Should gun club members be required to join the NRA?

This is a discussion on Should gun club members be required to join the NRA? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My gun club sent me a ballot with two measures up. One is to pass new bylaws and the other is a referendum on whether ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Should gun club members be required to join the NRA?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Should gun club members be required to join the NRA?

My gun club sent me a ballot with two measures up. One is to pass new bylaws and the other is a referendum on whether new and continuing members be required to be NRA members.

Just wondering how others felt.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    It is being put to a vote of the members. That is the way democratic organizations work. If the motion to require NRA membership passes, and you have no problem with the new rule, you stay as a member, since those are the rules of the club or you leave because you do not want to join.

If it were mandated by executive decision, I would have a problem with that. Since it will be a majority vote, how can anyone complain?
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    Although I'm sure that it is well meaning,requring a member of the club to become a member of a particular organization before they can join is not right, it is a form of discrimination.

There are lots of members that are very pro-gun that do not like the NRA for one reason or another.

Why should they be asked to compromise their postion to remain or become a member?

Of course, if put to a vote, then whatever will be, will be.

Free thinking people tend to be put off by such logic though.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

My local gun club requires NRA membership as a prerequisite. I've been an NRA member for a long time, and I have no problem with this. The reason behind the requirement is basically for insurance purposes...sort of like a group rate I'd guess. Everyone should have the freedom to choose. I could drive 60 miles to an indoor range, or 40 miles to a public range. My club has two ranges, and the closest one to me is two miles. I use it a lot.

Our local club requires membership in a gun rights organization, be it the NRA, SAO or Grassroots Gun Rights (local to SC). I think that's a good mix. It gives some choices. If you don't agree with joining a gun-rights group then why would you want to join a gun club?

David

VIP Member
    Isn't there an insurance benefit of such an requirement?

NO!
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Senior Moderator
    If you don't agree with joining a gun-rights group then why would you want to join a gun club?
    Maybe some people dont like being told what they must be a member of to join. Beleive it or not, some people just like to shoot.

Alienating them by requiring them to do something they dont want to do is not only stupid,it reeks of the same tactics that the anti gunners use.

We ought to be above such nonsense.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    The Muzzle loading club I belonged to in Oklahoma required you be a member of the NMLRA to join the club. It was the only way they could get discounted insurance through the Association. I am guessing it is the same with your club, requirement for members to be NRA members to get NRA Insurance.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I am a NRA member, but would vote against such a requirement. While I do support the big goal of the NRA, I am having my issues with some of the NRA rethoric and was pro-gun but anti-NRA for a while. So I can see where someone would be a "worthy gun club member" without being a n NRA member.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

VIP Member
    Surely they sent some sort of reasoning as to why the referendum on NRA membership. Why not post those as well so folks can make informed comments? Otherwise it just seems to be a stir things up thread.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

My club doesnt require it but they strongly request it and will give you all the info you need if you want to join. There are other clubs in the area that include a NRA membership in the yearly dues.

The basic dues for NRA membership does very little in a political sense. The NRA-ILA is the branch that does the fighting for gun rights. The $25 a person coughs up for membership is already spoken for, so if politics is your beef with the NRA, then don't donate any money outside of your membership fee. Remember the NRA is many things, lobbying is but 1, think of all the great training programs, materials, and benefits outside of the political lobby arm. How a person could be against all the safety and educational benefits of the NRA is beyond me. If Eddie Eagle save 1 child from an accidental shooting, isn't your $25 worth every penny?

Yep

NRA membership is a requirement for my gun club. To make it easy to join, they can arrange for your NRA membership and add the sign-up fees to your club fees when you first join.

It seems perfectly reasonable to me; plus, whenever an NRA course is hosted at the club, you usually get a discounted rate for being an NRA member.

-JT

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links