Please help me understand

This is a discussion on Please help me understand within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I guess it safe to assume most of us guys here carry to protect ourselves and loved ones. Have you ever gone out with a ...

Thread: Please help me understand

Please help me understand

I guess it safe to assume most of us guys here carry to protect ourselves and loved ones. Have you ever gone out with a lady who had a problem with you carrying?

Or maybe a wife who is well aware of the raise in crime, you may have had some armed robberies, home invasions, right in your neigborhood, or maybe had a close friend fall victim. So you decide to get a weapon, and you get the biggest hassle yet. But when the SHTF you are expected to do something.

Some women just will not let men be men. The only window shopping
    I do is at the gun shows. Mind you I only have two weapons G19, AR
    M4 type Stagarms.

Better yet, have you even had something happen like the alarm go
    off early in the morning! False alarm but, here comes the women
    "I am glad you had that gun"

So I am asking what in the hell is on their minds.
    You do not think the 9mm is effective? Then let me shoot at you.

2. Remove Ads

Well, first of all we're wired differently. We are the protectors and they are the nurturers - it's just in our DNA to be that way. There are exceptions. I'm fortunate to have one that agrees with me.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Senior Moderator
    Not all women are "insensitive" to the desire to defend life and love and not all men are the "defender" types.

I'm sure there are a few of us gals who would have just as much trouble finding a guy to understand why we carry. Or, worse yet, finding a guy who doesn't feel "demanned" because his woman is choosing to defend herself instead of relying on him solely for that purpose.

Both men and women have their natural quirks and then everyone has his or her own personal quirks.

I work in a gun shop and I see all manner of weirdness.

This guy doesn't want his wife to get interested in guns because he doesn't want her to "shoot him."

This guy doesn't want his wife to get interested in guns because, "It's a man's thing." (At which point he usually realizes he's saying this to a woman and says, "Umm, no offense.")

Some men want their wife to get interested in guns but only to the point where he still gets to make all of the choices for her: "You will buy this gun. This is how you will hold it. This is how you will shoot it. This is when and where you will carry it." And God help the poor sap who tries to encourage him to allow her to make her own choices.

Still other times there are men who wish their wives would get interested in it and it's not that they are against it they just don't see the need or the passion for it and get annoyed at the pressure their husbands put on them. They would carry or be interested if they wanted to/saw a need to and they just don't. Sorry.

I could go on all day about the different scenarios you can encounter.

I, for one, am a woman who understands the need for SELF defense (not defense via husband) and so I carry.

There are a score of men, every day, who tell me they wish their wives were more like me but you'd be surprised how many don't mean it. They LIKE being the HE-MAN defender and their little wifey hiding behind them waiting to be saved or rescued.

But there are some who sincerely wish their wives would take a more active interest in self defense (not just in the way of guns either, but ANY form of self defense).

However, I'm encouraged by how many women I DO see in the store, every day, by themselves, who are actively seeking the means to defend themselves. Or the ones who do come with their husbands/boyfriends/fiances and have decent enough men who let them pick their firearm themselves and make their own decisions.

Everyone has their peculiarities.

Please help me understand?
    Are you serious?
    So I am asking what in the hell is on their minds.
    Women?
    Men's/Women's Dictionary

THE MAN'S REMOTE

Unfortunately I don't see the "I need another gun" button. If you can't be superman, better be a good wizard or magician. I'm in the category that my wife thinks of me as protector and I'll fill that role. We've been down this road before, and quite frankly, she's better off with the pepper spray. She is confident knowing I carry all of the time, and she enjoys shooting the AR-15 or 10/22's, but pistols are out. I've told her the shotgun is coming soon, and she's fine with that so long as the budget will allow. The budget IS something we agree on ALL of the time.

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Are you serious?
    Women?
    Men's/Women's Dictionary

THE MAN'S REMOTE

Unfortunately I don't see the "I need another gun" button. If you can't be superman, better be a good wizard or magician.
    Hadn't seen that one
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Ron
    i don't think it unusual for women and, in fact, some men who were not raised with guns, nor served in the military to be fearful of guns. The idea of a gun in the house or "worse" carrying one around can, at first, seem very scary, particularly in their are kids in the house.

From my own experience, notwithstanding that my wife had come to terms with my owning a gun for home protection, when we moved to Florida and I decided to get my carry license and start to carry all of the time, she got quite upset, didn't see the reason, etc.

I didn't get angry about her feelings, but very patiently explained why I felt it was necessary, pointed out the increasing dangers on the streets of our cities, showed her every article or news report about some innocent person being killed, and told her that I felt it was my duty to protect our family and intended to do so whether she liked it or not, and told her that I would take a tactical training classs so that I would be confident that I could handle the gun safely and know what I was doing, if necessary.

She wasn't happy about it at first, but one night very late when we had to go to a hospital in a not too nice part of town because her mom had an emergency, as we got into the car she said to me "do you have your gun," and that was the turning point when I knew she had finally gotten it.

So time and patience will almost always bring the spouse around.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

I knew we needed new remotes in our house.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Links