerant than others, but it is still extra work for your extractor; it has to go outboard over the ridge instead of the cartridge getting under it smoothly as it rises from the mag.
    BTW, it has been a week or two (maybe three) since I unloaded my 2 Glocks. Go by the manual and don't sweat the small stuff
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Alright guys thanks for the info.

Glad you asked about placing the round in the chamber, Fixxxer. I have heard of issues on certain guns when someone does that.

I previously wondered about setback in my bullets, but I rarely unchamber any more. On the rare occasion that I do, I either set that bullet aside to shoot at the range, or I make a mental note and only rechamber it one more time before shooting it. I'm sure I'm being overly cautious about it, but it's just one less thing to overlook if I can eliminate the possibility altogether.

Setback is a serious concern if it happens, so I agree you are right to be concerned about it. One way to deal with it is to seldom unchamber, if your lifestyle and gun-storage habits permit.

Administrator
    Taking one bullet and placing it inside the chamber instead of racking it with a mag in.

Sorry for not clarifying.
    No, thats stupid. Dont do it. Rack one in, then add your Barney bullet to the magazine.
    "Just blame Sixto"

AEA
    By adding a Barney Bullet to the Mag, you could be overstressing the magazine. i used to do it all the time, but found that in some 1911's it is not a good idea.

For example, I would always do it on a full sized 1911 with no problems. Then I got a Commander Model (with full sized frame) and it was VERY difficult to do it. The mag would hardly go in and seat with the mag catch. Not sure why this was, but then got to talking to several gunsmiths about it and they told me I should NEVER do it.

In other words, use a 8 round mag as what it is. That is strip one off into the chamber and leave the other 7 alone. Same with a 7 rounder, strip one off and leave the other 6 alone. You mags will last a lot longer and you are not gaining much by the one bullet anyway!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links