Metal plate targets

This is a discussion on Metal plate targets within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The one at our range is 1/4" steel and hangs vertically, probably 100' from the shooting line. I have heard murmurings that you might get ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metal plate targets

Metal plate targets

The one at our range is 1/4" steel and hangs vertically, probably 100' from the shooting line.
    I have heard murmurings that you might get ricochet off that and might suffer injury. Seems unlikely but looking for your educated input on this.
    Thanks again.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I shoot steel more than anything else and have never had an issue. As long as its angled downward or swings, it'll be fine.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I wouldn't have to worry about something like that....I suck at the steel targets.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveInTexas View Post
    The one at our range is 1/4" steel and hangs vertically, probably 100' from the shooting line.
    I have heard murmurings that you might get ricochet off that and might suffer injury. Seems unlikely but looking for your educated input on this.
    Thanks again.
    Every metal target at a range I've ever seen is very slightly tilted forward for this exact reason, it deflects incoming rounds down into the dirt. Or they have an uneven surface to deflect down if they are a hanging target.
    The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says, "Go Away" in every language.

Fast is fine, accuracy is final. Learn to be slow in a hurry.

"I never met a man that had been in a gunfight and wished that he had a smaller gun. Ever."

Our private range has a 'special' range for anyone with NRA's RSO rating.
    It's all steel...rotating plates, tip plates, and metal figures. We can also draw/shoot from retention. We are asked to stay at least 15 yards back...I've never had a problem.
    It's interesting to shoot at multiple figures off center and hear the pings.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm interested in making a few simple torso/head shaped metal plates to practice on. I'd like to be able to shoot 9mm, 45acp and possibly .223 at them.
    Does anybody have some good plans to build them or know of any links that would be useful?
    I shot some that were made out of angle iron and the the body shape slid over the upright piece of angle iron that had a piece welded to it to stop the plate from going to the bottom. The plate leaned forward to deflect the rounds into the dirt.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Senior Moderator
    Seems unlikely but looking for your educated input on this.
    Just make sure you are wearing safety glasses.

The richochets will be stopped by long pants,they might put a welt on your arms or legs, but a peice of lead in the eye could affect you the rest of your life.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

We have a hanging, swinging steel plate made from 3/8" plate at my home range, and have shot it with everything from .22 rifles to 45ACP and all of the rounds, so far have been deflected straight down into the ground at the foot of the target. Everything also includes an SKS. We ofter pick up spent bullets at the base of the stand.

Wear a hat

Most of the guys wear a baseball cap, along with their eye and ear protection, when shooting steel at the range. You occasionally feel bits of lead raining down on you...so I think that's a good idea.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ksokie View Post
    I'm interested in making a few simple torso/head shaped metal plates to practice on. I'd like to be able to shoot 9mm, 45acp and possibly .223 at them.
    I'm not sure 223 is such a good idea, you would have to build them very heavy to handle a 223. Even at 100+ yards, a rifle will zip right through the steel and not even make it swing.

I don't know of any plans, but I'm sure Google could find you some. They are super simple to build, plans are not even really needed. Perhaps just going to a range and taking a few pictures will help you out.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Just make sure you are wearing safety glasses.
    +1 Very good advice.

There's always a possibility of a riccochet, even if highly unlikely. We have steel plates at 15 yards, and the only problem I've ever had was a tiny piece of lead bounce back off my jacket, with no problem at all. But, as mentioned, if a piece hits your eye, then it's a major problem.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I shot a swinging plate at 25 Meters with a .44 cast bullet and it came back and hit me in the chest. It was a whole bullet but smashed flat.
    It did hurt and left a bruised place.

I shoot steel at the range I belong to quite often, we don't have any swingers though, you hit it it falls. Never had a bounce back from those.

I went to training at Storm Mtn and they use steel silhouettes. They were angled down but on one shot the instructor was standing right behind me watching my form and the round came back and smacked him in the forehead. He saw it coming and tried to duck but it got him. He laughed it off, left a red spot but that was about it. Now he was wearing safety glasses but if it would have caught him in the eye it could have been bad.
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

Quote Originally Posted by ksokie View Post
    I picked up some armor plate sections from an auction; its not easy to work with but it sure holds up to everything I have slung at it.

Most of the issues encountered with shooting steel targets are due to the poor quality steel used. Once soft steel dimples and craters splash-back and ricochets are more likely.

Here's some pretty good info on target quality steel:

Steel Types

I've nee buying 2/3rds IDPA targets for my range made out of T520 or AR500 armor plate. They're expensive, but have held up to a boat load of rounds including rifle and don't have a dent or dimple yet.

The Arntzen portable stands also allow for a downward angle. For my 200 meter target I mounted it on a large spring and it rings like a bell when hit.
    homo homini lupus est

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links