Screwy feeding problem

This is a discussion on Screwy feeding problem within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Friend reloaded some .45 ACP SWC's and one round chambered backwards - yup, bullet pointed towards the firing pin. Any idea how this happened?...

Thread: Screwy feeding problem

Screwy feeding problem

Friend reloaded some .45 ACP SWC's and one round chambered backwards - yup, bullet pointed towards the firing pin. Any idea how this happened?

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Care to clarify the statement? Is only the bullet set in the casing backwards? Or is the entire cartridge facing the wrong way?
    If the bullet is reloaded in the casing backwards either your friend or the loader placed the bullet in backwards. It you think the gun somehow turned the cartridge 180 degrees, I doubt its possible.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Yep, I think he means that either the loader or the person loading the piece of lead into the case put it in upside down.

You need to give him that round back, have him pull it and then turn it around and reseat it the right direction.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Yep, I think he means that either the loader or the person loading the piece of lead into the case put it in upside down.

You need to give him that round back, have him pull it and then turn it around and reseat it the right direction.
    If that is the case, I would give him that round back and all others he loaded and tell him to keep them.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

I think he means the whole cartridge chambered backwards in the pistol. Case forward, bullet toward the shooter. Guessing it may have been loaded into the magazine backwards. I guess it is possible to have one do a 180 on you out of the magazine if the top round sprung out of the mag before it was stripped from the top. Very rare I'm sure. But I could imagine it happening.

Yup, Ram Rod got it. Bullet in case like supposed to be. Round chambered with primer towards the front and bullet facing back. Trying to give him the benefit of the doubt in not assuming he put the round in the mag backwards :).

Administrator
    I read his post and took it that the round flipped during the feed from the magazine to the chamber.
    That used to happen sometimes with full wadcutter ammunition when the magazine feed lips were not reconfigured AKA reforged to feed wadcutter.
    The overall cartridge length was short and the standard unaltered 1911 magazines would release the cartridge too early and before the cartridge could contact the ramp or engage the extractor.
    In other words the standard mags would not hold the cartridge case long enough since the Colt 1911 is a captive feed pistol.
    Then (best guess) upward pressure from the cartridge below would flip the round and either cause a general mis-feed or the round could rarely but, sometimes chamber the round backward as a fluke.
    The round (of course) would not fully chamber but, would usually really get pretty doggone stuck and would need to be driven out with a wooden dowel from the muzzle.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

If the feed lips of a magazine get damaged it can happen with any type of round. I have an old colt magazine that sometimes lets a round release before it is supposed to, once all the rounds shot out when the slide came back after firing the round in the chamber. Quite a shock to me I was glad I was at the range. New magazine was in order. This is one of the reasons I don't like a speed load where you eject a magazine and let it fall on the ground when practicing.

Links