minimal gun(s) for self defense

This is a discussion on minimal gun(s) for self defense within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Don't know where to post this and don't know if heading is so great, so please excuse on both accounts if I did post in ...

Thread: minimal gun(s) for self defense

Don't know where to post this and don't know if heading is so great, so please excuse on both accounts if I did post in wrong spot... Having said that, what would most here consider a good minimal collection for a gun owner for self defense? I know, ONE and/or up to as much as the wallet can tolerate but realistically, I don't have unlimited funds. Yes, newbie here. Sorry!

I currently have two old school .38 revolvers, a Bersa .380, a shot gun and a 9 mm on layaway. I don't have my CWL in hand yet, just waiting for the state to get off the pot, Halloween will be about 90 days so hoping I get it sometime in near future.

I am not sure which will end up as carry and which will be HD. The model 10 and shotgun for sure are HD with the pistols and snubbie vying for carry and/or BUG. I am not sure what would be best if SHTF either but guess something is better than nothing.

I am thinking, once confident with my pistols, one more 9 mm might "complete my family". My logic for duplicates is so the kids can share ammo since only one wallet feeding them... I don't know if I have fallen victim to gun "fever" or not... I suspect probably too late now. Oh, FYI, single middle aged female here. Just me and my dawgz.

Sounds like a good start to me. I would pick up a .22 pistol to help ease the price of practice. It will pay for itself quite quickly in ammo savings. You can shoot 550 rnds for about $13 vs the $100 you would pay for 9mm.
    Have fun with your new addiction.
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

Administrator
    Bare min. for HD is a good shotgun, pump action is my preference due to the utility factor.
    A handgun is nice to have too, and a must if your going to carry.

Now on to SHTF... My list widens, but the basics remain the same.

1.Shotgun
    2. Handgun
    3. AR, AK or SKS... you might want to buy that sooner than later.
    4. a good quality .22 rifle

Anything after that is luxery and personal preference. Some like to have a 30.06 or .308 in the mix, it just depends on your situation.

Just a piece of advice about calibers... you are on the right track if your thinking about keeping things the same. Choose a few calibers (common ones!) and stick with them. It makes things a lot easier.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Okay, I understand the logic on the AR, AK or SKS but I think if I am such a weenie on my pump shotgun (not shot yet) is the above a good choice, including if O ascends to the throne or not? Meaning, I understand the logic of getting for potential AW bans too. Heck, might have to strongly consider this BECAUSE might be a bartering tool if SHTF and still not used by me.

Speaking of bans, IF such a scenario happened, would they then be banned from being used legally at gun ranges? Very new to guns here so not so knowledgable on history of previous bans and what they meant in real world experience rather than news stories... I'd really hate investing in any gun I can't use or learn to use. Does that make any sense?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mantis View Post
    Okay, I understand the logic on the AR, AK or SKS but I think if I am such a weenie on my pump shotgun (not shot yet) is the above a good choice, including if O ascends to the throne or not? Meaning, I understand the logic of getting for potential AW bans too. Heck, might have to strongly consider this BECAUSE might be a bartering tool if SHTF and still not used by me.

Speaking of bans, IF such a scenario happened, would they then be banned from being used legally at gun ranges? Very new to guns here so not so knowledgable on history of previous bans and what they meant in real world experience rather than news stories... I'd really hate investing in any gun I can't use or learn to use. Does that make any sense?

The AR/AK'S etc are easier to shoot than the shotguns so dont worry about that.

Who knows what a new ban might impose, but previous bans only effected the manufacture of new. Existing were fine. A thing to know is that in the last ban, the value of the rifles and magazines went through the roof.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I just noticed the .22 rifle on your list. Logic being??? Thumping wabbits? Sorry, just trying to figure out scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by jhfox462 View Post
    Sounds like a good start to me. I would pick up a .22 pistol to help ease the price of practice
    I have heard this before but have also wondered if practicing with one gun translates to another... meaning recoil, FTFs, etc. on actual go-to gun. My original intent was a .22 but talked out of it repeatedly by anyone I spoke to, so no .22 yet.

BTW, a wise woman said the next person who diss-ed a .22 to me, I should ask if I could shoot them with one to demonstrate what they meant.

Administrator
    I just noticed the .22 rifle on your list. Logic being??? Thumping wabbits? Sorry, just trying to figure out scenarios.
    Yup... the 22 is one of the best game getting guns out there, and it doesnt destroy the meat in small game. It will not draw much attention either as its quite compared to a centerfire.
    You can also stock pile thousands and thousands of rounds if you wish without breaking the bank. The good old fashioned 22 can get most every job done in a pinch allowing you to save far more valued ammunition.

I have heard this before but have also wondered if practicing with one gun translates to another... meaning recoil, FTFs, etc. on actual go-to gun.
    No, it doesnt translate 100%, but it does allow the practice of the basics which always will translate, but so does dry firing.
    "Just blame Sixto"

BTW, a wise woman said the next person who diss-ed a .22 to me, I should ask if I could shoot them with one to demonstrate what they meant.
    Heh, I have heard that about 9mm! There are .22 uppers that are made to fit certain guns so you can use the same gun but shoot .22 through it (advantage arms for glock). I think that the .22 just lets you get more comfortable shooting even if it is a different model than your carry/HD gun. I will usually shoot about 3-400 rnds of .22 and then another 100-150 of 9mm when I practice.

I think the .22 rifle suggestion was for the SHTF scenario, and yes, the purpose would be as a critter getter.

Beat me to it SIXTO!
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

VIP Member
    Sounds like your on the right track. Like sixto suggested, look into an AR, AK or SKS. The SKS usually being the least expensive to buy. 7.62 ammo is fairly cheap to buy, can find it for around $5.00 a box. I like to use FMJ for practice and use either SP or HP for defensive purposes. A gun show can sometimes get you some good prices on ammo.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Get the 9mm for primary carry and one of the .38s for use as a BUG or as a "absolutely can't conceal anything else" gun.

Take the money you didn't spend on the other pistols and buy ammo and get some professional training so you know how to fight with the guns you have.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by jhfox462 View Post
    Sounds like a good start to me. I would pick up a .22 pistol to help ease the price of practice. It will pay for itself quite quickly in ammo savings. You can shoot 550 rnds for about $13 vs the $100 you would pay for 9mm.
    Have fun with your new addiction.
    Precisely!

I bought a Ruger MK III 22/45 about six months ago because I was sick of spending $100 a week at the range (I figure that the Ruger had paid for itself in three weeks). Not only does the .22 save money on practice ammo, but my hand doesn't feel like it's been crushed in a vice afterward.

If I started a new collection from scratch, a .22 of some type is a must...I like my Ruger Single Six (two cyclinders, .22LR and a .22Mag). Fun gun and plenty of power with the mag cyclinder.

Then I would get a .45 (my preference) or a 9mm pistol, a semi...for CCW.

A shotgun is a must for HD. Most prefer a pump or semi, but I like my good ole' coach gun...double barrel 12ga.

Then its a long gun for 'touching the ourskirts of the property. Either my AR-15 or a 30-30...(I have both), the 30-30 could be used for hunting and HD.

OMO

There are many variables...many opinions...

Have fun shopping.

Stay armed...have lots of ammo...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sponsored Links