Cry Havoc and let Slip the Dogs of War

This is a discussion on Cry Havoc and let Slip the Dogs of War within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well since I'm a leg up on the new year as I have that AK clone, I am considering getting a 1911 pattern pistol for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cry Havoc and let Slip the Dogs of War

Well since I'm a leg up on the new year as I have that AK clone, I am considering getting a 1911 pattern pistol for giggles because hey, everyone should have one even if they're not members of that cult. I am after all looking to get my mitts on the sooner-to-be-available-than-I-had-originally-thought XD45, which means I'll be vested in the caliber at last.

For a long time I'd thought I'd eventually get this little guy right here.

But I've also been considering this other little guy right here.

The Milspec has the advantages of 3 dots sights and the lowered ejection port, however, this won't really be a gun for social work.

At worst I'll play with it at the range, at best I'll start monkeying with it and screw it up.

I'm not married to Springfield per se, but none of the other 1911 makers make anything that catches my attention. My requirements are pretty simple: I want a reliable government sized historically accurate pistol. I don't want a super accurate target pistol, I don't want all sorts of tweaks. I realize getting a 1911 that runs out of the box without a lot of tweaking is a bit of a crap shoot.

I'd consider higher end brands if they offered something closer to these models which I am not aware of, and if it was an amazing deal I might consider lower end brands but I'm not paying $300 for a RIA or Charles Daly that will most likely have some sort of issue.

Yes I am aware dear reader that you possess the charmed RIA pistol which functions flawlessly and shoots more accurately than $1300 customs, and you likewise possess the SKS that shoots sub MOA. I do not share your luck however.

In short I want the pistol as it was meant to be, an old dinosaur of a gun firing a venerable old cartridge that went bang every time you pulled the trigger because it had to, because a young man's life was on the line.

The only major deviation from the standard 1911 I'm going to insist on is the stainless finish. I must have a stainless finish.

What say you?

Well as you know springfields are mostly my pic ive had zero problems but also have hd zero problems with my RIA didnt see that coming did ya... No sub MOA SKS though

On thing about the GI if you plan to reload it dents the cases and while not a super big deal can cause premature case wear.

Also if you have Big or fleshy hands your probley gonna need a beavertail on eiither gun and that will require a hammer change

i think the milspec might suit you the best for what your wanting

I am not adverse to switching a part or two if need be, but keep in mind I'm not going to carry this nor would I realistically take it to a class.

I might talk myself into a beavertail or something as one of my many insane little projects, but it's not my goal at the offset.

Denting the cases is a matter of concern indeed, as I will have the capability to reload here sooner or later and .45 ACP is expensive. Rolling my own would be much better.

Reason i bring up the beavertail is if you do have the big or fleshy hands even at the range the hammer bite isnt fun to deal with..

I have to have a beavertail on mine or else the gun tears up my hand ..

As said it dents the cases almost into a D pattern and they can be used but case life is shorter usually you can load a 45acp till the primers wont stay in the pocket any more

very rarely do i have case neck splits but all of my 45's have the widend and flared ejecton port that the Gi doesnt

Good points, but I'm crazy enough to order the parts and try installing it myself.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I've got a stainless loaded with a very low round count. I'm not terribly wild about it, but I keep it for the reason you mentioned above: everyone ought to have one.

If I spent the money on it for a trigger job it would likely move up in my opinion.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

just rember you have to gring the frame if you want a perfect beavertail ... if not a kings drop in on the springfield works well but doesnt look as good..

Also springfield uses a different frame radius so you have to order the part spefically for a springer not a big deal i think ed brown and wilson are both makeing the correct contour for a springer now

My G.I. stopped denting brass after the extractor was tuned. When I do see a dent its very small.

The only mods I made. Was add o-rings on the grip screws, to keep them from coming loose. And add whiteout, then bright pink nailpolish to the front sight.

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Euc, read this article, I would suggest a Colt 01070A1CS. You get a original 70 series pistol in stainless that comes right from Colts Custom Shop.

http://www.m1911.org/prodte26.htm

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    PINK??????????

Surrender immedately.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

PINK??????????
    No! Im not trying to make a statement.

Thats just one color you dont see in nature, or is common. So the post wont blend into the background. Pluse its the only obnoxously bright color I could find in my girl freinds makeup box. God knows Im not going to buy this crap myself.

Lead Moderator
    I like the SA lifetime warranty. And hear they will fix it fast for ya too. Yuo could alos look for a used Auto ord. or other decent 1911. Finding a stainless might be a bit harder.

Assistant Administrator
    Re just the cal Euc - there's always a SIG 220 - and a trade in might keep price sensible.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Euc,

I like the looks of that stainless model with the 5 inch barrel...P9151L I think. I'm saving my pennies for a .45 cal as well...it seems like the college fund keeps robbing my gun fund. Oh well, it'll just be a fun gun anyway...
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

Lead Moderator
    Euc,

That GI .45 looks real nice, it's suddenly got me tempted. I wish they made a relativily cheap match grade.

The one I got to use during my time on an Army pistol team started life as a "normal" 1911A1 and was worked over by the "boys" in the AMU arms room. Sure wish I could have kept that one!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links