Silencer? - Page 2

Silencer?

This is a discussion on Silencer? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; gee now...guess I learned a little something.......I thought that the Form 1s were null and void after 1986 on eveything......I do know...that when you made ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silencer?

gee now...guess I learned a little something.......I thought that the Form 1s were null and void after 1986 on eveything......I do know...that when you made a weapon on a form 1......it was yours until you died...unless it was transferred to a living blood reletive..

If the ATF classifies the supressor as a "weapon" then I'm thinking VERY grey area here..
    Remember now....the AR15 Auto sears are not "weapons" either.they're parts.now they're the "machinegun"....Just. as a supressor is the same "part" I think it's a slippery slope.... but I'd be carefull
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Senior Moderator
    There are advantages to being a machinist...

I am seriously considering building a T/C Encore with an integral suppressor on a .300 Whisper platform. That would be the ultimate in quiteness I think...

I've yet to buy the gun....but I am thinking about it.

Senior Moderator
    the ATF classifies the supressor as a "weapon" then I'm thinking VERY grey area here..
    Its the ATF.

the same folks that classified a "shoestring" as a weapon or a sear as a "machine gun".

The left hand does not know what the right hand is doing most of the time. You can call the ATF and ask 5 different people the same question and get 5 different answers.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns
    Its the ATF.

the same folks that classified a "shoestring" as a weapon or a sear as a "machine gun".

The left hand does not know what the right hand is doing most of the time. You can call the ATF and ask 5 different people the same quaetion and get 5 different answers.

Got to admit that like dealing with anycompany call 5 times talk to 5 different people and get 5 different answers

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Got to admit that like dealing with anycompany call 5 times talk to 5 different people and get 5 different answers
    Corect Bud......You may talk to 5 differnt people in the BATF...but ONE person makes the decision to lock your butt up because you have a contraiband weapon or "part" that isn't, or hasn't been properly registered..and a "sear" is currently a "machingun" to this day...even though I have had several PRE-1981 "parts"
    I was a machinist too...... still a grey area to me......

yes this is a Grey Area one i dont think we should be walking down.. Also its not really a CCW item or discussion ..

DC Founder
    I moved it into General Firearms area. In Arizona, silencers sell pretty well. I would assume that some, but not many, use them on their concealed carry gun, but not a smart thing to do IMO. If you have the proper license, it's legal.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH
    gee now...guess I learned a little something.......I thought that the Form 1s were null and void after 1986 on eveything......I do know...that when you made a weapon on a form 1......it was yours until you died...unless it was transferred to a living blood reletive..
    Form 1s are still valid for non-MG items. I have two in right now for SBRs and may do one on a DD if I have time and a friend's help at the machine shop.

Also I should add that the other options for the paperwork include the LLC, corporation, or trust as the owner of record.

The LLC/corp/trust method is the only way you can 'share' a NFA item with friends/investors/etc - you can list anyone you want as an officer of the company. :)
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Assistant Administrator
    Thx Randy - it was purely a ''play-it-safe'' move.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Thanks Randy for the good info..............I was thinking a Class 2Manufacturer was the only one who could still make those items.. Gee now............what can I get myself into, seeing I still have the means to make things...maybe for that little Walther P22 I have for my son..
    See now...........that's why we have the best Forum on the Internet.
    We're always learning more things, even old pharts like me

I don't know jack about silincers/supressors but I was net surfin one day and came across this site http://www.american-manufacture.com/ and thought I would pass it on to you. This guy is like 10 minutes from my house and I never knew it. He is a wealth of information on them cause they design and build them. They can answer your questions for you and give you the right answers and the right people to contact like http://www.swrmfg.com/products.asp. SWR is aparently the best pistol supressors out there. Check it out, hope it help's.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Senior Moderator
    I think that its great that we can talk about suppressors as many forums dont allow it...even though they are legal in most states.

There's alot of misinformation and speculation out there about them and being able to talk freely about them is the first step to education.

It was on another gun forum that I learned all about the ins and outs of how to do what .It was from that forum that I eventually came to build and own a legal suppressor. These forums are great for discussions and I look at it kinda like gun ownership, the more people that legally own them, the more people that will vote with that in mind and eventually the anti-gunners out there will be silenced by sheer numbers.

Yeah...I know that its wishful thinking, but at least its a start.

I also remember thinking that it would be a cold day in Haydees before most of the states would enact concealed carry legislation, but today we have over 42 states that have some form of it and its been in the last ten years that most of them came to be and I honestly believe that the dissemination of information from the internet had a lot to do with it.

Im my way of thinking, if just one guy like me gets an idea from a discussion board that he can do something legally that he thought previously was illegal, it cant be a bad thing. Having a forum that can point someone in the right direction so that one can separtate the BS from fact is a major asset to the gun owning community in general.

For that, I'd like to thank the moderators for allowing this discussion to take place, even if it is somewhat off topic for the forum.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    HotGuns, I didn't know that it was legal to"whack a deer" in any state with a suppressed weapon. ---------

Senior Moderator
    No restrictions on it here...

we cant carry suppressors or full autos for concealed carry though..

Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    HotGuns, I didn't know that it was legal to"whack a deer" in any state with a suppressed weapon. ---------
    Idaho Fish and Game won't let me use a red dot but I can suppress my SBR. :)
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links