Eyewear at the range

Eyewear at the range

This is a discussion on Eyewear at the range within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I use glasses and called the optometrist today..they are 'plastic'...is this adequate or should I use something on top of them? Thanks...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eyewear at the range

Eyewear at the range

I use glasses and called the optometrist today..they are 'plastic'...is this adequate or should I use something on top of them?
    Thanks

As long as they are shatter resistant you should be fine. I always use cheap plastic safety glasses i get for free from work when shooting small arms and at close ranges. I don't use eye protection for long range work though
    The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says, "Go Away" in every language.

Fast is fine, accuracy is final. Learn to be slow in a hurry.

"I never met a man that had been in a gunfight and wished that he had a smaller gun. Ever."

I figure that if any 'safety glasses' have an ANSI rating, they are generally good enough for the possible impacts. I think most safety glasses are plastic of some sort. I wear my Oakleys more than anything at the range unless it's an extremely dark day.

Depends on how much you like your eyes. I'd say get something ANSI rated.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

how much do your glasses cost,if they get scratched they are messed up where a pair of goggles that cost 3 bucks won't hurt the pocket as much,or contacts with regular safety glasses that cost about 7.00
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Those cheap safety glasses are made of polycarbonate and are pretty tough. Plastic lenses in most eyeglasses are not sufficient for shooting.

Accidents do happen so safety glasses or shooting glasses should always be worn at the range. Ammo does malfunction. Guns do jam. Escaping gases or burnt powder can get in your eye.

It's cheap, it's easy, always wear eye protection.

Good shooting glasses are a must...only have to have one accident to have someone say, "I told you so..."
    I have found the amber lenses to be most useful.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I shoot at an NRA range, and normal everyday glasses are enough for them.

I wore my normal glasses the first time I went, but now I wear my normal, with others over top.

Nothing like getting a casing to hit your glasses and leave a ding on your nice 350 dollar prescription...

Sam's....

12 pair for $24.something.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Firsthand witness to seeing a shell casing, very nicely heated brass, land between eyeglass lens and cheek, just a half-inch below the eye. When that happens while you have a loaded handgun in your grip, it's not a stretch to imagine an unsafe situation. The burn from the casing finally healed about two weeks later.

Absolutely, no excuses allowed, any shooter next to me will be wearing safety glasses that wrap around the face. If not, I'll move after I explain the real hazard that my hot brass can cause to them, and how their reaction could kill someone. Not worth the risk.

I would recomend shooting glases over your regular clases or clear goggles. It is best to have somthing that prevents a hot case from going between your glasses and your eye.

Big plus one for wearing safty glasses all the time.

A while back I went with Bark'n to go pick up his new SA XDSC 9 and the place that he purchased it from had an indoor range so we decided to shoot. Bark'n was in the booth to my right shooting. there were several times that my brass would clear the top of the side wall on the booth I was in and would hit Bark'n on the top of the head.

A little bit later Bark'n was standing behind me watching me go through some shooting drills. I had one of my casings eject and bounce off the top of the side wall on my shooting booth and come back and land on me between my right temple and my shooting glasses. I kept in mind range safety and (plus had a great reminder from Bark'n in my ear keep saying the gun is still hot the gun is till hot) I dropped my mag and fast racked the slide to clear the round from the chamber and re holstered in what seemed to me like 2 seconds but was probably between 15-30 seconds before I threw my safety shooting glasses off to clear the brass. It took about a month to heal and I have a nice scar now above my right temple slightly towards my eye from a .40 cal casing.

When i'm at the range now and I see someone shooting without safety glasses, I just have to show them my scar and they soon realize that maybe they are not such a bad idea and I usually see them wearing them shortly there after
    Give me my guns and my right to keep and bear arms, and they can keep their change.

Those 5 buck clear safety glasses at Home Depot and Lowes can take a beating. I was at work one day, wearing my yellow lensglasses when someone was working on the belt sander. They slipped and the bolt they were sanding shot off, ricocheted on a shelf and hit me square in the glasses. My glasses stayed on and it dinged the lenses but they stood up.

Now, the guy next to me at the range found out the hard way with hot casings the other day...and his girlfriend wearing the low cut shirt found out minutes later. He was firing a MAC 10 and having fun when two casings hit him, one on each temple stuck between his Oakleys and the sunglass keeper.
    He fired another magazine and 3 or 4 casings landed in her cleavage. She almost stripped down to get them out...made for an interested range day
    "carrying a gun is a lot lighter than carrying a cop in your pocket" -MrTwice99

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I have a pair of Oakley Half Jacket sunglasses with 2 colors of lenses. When I shoot at the range I switch out my gray lenses for the amber. Takes a few seconds and the amber seem to light everything up better, especially in low light conditions or on cloudy days. I prefer polarized as well. Mine aren't a safety lens but they are impact resistant.

>>---->
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

If they are prescription glasses you run the risk of scratching them with blow-back when you fire the gun. I'd put a pair of clip on shooting glasses over them.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links