Cry Havoc and let Slip the Dogs of War - Page 2

Cry Havoc and let Slip the Dogs of War

This is a discussion on Cry Havoc and let Slip the Dogs of War within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Get a Kimber......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cry Havoc and let Slip the Dogs of War

Get a Kimber...
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

I've got nothing against Springfield, they make a great pistol. But you're doing yourself a disservice by not considering Colt. You can get a Series 80 Government in stainless for about $650 around here (NW PA). A stainless Mil-Spec will be only slightly less. Here are a couple of the reasons I like Colt better than Springfied, YMMV however.

- Colt uses only four MIM parts in their 1911's; the plunger tube, disconnector, mag catch and sear. I'm not sure of the exact number in Springfields, but it's more than four.

- Springfields are made in Brazil, Colt's are made in Hartford Connecticut. Buy American!

- All right, I'll admit I like having the prancing pony on the slide. There is something to be said for buying a pistol from the company that's been making them for nearly a century. Plus, any Colt will hold it's value far better than a Springfield, should you decide to sell at some point.

To be fair, Springfield actually has stayed truer to John Browning's design by not incorporating a firing pin safety as Colt has. However, now they're putting that idiotic Integral Locking system on, which offends me on principle. Anyway, the above are my reasons to prefer Colt to Springfield. My biggest reasons are the Made in America aspect and Colt's relative lack of MIM. Considering the small price difference, I'll go with the Colt everytime. Springfield also makes a nice gun, but they're not Colts. Whichever you choose, enjoy your new gun.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

If your gonna buy a colt but a series 70

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    The 01070A1CS is a series 70, its stainless, and its from the Colt Custom Shop, and can be had for around $820. You can't go wrong with it.

My only problem with Colt is pretty simple: local lack of availability on a lot of models and local overinflated prices. One shop I know of does get them in regularly, and sells them all at just slightly below full MSRP. There is also a waiting list. Every single one they get in is sold before it ever reaches the shop.

It's just good capitalism and I don't blame the gun stores. The only reason they get away with it is that people pay it.

The local market on Colt is ridiculous. The government model, last time I saw one brand new in a gun store, was $1100.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Re just the cal Euc - there's always a SIG 220 - and a trade in might keep price sensible.
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh , my man wants a 1911, and only a 1911 will fill that need
    Bad Chris bad, bad, bad, (J/K Chris)

http://www.gcop.net/colt.htm

Have the gun shop order it for you. No need to wait till one comes in. Should only take 4-5 days on the average to get there. My XSE came in in 4 days.

Wow I didn't know that existed. Gracias Bruces45. That's much more reasonable.

Won't make any moves on this for a while to be honest, but I try to research these things out months beforehand.

Colts seems to have went up in price here to a premium also just like Euc is saying there selling what looks to be the plain jane colt for around 895 here

In something like this, I'm a proponent of the "Don't necessarily get the cheapest one but don't get the most expensive one either" mindset.

I'll figure out what I think is the best value dollar for dollar and go with that.

Now if I had serious intentions I would get whatever I wanted, but I don't.

i would look at a loaded from springfield also i think those are the Best $ for $ ya get most the custom features for about 800

IMHO the best dollar for dollar 1911 (upper class 1911 that is) is the Colt XSE line, I bought the commander XSE about 1 1/2 monmths ago and couldn't be happier with it. I paid $875 out the door for it (had mu local gun shop order it for me), I have put just over 1,200 rounds through it so far without a single problem. Only thing I have done to iut is change the grips to some Houge finger groove grips. Without a doubt that is the most accurate out ofd the box 1911 I have had.

ya need a beavertail bruce instead of that Duck butt grip safety

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    ya need a beavertail bruce instead of that Duck butt grip safety
    I'm working on it.

The colt XSE looks good but round here there wanting a Cool 1K for one must admit i have sinned and have a new glock be here tomm i thinks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links