Defensive Carry banner

Cry Havoc and let Slip the Dogs of War

4K views 41 replies 15 participants last post by  Scarface 
#1 ·
Well since I'm a leg up on the new year as I have that AK clone, I am considering getting a 1911 pattern pistol for giggles because hey, everyone should have one even if they're not members of that cult. I am after all looking to get my mitts on the sooner-to-be-available-than-I-had-originally-thought XD45, which means I'll be vested in the caliber at last.

For a long time I'd thought I'd eventually get this little guy right here.

But I've also been considering this other little guy right here.

The Milspec has the advantages of 3 dots sights and the lowered ejection port, however, this won't really be a gun for social work.

At worst I'll play with it at the range, at best I'll start monkeying with it and screw it up.

I'm not married to Springfield per se, but none of the other 1911 makers make anything that catches my attention. My requirements are pretty simple: I want a reliable government sized historically accurate pistol. I don't want a super accurate target pistol, I don't want all sorts of tweaks. I realize getting a 1911 that runs out of the box without a lot of tweaking is a bit of a crap shoot.

I'd consider higher end brands if they offered something closer to these models which I am not aware of, and if it was an amazing deal I might consider lower end brands but I'm not paying $300 for a RIA or Charles Daly that will most likely have some sort of issue.

Yes I am aware dear reader that you possess the charmed RIA pistol which functions flawlessly and shoots more accurately than $1300 customs, and you likewise possess the SKS that shoots sub MOA. I do not share your luck however. :wink:

In short I want the pistol as it was meant to be, an old dinosaur of a gun firing a venerable old cartridge that went bang every time you pulled the trigger because it had to, because a young man's life was on the line.

The only major deviation from the standard 1911 I'm going to insist on is the stainless finish. I must have a stainless finish.

What say you?

See less See more
#2 ·
Well as you know springfields are mostly my pic ive had zero problems but also have hd zero problems with my RIA didnt see that coming did ya... No sub MOA SKS though

On thing about the GI if you plan to reload it dents the cases and while not a super big deal can cause premature case wear.

Also if you have Big or fleshy hands your probley gonna need a beavertail on eiither gun and that will require a hammer change

i think the milspec might suit you the best for what your wanting

#3 ·
I am not adverse to switching a part or two if need be, but keep in mind I'm not going to carry this nor would I realistically take it to a class.

I might talk myself into a beavertail or something as one of my many insane little projects, but it's not my goal at the offset.

Denting the cases is a matter of concern indeed, as I will have the capability to reload here sooner or later and .45 ACP is expensive. Rolling my own would be much better.

#4 ·
Reason i bring up the beavertail is if you do have the big or fleshy hands even at the range the hammer bite isnt fun to deal with..

I have to have a beavertail on mine or else the gun tears up my hand ..

As said it dents the cases almost into a D pattern and they can be used but case life is shorter usually you can load a 45acp till the primers wont stay in the pocket any more

very rarely do i have case neck splits but all of my 45's have the widend and flared ejecton port that the Gi doesnt

#7 ·
just rember you have to gring the frame if you want a perfect beavertail ... if not a kings drop in on the springfield works well but doesnt look as good..

Also springfield uses a different frame radius so you have to order the part spefically for a springer not a big deal i think ed brown and wilson are both makeing the correct contour for a springer now

#12 ·
I like the SA lifetime warranty. And hear they will fix it fast for ya too. Yuo could alos look for a used Auto ord. or other decent 1911. Finding a stainless might be a bit harder.

#14 ·
Euc,

I like the looks of that stainless model with the 5 inch barrel...P9151L I think. I'm saving my pennies for a .45 cal as well...it seems like the college fund keeps robbing my gun fund. Oh well, it'll just be a fun gun anyway...

#15 ·
Euc,

That GI .45 looks real nice, it's suddenly got me tempted. I wish they made a relativily cheap match grade.

The one I got to use during my time on an Army pistol team started life as a "normal" 1911A1 and was worked over by the "boys" in the AMU arms room. Sure wish I could have kept that one!

#17 ·
I've got nothing against Springfield, they make a great pistol. But you're doing yourself a disservice by not considering Colt. You can get a Series 80 Government in stainless for about $650 around here (NW PA). A stainless Mil-Spec will be only slightly less. Here are a couple of the reasons I like Colt better than Springfied, YMMV however.

- Colt uses only four MIM parts in their 1911's; the plunger tube, disconnector, mag catch and sear. I'm not sure of the exact number in Springfields, but it's more than four.

- Springfields are made in Brazil, Colt's are made in Hartford Connecticut. Buy American!

- All right, I'll admit I like having the prancing pony on the slide. There is something to be said for buying a pistol from the company that's been making them for nearly a century. Plus, any Colt will hold it's value far better than a Springfield, should you decide to sell at some point.

To be fair, Springfield actually has stayed truer to John Browning's design by not incorporating a firing pin safety as Colt has. However, now they're putting that idiotic Integral Locking system on, which offends me on principle. Anyway, the above are my reasons to prefer Colt to Springfield. My biggest reasons are the Made in America aspect and Colt's relative lack of MIM. Considering the small price difference, I'll go with the Colt everytime. Springfield also makes a nice gun, but they're not Colts. Whichever you choose, enjoy your new gun. :hand10:

#20 ·
My only problem with Colt is pretty simple: local lack of availability on a lot of models and local overinflated prices. One shop I know of does get them in regularly, and sells them all at just slightly below full MSRP. There is also a waiting list. Every single one they get in is sold before it ever reaches the shop.

It's just good capitalism and I don't blame the gun stores. The only reason they get away with it is that people pay it.

The local market on Colt is ridiculous. The government model, last time I saw one brand new in a gun store, was $1100.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.