Defensive Carry banner

Yahoo, daddy and me will be able to hunt now!

790 views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Squawker 
#1 ·
Back when my dad was an avid hunter I was uninterested. Chasing skirts and being a typical teenager. Lately in life I have picked up hunting but dad had quit years ago due to injuries that prevented him shouldering a rifle properly. Well this year he was bound and determined to hunt. We found a great deal on a Ruger M77R MK II .270 which he scarfed up quickly. The gun shot like a dream but he still could not shoulder it properly. To shoot he would have to try and “man” handle it about 3 inches from his shoulder. He could shoot deer MOA but shooting high powered rifles without the proper shoulder contact is uncomfortable.

Watching him I determined a thumbhole stock might work. I talked him into letting me order him a Boyd’s finished stock to put on the rifle. When we got it I was very impressed on the fit and finish. The barreled action dropped right in and the barrel is free floated all the way back to the receiver. The Ruger now is sexier than ever.

After I finished installing the stock and checking over everything I handed it over and the smile on dads face was priceless. With the wrist/elbow/shoulder angle that the thumbhole permits he is now able to properly shoulder his rifle.

We go to the range tomorrow and re-zero and then we are going on a WMA hunt next week, wish us luck!

See less See more
#2 ·
Not your typical "Cats in the Cradle" story...we do wish you great 'hunting' luck. Those will be moments you will remember and charish for a long time.:congrats:

Stay armed...find that buck...stay safe!

#3 ·
That is great, good luck on the hunt :congrats:

#7 ·
After I finished installing the stock and checking over everything I handed it over and the smile on dads face was priceless.
I have a feeling that smile was a smile of pride in his son. Memories of things like this are what you will carry with you to your grave. Just like the first hunt together. Getting a deer is secondary, but will definitely make it a sweeter memory. Make sure you have a camera with you, That way you will always have those pictures to look at and remember.
I used to carry one of those one time use 35mm cameras with me, or now a pocket digital will do the trick. Take pictures at the car, in the stand, and if you get a deer with it. The whole trip is where the memories are, not just the game you take.

#8 ·
thanks and he is excited, I planned for both of us to go out to the shooting club tomorrow to re-zero the rifle. I stopped by this evening and he was laid across the 4 wheeler shooting out to 100, "roughing" it in, so he said! :)

#11 ·
Awesome story. My father and I enjoy hunting together, one of the few things we do. Any pictures, I sure would love to see this rifle, and am sure others would too.

I can't seem to figure out what WMA hunt is, any help?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.