Letter to Wally World

This is a discussion on Letter to Wally World within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Suprising update posted next page. Dear Manager, We live in a location in Tennessee where we have easy access to six different Wal-Marts and two ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Letter to Wally World

Letter to Wally World

Suprising update posted next page.

Dear Manager,

We live in a location in Tennessee where we have easy access to six different Wal-Marts and two Sams Clubs in TN and VA.

I work third shift and doing so means I usually shop in the early morning hours usually between 2 and 4 am. This morning my wife and I decided to go to the new Wal-Mart on Market St in Johnson City TN for the first and possibly the last time. This is a weekly trip and we usually spend in upwards of $200. As usual at Wal-Mart the greeter was pleasant and asked how we were doing. We went straight to women’s clothing; I was just standing there while my wife was looking.

After a second or two a cashier according to the little yellow tag walked up to me and said rather abruptly “Sir we don’t allow pistols in the store” I advised her I have a valid TN Handgun Carry Permit. At which point she replied “don’t matter you have to leave”. Under TN law if asked to leave I have to so I did.

I have carried in the five other Wal-Marts and both Sams and have never had any problems. I sometimes get a curious look, once a stocker asked how she could go about getting a permit. But nothing like this morning.

I have 2 problems with what happened this morning as follows:

First I have several friends that work at local Wal-Marts and am aware that it is your companies policy that cashiers are not to confront any customer, even shoplifting has to be witnessed by a manager before loss prevention can approach a customer. So why did she say anything at all to me. Far more bizarre to me was the obvious plain clothed loss prevention guy was standing there talking to the cashier as I was walking out. Why was he too much of a coward to say anything, and why are you even paying him.

Second I have been fingerprinted, background checked, and trained above and beyond the level that the state requires. It is not someone who is a law-abiding citizen that legally carries a firearm secured in a holster that you have to fear. The ones you want to fear are the criminals who walk through the door with a gun in their hand intent on robbery or killing.

You can check it online now; the crime rates are steadily climbing in the Johnson City area. Would you want to walk around in Johnson City with your family at 3am with out some form of protection? The average response time for the JCPD is four minutes by then it is too late, also the JCPD qualifies with their side arms 1hr every other month and most don’t practice anymore than that. So am I willing to bet my and my families lives on someone who is four minutes away with 6hrs training a year? I would think not.

Finally keep in mind that there are over 200,000 carry permits in this state. Also keep in mind that Wal-Mart is no longer very competitive, your prices are often beat by grocery stores and we have three new Targets in the area now.

I understand there was a recent very near tragedy in a Sams in North Carolina; this was caused by an act of blatant stupidity. Please don’t let the actions of one make us all appear bad to you. Also remember a couple years back a Wal-Mart employee who was being stabbed to death was saved by a customer who was legally carrying in I believe Arizona.

I am sending this letter through the website however I will also call the manager of this store during regular hours today.

Chip
    Piney Flats, TN
    Last edited by chipperi; October 13th, 2008 at 09:47 AM.

2. Remove Ads

AEA
    How did she know you were armed?
    How did the stocker in one of the other stores know you were armed and asked about getting a permit?

Sounds a bit strange to me that people are routinely seeing you and determining that you are armed.

Possibly you should look at a better concealment routine?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chipperi View Post
    Far more bizarre to me was the obvious plain clothed loss prevention guy was standing there talking to the cashier as I was walking out. Why was he too much of a coward to say anything, and why are you even paying him.
    While I understand open carry is legal in TN, CC carry would have eliminated this situation.
    The only problem I see with your letter is the comment about the loss prevention person. Comments like that is only going to put them on the defensive. Without knowing Walmarts written policy, it may not be within the scope of his job to address the issue.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Funny thing is I was in another Wal Mart the other night on my lunch break and a JCPD officer looked at it and politely asked me what model Taurus that was. The cops don't even care if you carry. Most of the time I carry concealed sometimes I carry open it depends on how the mood strikes me. Usually concealed in the mall bank etc during crowded hours, 3am when we are the only 2 in the store I will carry open.

