Red dot sight

Red dot sight

This is a discussion on Red dot sight within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Do red dot sights have magnification? I've been looking at afforbable ones $30-50 range and none of them have magnification. Are they just sights or ...

Thread: Red dot sight

Red dot sight

Do red dot sights have magnification? I've been looking at afforbable ones $30-50 range and none of them have magnification. Are they just sights or are they scopes with at least a bit of magnification? Do they all take batteries? Thank you.

TruGlo makes one with a 2x magnification I believe. Most don't magnify at all. Yes....."the affordable ones" should be good enough for general use on almost anything. I have an "affordable" BSA Red Dot for my AR-15 carry handle mount. Works fine and lasted for several years. Again....the "affordable ones" do require batteries. The model I have comes two ways...the dial or push button brightness settings. Red Dot sights are not scopes. The dot is illuminated and bounced off a mirror to appear unobstructed in the view in the center of the glass. Some of these optics also offer different reticle patterns or different colors. In my opinion, Red Dot sights shouldn't magnify to be used as intended.
    Mine uses relatively common 'coin' lithium batteries like the CR2032 I think.
    BSA Optics - Illuminated Sights

Thanks ram rod.

Example of a red-dot with magnification

Example of a red-dot that doesn't need batteries

I had a red-dot scope 4-5 years back that had 1-2x magnification, and was battery powered with adjustable brightness and adjustable red-dot size (MOA). It also had a little cap on top you could unscrew in the event your batteries failed/died and would gather light and project a non-adjustable red dot. I think i got it on sale for ~$50, but i don't still have it (no longer use red-dots) and i don't remember who made it. I'll try to find out though.
    The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says, "Go Away" in every language.

Fast is fine, accuracy is final. Learn to be slow in a hurry.

"I never met a man that had been in a gunfight and wished that he had a smaller gun. Ever."

VIP Member
    Normally, "red dot" sights do not have magnification, because they are for relatively close ranges, where quick target aquisition is paramount to pin-point accuracy. There are, of course, exceptions, as noted above. Also, the CQT from Leupold, while probably out of the "affordable" range, is a good optic.

Also, there are 3x and 4x magnifiers available for the most popular (and relatively expensive) optics, such as the AimPoint and the EOTech. This combination makes them even less affordable, but it a great combination that covers a broad range of applications quite well.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I have a BSA 30 mm red dot sight on my Remington 1187 slug gun. It's very fast of target acquisition, and has no parallax.

Sponsored Links