DIY gunsmithing in view of the impending doom?

This is a discussion on DIY gunsmithing in view of the impending doom? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Okay, a new twist on the SHTF deal. How many of you have stocked spare parts for your pistols, and own the tools necessary to ...

View Poll Results: I keep spare parts and have the proper tools to take care of/repair any of my pistols

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am self dependent on repairs/replacement parts for my pistols

42 50.00%
  • I paid good money for a manufacturer's warranty and custom work, I'll never need to repair my pistols

1 1.19%
  • I only have the basic tools to break down my pistols for cleaning

38 45.24%
  • I've never given any thought to working on my own pistols...they are high end custom jobs

3 3.57%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY gunsmithing in view of the impending doom?

DIY gunsmithing in view of the impending doom?

Okay, a new twist on the SHTF deal. How many of you have stocked spare parts for your pistols, and own the tools necessary to perform almost any repairs or emergency upkeep on them? Let's say gunsmiths, gun shops, manufacturers and parts suppliers all get 'regulated' out of existence. Personally, I can work on and repair any of my pistols in an emergency, and keep them functioning very well without the aid of a gunsmith or depending on a factory warranty. You see.........that's another reason for me to own Glocks! How many of you XD, H&K, S&W, Ruger, Hi-end 1911 owners find and stock spare parts for your pistols easily off the internet or your local gun shop for the time being without going through the factory and are able to work on/perform repairs yourself? Be honest.

2. Remove Ads

Glocks break?

I've been stocking up on internet links and resources so that I can work on my own Glocks if I really had to. But since my gunsmith is only 20 minutes away and very reasonable AND will fix most things while I wait, I've been lazy about really tearing into it.
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

The trigger spring has been known to give out under hard usage after thousands of rounds in some cases.

Is this what you're referring to?

Lone Wolf Distributors - Product Detail
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    The trigger spring has been known to give out under hard usage after thousands of rounds in some cases.

Yep...have three of those in stock.

DC Founder
    I voted "I've never given any thought to working on my own pistols...they are high end custom jobs", but not because "they are high end custom jobs", but because that just isn't my thing when gunsmiths are readily available. If they were not available, I would probably be able to figure out what the problem was and what it needed to be repaired. But, I have never, in all of my years had one break in any way; everything I have used a gunsmith for has been optional (new finish, sights installed, etc).

I also don't change my oil, batteries, belts, hoses although I could if inclined.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

what about a... i have just purchased my first gun so I don't know how to repair it? :)
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

Administrator
    I'm a big believer that you need to keep a decent supply of spare parts on hand for your main defensive guns. That is a huge reason why I won't even consider some makes of guns.

The Glocks are great, all their parts are drop in and any monkey can do it. AR's are much the same way.
    "Just blame Sixto"

aside from a new barrel or springs I have the tool to make just about any replacement part i would need (mini cnc milling machine)
    "An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein

Gunsmith

In addition to the parts and supplies I keep at the gunshop, I keep some essential spare parts for my Glocks and ARs, and even some for the AKs. You never know when it might come in handy for a number of different scenarios, not just SHTF. The availability of parts is one of the reasons I made the Glocks my SHTF guns. The other side of that coin is why I don't like old, wierd, surplus or off brand stuff for CCW. I don't want to be one broken spring away from a paperweight.

Cuz Ram Rod said so...

I just ordered a couple of G26 mags from OMB and bought a couple of the trigger springs - $1.40 each I can afford. :)

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post

The Glocks are great, all their parts are drop in and any monkey can do it. AR's are much the same way.
    That is good to know. Now...where can I buy a monkey?
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

If you can read and use the internet, all the information, instructions, pictures and videos are out there. You can become the MONKEY! Over the years I have become a qualified GUN PLUMBER for basic fixes on most any gun. Glocks and AR's are just a direct drop in. Minor fitting can be done by most people but you need a professional or the equipment for heavy duty metal work but basic part replcement can be done by reading and asking questions.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

I only have basic tools for a complete breakdown of my pistols...I would not attempt any 'smith' work on my firearms. I'm not mechanical and I do not want to screw up some rather large investments...nor would I want to alter any of my pistols from their stock arrival.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

One would think if all that was regulated out of existance then your gun or guns would be illegal as well and hence you wouldnt be shooting as often (recreationally anyway).

Would take a while to wear out any gun, youd have to be shooting alot.

Id be stocking up on Ammo, and mabey buying a few more guns to stash away. That way if they take one away you've got some spare guns lying around rather than spare parts.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links