Administrator
    I'm sure you know what the word assume means. It makes an ass out of u and me.

I'd take your assumptions about the LP and PD out of there. It only shows your own faults.
    "Just blame Sixto"

CC would solve the problem, however, I thought I read about someone OCing in a WalMart and some manager or employee kicked them out. The OCer then talked to someone in corporate who apologized and said that it was OK to carry open(or concealed) as long as state law permits. The manager was then set straight, as he pretty much made up his own policy.
    I'd just clarify with corporate what their policy is, and if they tell you it's up to the manager of that store, that you'll be shopping elsewhere. Don't bother with loss control or anything like that. More than likely it's someone setting their own policy.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

You were inside the city limits and that may change the policy. Also, don't they have it posted on the door that no guns are allowed inside. A lot of JC business' are posted no carry. I think the Walmart up by Lowes is not inside the actual city boundary although that area was certainly annexed for tax reasons.

I boycott walmart for anything (except ammo - since I have a hard time finding reasonable prices and selection) since most of what they carry is chinese made and we buy american only unless it is not made in this country anymore.
    There's something happening here
    What it is ain't exactly clear
    There's a man with a gun over there
    Telling me I got to beware

I would kindly ask you to carry concealed whenever you go to Wal Mart from now on. Sure one should stand up for what's right, their rights, and what the law allows............but if you continue to open carry in WM and voice your displeasure of treatment to the corporate side-----it will only be a matter of time before we are all disallowed to carry in any fashion in any Wal Mart. Don't ruin it for the rest of the folks here. Please!

From what I've read before, WalMart corporate policy is that they abide by the state law concerning open or concealed carry in their stores. Does anyone know if that has changed?

I've carried once open in a walmart here in lexington , ky. i was in the electronics section and was confronted the head of wally world security. saying " a lady said she saw you had a gun and called security, thinking you were a disgruntled employee" i chuckled to myself and replied nicely, untill he asked to see my concealed carry permit (walmarts here just recently removed all "no cc or oc weapons" signs from there store) i told him that i had my permit, but was not and do not have to show it to him, due to the fact of KY being a big open carry state, and the fact that he was not a LEO. he just said that "we have to check all issues brought up by customers" and just thanked me for my time and walked away. he wasent mad or got pissy with me, its like he knew i was going to say it and respected it. needless to say i CC only now in walmart, so i do not freak out the herd. I know Open Carry in some states including KY is legal, but its really not worth the pointless BS that you will sometimes get because some old lady believes that only cops and bad guys have guns. I guess i'll have to wait till the $#%& hits the fan at our walmart for someone to respect the fact that i have it to save lives, not take them.
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

You were inside the city limits and that may change the policy.
    Nope no posted signs of any kind.

And no county, city, or local, ordinance can preempt state law.

JD
    Administrator
    Five posts have been removed.

If you don't have anything relevant to the actual topic of the thread, don't post it.

If this turns into a CC vs. OC debate, it's going to get locked and some other actions taken.

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Go to the manager ! Lots of times people are ignorant of the law and also there Company Policy.
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Thumbs up Talked to the boss

I just got off the phone with the Store manager and she sounded fairly ticked that I was asked to leave. She stated that she grew up in Rogersville around guns and owns a few of her own. She took the cashiers description as well as that of the loss prevention guy. She said it is fairly common to ask someone to cover it so as not to scare other non gun savy customers but that is only if someone complains. But not to ask them to leave. She stated she had only asked one person to leave when she was at another store and that was due to he was carrying 2 .44 revolvers in a western rig, that was scaring the other customers. I explained what happened, and other than employees my wife and I were the only 2 in the store so who complained. She said she would call me back sometime tommorrow as she has to talk to the night crew when they come in tonite. I was actually fairly suprised for Wal-Mart.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by chipperi View Post
    Nope no posted signs of any kind.

And no county, city, or local, ordinance can preempt state law.
    Unless there is specific language in your particular gun laws, I think you might be looking at preemption backwards. A local ordinance can be more restrictive, but it cannot be less than the states law.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links