Yahoo, daddy and me will be able to hunt now!

This is a discussion on Yahoo, daddy and me will be able to hunt now! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Back when my dad was an avid hunter I was uninterested. Chasing skirts and being a typical teenager. Lately in life I have picked up ...

Thread: Yahoo, daddy and me will be able to hunt now!

Yahoo, daddy and me will be able to hunt now!

Back when my dad was an avid hunter I was uninterested. Chasing skirts and being a typical teenager. Lately in life I have picked up hunting but dad had quit years ago due to injuries that prevented him shouldering a rifle properly. Well this year he was bound and determined to hunt. We found a great deal on a Ruger M77R MK II .270 which he scarfed up quickly. The gun shot like a dream but he still could not shoulder it properly. To shoot he would have to try and “man” handle it about 3 inches from his shoulder. He could shoot deer MOA but shooting high powered rifles without the proper shoulder contact is uncomfortable.

Watching him I determined a thumbhole stock might work. I talked him into letting me order him a Boyd’s finished stock to put on the rifle. When we got it I was very impressed on the fit and finish. The barreled action dropped right in and the barrel is free floated all the way back to the receiver. The Ruger now is sexier than ever.

After I finished installing the stock and checking over everything I handed it over and the smile on dads face was priceless. With the wrist/elbow/shoulder angle that the thumbhole permits he is now able to properly shoulder his rifle.

We go to the range tomorrow and re-zero and then we are going on a WMA hunt next week, wish us luck!
    Paul Graham
    Clean-um, Prep-um, Pack-um, Load-um, Bang-um

2. Remove Ads

Not your typical "Cats in the Cradle" story...we do wish you great 'hunting' luck. Those will be moments you will remember and charish for a long time.

Stay armed...find that buck...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

That is great, good luck on the hunt

When you get back, please be sure to let us know how it all went. Good Luck and Good hunting!
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

jfl
    That's great !!!
    Enjoy hunting with your dad, that will make memories for a long time.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Congrats and enjoy the hunt.

VIP Member
    After I finished installing the stock and checking over everything I handed it over and the smile on dads face was priceless.
    I have a feeling that smile was a smile of pride in his son. Memories of things like this are what you will carry with you to your grave. Just like the first hunt together. Getting a deer is secondary, but will definitely make it a sweeter memory. Make sure you have a camera with you, That way you will always have those pictures to look at and remember.
    I used to carry one of those one time use 35mm cameras with me, or now a pocket digital will do the trick. Take pictures at the car, in the stand, and if you get a deer with it. The whole trip is where the memories are, not just the game you take.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

thanks and he is excited, I planned for both of us to go out to the shooting club tomorrow to re-zero the rifle. I stopped by this evening and he was laid across the 4 wheeler shooting out to 100, "roughing" it in, so he said! :)
    Paul Graham

Sweeeeeeetttttt
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Cherish the hunt. If this is your first hunt with your father cherish it even more. What you did for your father is commendable. There are not many who would go the extra mile for just for a hunt. We know you did it not for the hunt but for your father. Good heart.
    Last edited by Black Knight; October 26th, 2008 at 08:36 AM.

Awesome story. My father and I enjoy hunting together, one of the few things we do. Any pictures, I sure would love to see this rifle, and am sure others would too.

I can't seem to figure out what WMA hunt is, any help?
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

WMA = Wildlife Management Area. It is public hunting land managed by the state.
    Paul Graham

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Fantastic! It will be a fine moment for the 2 of you. Have a great time, regardless of how well you do. But I do wish you luck on the hunt.

Links