glock impressions

This is a discussion on glock impressions within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; naw grip will fit my hand just fine as it is...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: glock impressions

naw grip will fit my hand just fine as it is

2. Remove Ads

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Natural, the TRP is very nice, the glock, well I will remain silent on that one, but I would have bought ammo to feed the TRP instead.
    Seriously, they are both nice pieces(especialy the TRP) don't be afraid to carry that bad boy, don't think scratches think beauty marks.

only thing i would change on the TRP is the Full length guide rod if you want one get a one piece ..

My uncles keeps unscrewing eevn with lock tight i had this problem with a loaded also but since i pitch then guiderods anyways wasnt a big deal as i put up with it till my Ed Brown replacement parts came in

Lead Moderator
    Just don't see a need for a .357 sig. caliber. the 10mm made a bit more sense to me. So can anyone tell me why the .357 sig was developed?

they wanted to get close to the 125 grain 357 mag round in a auto handgun..

The 357 sig isnt far off

Lead Moderator
    I have yet to shoot a .357 sig. willhave to see how well I can shoot it. can't see switching from .40 or .45 cal. though. too many calibers to reload anyway.

The 357 seems to be very acurate in the 2 guns ive shot it in one a xd other was my sig has snap like the 40

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    it could go the way of the 10mm.
    i dont think the 10mm is anywhere near being done. i was working with springfield custom on building a TRP in 10mm until i added up all the numbers on a springfield true custom build.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruces45
    don't be afraid to carry that bad boy, don't think scratches think beauty marks.
    the TRP is awful tough to put down.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    only thing i would change on the TRP is the Full length guide rod if you want one get a one piece
    i agree completely. after owning 1911s since i was 15 years old, this is my first "upper end" 1911. the only thing i dont like about it is the guide rod.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    Just don't see a need for a .357 sig. caliber. the 10mm made a bit more sense to me. So can anyone tell me why the .357 sig was developed?
    to offer .357 magnum performance in a somewhat compact automatic that would fit little girl hands like mine. i wanted a 10mm but with all the wasted space in the grip, the g20 10mm doesnt fit my hand at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    The 357 seems to be very acurate
    ive found its trajectory is very impressive. being used to shooting much heavier 230 grain .45 acp bullets, when shooting at 100 yards i would attempt to compensate for trajectory and ended up shooting high.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.357_SIG has a lot of good information. worth noting:

"The .357 SIG cartridge uses a bottlenecked .40 S&W case crimped to the 9mm Luger bullet; this is why the 357 sig is not written as ".357", as it is not truly a .357 bullet but instead a standard 9mm parabellum (.3550"). SIG shied away from calling its new cartridge a nine-millimeter-anything for fear of public rejection of the round. Instead, it was dubbed a "357" to generate public interest in the round and to highlight its purpose: to duplicate the performance of the original .357"

"The goal of the 357 SIG project was to offer at least the level of performance of the famous .357 Magnum cartridge and +P/+P+ (overpressure and double-overpressure) 9 mm Luger loads. The 357 SIG arguably accomplishes this goal with a 125-grain (8.1 g) bullet."

"Its drawbacks are its harsh treatment of pistols that are chambered for the cartridge, which have the potential for accelerated wear if not of strong build, and its potential to overpenetrate. The 357 SIG, like the .357 Magnum, is well suited for the use of bullets that can defeat body armor (none of which are available to civilians in the U.S.)."

"This round is excellent when shooting through barricades may prove necessary. There has been a documented case where a police officer's .45 round did not penetrate a tractor's shell but a 357 SIG round from a backup officer's gun did (killing the suspect inside). The forementioned ability of this round to penetrate through barriers is the main reason behind its rapid and growing adoption by federal, state and local law enforcement."

"Since the 357 SIG utilizes a standard 9mm Luger bullet bottlenecked into a .40 S&W (10mm) case, feeding problems are almost non-existent. This is because the bullet is channeled through the larger chamber before being seated entirely as the slide goes into full battery. Flat point bullets are seldom used with other autoloader platforms because of feeding problems; however, such bullets are commonly seen in the 357 SIG chambering and are quite reliable, as is the case with hollowpoint ammunition."

please note im just listing some details, and not trying to sell anybody on the .357 auto....its not for everybody. its sharp recoil is controllable but its not an all day shooter like a .45acp. the recoil isnt "bad" like a hot .44, but i find it noticeably more "snappy" than the .40. to test reliability i intended to run 1000 rounds through the glock the other day, but due to christmas shoppers and the scarcity of .357sig ammunition i could only come up with 740 rounds. buying over 500 rounds of the upper end defensive ammunition cost as much as the glock itself, but i could only find 200 rounds of WWB target ammo. i went through the 200 rounds of WWB and about 300 rounds of premium defensive ammunition before my hand couldnt take it anymore. it was a disappointment that i couldnt meet my goal of 1000 rounds, but i was very pleased with the performance of both the glock and the .357 auto caliber. the glock is definately a keeper, as is the .357 auto caliber. its truly an exciting new round worthy of further development.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links