Rock Island Armory Compatibility

This is a discussion on Rock Island Armory Compatibility within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Good day! I have a Rock Island Armory 1911 and was wondering about compatibility issues concerning that weapon. Specifically, I'm talking about holsters. It seems ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rock Island Armory Compatibility

Rock Island Armory Compatibility

Good day! I have a Rock Island Armory 1911 and was wondering about compatibility issues concerning that weapon. Specifically, I'm talking about holsters. It seems there are very few options for holsters made specifically for my RIA 1911, let alone concealed carry holsters. So, since it is similar in size/construction/operation to most other 1911s out there, could I choose a holster made for say, a Colt 1911 for example, and have it work?

2. Remove Ads

I don't own any 1911's...But I can't imagine the dimensions are hardly any different.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

From what I understand the Rock is a clone of a WWII issue 1911. Any colt 1911 holster should fit like a glove.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

My RIA .45 works with all the 1911 holsters I have. I really like my Rock!
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    Yep, RIA is made on old Colt machinery left over from WWII, or so I'm given to understand. Made by Armscor of the Philippines, these are almost exact replicas. In fact, I had a Charles Daly (also of Armscor) that was made before the advent of MIM (serial number was CD1097). The small part quality was on par with other 1911 pistols of that period.

The only item on my RIA that I've found is not 100 percent compatible is the mag release: It seems to be a bit smaller than its American contemporaries, and so most aftermarket versions need to be fitted.

Josh <><

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua M. Smith View Post
    Yep, RIA is made on old Colt machinery left over from WWII, or so I'm given to understand.
    No, it isn't, they don't have Colt's old machinery.
    The RIAs are not exact copies of Colt's. Measure the circumference of the grip frame, they are not the same. But that's minor point and won't effect a holster purchase.

Made by Armscor of the Philippines, these are almost exact replicas. In fact, I had a Charles Daly (also of Armscor) that was made before the advent of MIM (serial number was CD1097). The small part quality was on par with other 1911 pistols of that period.

Josh <><
    You might want to check your dates, Metal Injection Molding has been around a lot longer than you maybe aware.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

The first was internet rumor, but seemed to be somewhat true as, if I remember my history correctly, we manufactured quite a few in the Philippines during '44-'45.

I do know that there wasn't any MIM in my CD, but there was in the later CDs and in my RIA (before I replaced it all).

Josh <><

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua M. Smith View Post
    The first was internet rumor, but seemed to be somewhat true as, if I remember my history correctly, we manufactured quite a few in the Philippines during '44-'45.
    We didn't manufacture any M1911A1s in the Philippines. Colt's were made in Hartford, Connecticut, Singer's were made in Elizabeth, New Jersey, Remington-Rand's were made in Syracuse, New York, Union Switch & Signal's in Swissvale Pennsylvania and Ithaca's in Ithaca, New York.

I do know that there wasn't any MIM in my CD, but there was in the later CDs and in my RIA (before I replaced it all).

Josh <><
    Yes, very early CD's may have been all cast, they didn't have the quality of forged or barstock small parts though.

~ Tiger McKee

Your RIA should be milspec. Any milspec parts should fit. It is after all, a 1911 model. Several pistols/parts are still made in the PI. Lot's of Harley Davidson motorcycles are made in Okinawa too!

OD*
    The RIA's are nice pistols, but they are not built to military specifications (very few are).

~ Tiger McKee

Colt never manufactured in the PI. During the war, the Filipinos were very resourceful and started manufacturing copies of the best guns going at the time. They used the best they had, but it was far from the standards or quality of the US. As far as I'm concerned, it's the same today, but under different circumstances. In the war, it was necessity. Today, they are contracting for US companies that want the cheapest 1911s they can put on the market.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Administrator
    Also do not think Chas Daly could be made on any old Colt machinery either...because the C. Daly slides and frames are investment castings and are not machined from forgings like Colt.

Internet rumor. See my disclaimer :)

Josh <><

Administrator
    Yepper, ya gotta watch out for all of that so called "truthful information" eternally floating around out there on the Internet.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I have a Rock that has since had a facelift. I replaced the recoil spring with a heavier Wolfe spring. It now has a Wilson Combat hammer, beavertail and match trigger; an extended thumb safety, Novak fiber optic sights, checkering on the front and back straps, a match bushing and has been (deep) blued. It shoots 2" groups at 25 yards off of a bag rest and sits very well in a Desantis Speed Scabbard as well as a Don Hume Jit. You will have fun tricking yours out if you choose to to that.

My friend did all the work and said today the barrel is a very good one. I'm curious as to who made the barrel.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links