Delay response over week now - please help

This is a discussion on Delay response over week now - please help within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A little over a week ago I had a pistol sent to a ffl here in Florida from Tenn. When I went in for the ...

Thread: Delay response over week now - please help

A little over a week ago I had a pistol sent to a ffl here in Florida from Tenn. When I went in for the paperwork I got a delay response. We called back afer the three days and they said they are still working on it. I called the NICS and they said sometimes this could take a long while. My questions is, if I know I don't have any prohibitive material on my arrest record should I just go and pick up my gun?
    Last edited by davev; October 17th, 2008 at 06:56 AM.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Not absolutely positive about this, but it is my understanding that the Govt has 3 days to deny your application. After that period of time you may go ahead with the transaction.

Do you have a common name? Did you give your social security number on the form or did you leave that blank? Those are a couple of things that can hold up an background check.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Thanks for the replies. Yes gave the social, even went so far as to obtain my own report for the state wide search from FDLE. That was ok also. The name might be kind of common I guess.

VIP Member
    If in fact you have nothing in your record that would disqualify you for purchasing a gun. The deal at his discretion may proceed with the sale.

Federal Bureau of Investigation - CJIS-National Instant Criminal Background Check System Fact Sheet

When a transaction is DELAYED, the FBI NICS Examiner begins extensive research on the potential prohibitor. When the research is complete, the FBI NICS Examiner calls the FFL and gives a PROCEED or DENY decision on the firearm transaction.

On the third business day of a DELAYED transaction, the NICS Examiner is required to call the FFL and advise him/her of their rights under the Brady Act to transfer the firearm after the third business day. If the delayed transaction cannot be resolved within the allowed three business days, it is at the discretion of the FFL whether to allow the firearm transfer. However, the NICS Section continues to research the case in an effort to obtain complete disposition information. Business days do not include the day the check was initiated Saturdays, Sundays, and any day state offices in the state of purchase are closed.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Sponsored Links