How to tell what generation of Glock you have...

This is a discussion on How to tell what generation of Glock you have... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ??? I keep hearing about this and that generation of frame for Glocks, but can't seem to find any official information on this anywhere. So, ...

??? I keep hearing about this and that generation of frame for Glocks, but can't seem to find any official information on this anywhere. So, Glock lovers, do you have to check by SN, is there a telltale sign when you look at your Glock, or what? I have a G27 that's up for sale now, nobody has asked (so it might be that there's only a single generation of frames for that one), but now I'm curious. Went and joined Glocktalk to ask there, but for whatever reason they didn't send me the member confirmation email and don't answer any emails I've sent. So, I'll ask the guys who own them on here. What's the story?

The grip and rail tells you I beleive. 1st generation has no finger grooves or light rail. Pretty sure 2nd generation has finger grooves but no light rail, and 3rd generation has finger grooves AND a light rail.

Some additional info from GlockTalk

- 1st Generation has the smooth, rounded “pebble-grip”.
    - 2nd Generation has the “Grenade-style” checkering with NO fingergrooves (see picture).
    - 3rd Generation has BOTH fingergrooves AND accessory rail on the front dustcover.
    - If you have a subcompact (G-26, -27, -28, -29, -30, -33, -36) OR a “transition model” when Glock was putting fingergrooves but no accessory rail, then you have a 2.5 Generation. There is even a slight variation here, as some of the earliest G-26 & G-27s had smooth fingergrooves, without checkering in-between the grooves. Some people do not count the sub-compacts as 2.5 Gen since they came out after the 3rd Gen frames were already being made. Note: newer -29, -30 are now coming with rails.

Follow link below for more info on this subject:

Glock Serial Number Research Project (New) - Glock Talk
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ... they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

Does Glock do ANYTHING simple, or do they just take joy in complicating everything???

Quote Originally Posted by Slabsides45 View Post
    Does Glock do ANYTHING simple, or do they just take joy in complicating everything???
    LOL! Keeps life interesting don't it? Far as I'm concerned, the current production Glocks are the 4th generation. In my personal opinion....it's the raised "loaded chamber indicator" that makes the difference for me, but they will probably lump this in with the coming of the ambi- magazine/ mag release. My G19 is a fourth gen for all intents and purposes and came with new ambi hi-cap mags and loaded chamber indicator my other 3rd gens don't have. I have 3rd gens for the rest of my Glocks..finger grooves and rails. My G19's frame is also a different texture than my other 3rd gens for what it's worth. Here is the low-down on the generations of the pistols-----(the magazines are a totally different story!)
    1st generation smooth grip no finger grooves no rails
    2nd generation textured grip no finger grooves no rails
    3rd generation textured grip finger grooves accessory rails*
    From this site you will probably want to book mark: The Glock FAQ

Mags are a different story is right! There were several years where it took both hands to pry an empty mag from the well. Many folks have been burned by receiving 10 round post-ban mags too. Be careful buying used Glock magazines!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Mags are a different story is right! There were several years where it took both hands to pry an empty mag from the well. Many folks have been burned by receiving 10 round post-ban mags too. Be careful buying used Glock magazines!
    So true. While we are on the subject of Glock eras and the magazines, that same Glock FAQ link will give more info there as well. Again, I'll say that a lot of aftermarket bases such as the +1, +2, extenders and such are pretty much generation specific unless specified otherwise. If you are buying over the internet...ask questions of the seller, and solicit pics as well. It's still not a sure thing, and I'd trust most anyone here, but it's important to know your Glock mags. It can be confusing as well. I have never purchased used Glock magazines without seeing them in person although I've been tempted to trade here on the forum. Absolutely nothing wrong with NDF mags (non-drop free 1st generation) besides the age and possible spring weakness. I'm actually a firm believer in originals and they had a purpose until the sport shooting venue took over and said we want some mags that will drop free. Glock does cater to the trends and the customer no doubt. Who wouldn't when they see a good marketing opportunity? Glock on!

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Nothing a little dremel can not fix

Links