Gun owner image vs treated like a criminal buying ammo at Wal-Mart

This is a discussion on Gun owner image vs treated like a criminal buying ammo at Wal-Mart within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Prolog: I bought into the whole ammo may increase possibility and went to Wal-Mart last night after work. I buy ammo from Wal-Mart because they ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Prolog: I bought into the whole ammo may increase possibility and went to Wal-Mart last night after work. I buy ammo from Wal-Mart because they have a good price and I want a retailer like Wal-Mart to continue to carry ammo so I have the option. I tend to shoot at Bass-Pro. Bass-Pro tends to be a few pennies difference from Wal-mart on the ammo I use. However as stated, I make an effort to buy my ammo at Wal-Mart so that the option remains available (as long as the price is resonable). Say what you want about Wal-Mart, as long as they sell ammo, it helps keep ammo prices reasonable.

Story:
    So I'm loading up the cart with ammo, including 1000 rounds of 9mm (Wal-Mart price $20.00 for 100 rounds). As I'm loading up, two of the people at the sporting goods counter are talking to each other about Fred's dinner break and that is is time for Nancy to go home. Nancy tells Fred, "I'll wait around for this guy to purchase his bullets then I'll log out." I then state, "Don't wait on me, I have other shopping to do and will buy everything up front." Fred then tells me, "We perfer that you purchase the bullets at the sporting goods counter, thanks." He then walks away.

I wait a few minutes, a little irritated by what transpired. I notice there are no signs stating this policy, and the ammo is not locked. The cabinet the ammo is stored in is in the aisle, and not behind a counter. Previously at the store, I have waited in back 30 minutes for someone to come to the sporting goods counter to take the ammo out of the cabinet and ring me up. The time I waited, they associate who helped me stated I did not need to wait to take ammo out of the cabinet nor did I have to purchase the ammo in back.

I told Nancy I would not be buying the ammo at the sporting goods counter as I had other shopping to do. She offered to walk it up to the front for "Security Reasons." I told her to call her manager. Manager name Shanita (I think). I told the manager the reasons I purchase ammo at Wal-Mart, so that Wal-Mart would continue to sell ammo (even though I could purchase the ammo at another store, for about the same price). The Manager tells me that it is store policy. I ask where this policy is posted. She responds that it is store policy. I tell her I have purchased ammo from that store several times, not at the sports counter. She replies I "tecnickly" should not have been allowed to do that. I asked if it a security issue how could someone "tecnickly" circumvent such an important policy, where was there no sign, and product was not locked up. She stated policy. I asked if I looked over 18 (I'm a heavy set 35 year old). She said she did not know how old I was. I asked if there were items locked up in the electronics department of the store. She replied yes. I asked if I was able to get an associate to unlock that product, what counter would I purchase the product from. She stated any counter or front of the store. So I asked, why can a person take locked up product and continue shopping, but this unlocked product, that was a serious security risk, had to be purchased at a back counter with an associate watching them. She stated they "prefer" the ammo (at least she did not call it bullets) to be purchased at the sporting goods counter. I went over the story about previous weeks when I waited in back for 30 minutes and was then told by that associate I could just take the ammo and go to the front counter. She stated that was not store policy as ammo was a security issue. I let her know I did not like being treated like a criminal or shop lifter. She said no one has stated that.

I thanked her fore her time and told her I was going to call her corporate on my cell phone. She asked if I wanted to talk to the store manager. I stated not at this time. She said the 800 # would just direct me to talk to the store manager. I said I would then talk to the store manager after I spoke to someone at he 800 #. She walked away as I called on the phone. As I was on hold Jon the manager arrived. He said I did not need to call the 800 #. I hung up. He said the associates and assistant manger was in the wrong, thanked me for shopping at Wal-Mart, and I should continue my shopping.

I chatted with him for a minute, and went on my way.

I don't like being the aggressive gun owner, but I pass this onto the forum to hear other's thoughts.

Administrator
    What was the point in arguing with them? Buy your ammo and leave or leave the ammo. I would have let them walk me up front, making all the other stops I needed to make along the way. I would have made them push the cart too.

Arguing with a moron makes two IMO.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I wouldn't have argued with them either. If they don't want my money I'll go elsewhere. Since you have a BPS that has a range and their ammo prices are about the same, I would rather support them. They just opened a new BPS here in the Richmond area. I was hoping they would have a range in it, but they did put one in.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    What was the point in arguing with them? Buy your ammo and leave or leave the ammo. I would have let them walk me up front, making all the other stops I needed to make along the way. I would have made them push the cart too.
    Arguing with a moron makes two IMO.

Biker

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    They must have been worried that you were going to "shoot" everybody in the store (by throwing ammo at them).
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryPower View Post
    They must have been worried that you were going to "shoot" everybody in the store (by throwing ammo at them).
    Well, they did loose a rather large law suit a few years ago when this happened.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I would have shopped and then returned to sporting goods. I check out there all the time (or at the jewelry counter). That way you don't have to wait in long lines behind fifty old ladies up front.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Well its like the time I was in uniform as an LEO, just gotten off shift, and was in my local WM to purchase a rifle. I was informed that I couldn't carry that rifle around in the store after purchasing it, yet it was OK for me to walk around with a loaded gun on my hip. Needless to say I didn't purchase the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I would have shopped and then returned to sporting goods. I check out there all the time (or at the jewelry counter). That way you don't have to wait in long lines behind fifty old ladies up front.
    Agreed with you Timmy and others as I wouldn't waste my time, which is valuable, arguing over what really is a nothing.

I've been buying ammo at Wal-Mart for 7 or 8 years now and even in VA the store policies were always to pay for your ammo at the sporting goods counter. I've never known it to be allowed otherwise.
    And what I always do is shop for my other stuff first and then hit the bullet aisle last. Or when stock has been low and I knew this would be the case before hand (hunting season) I would and do go to the bullet aisle first and secure what I want then ask the sporting goods counter person to hold it for me under the counter untill I return (I usually state I just need 10 minutes) and then I check out everything at once.
    Also by doing this my delay to get in an out is as little as 1/3rd the time of standing at the main checkouts and dealing with lines.

The sports counter people were in a way doing the OP a solid to ask he checkout with them.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I always purchase the ammo at the sporting counter so I have no other opinion.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Agreed with you Timmy and others as I wouldn't waste my time, which is valuable, arguing over what really is a nothing.
    I'd probably also have avoided the argument (heck, I walk out of a fast food joint if I haven't been able to give my order within five minutes of walking in---I go for the 'fast', not the 'food' ).

On the other hand, it's not for me to tell Thanis how to use his time. Sometimes you just get fed up enough with something that it becomes time to make an issue of it. If Thanis wanted to get that all off his chest---and I can't say I blame him, since he is going out of his way to patronize that establishment, I think he can make some claim on their time by making them listen to him---then I hope he feels better now.

At least the store manager didn't have his head where the sun don't shine.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    It's not worth the argument to make an obvious point. I'm surprised the ammo was not secured. The WM here has shotgun ammo on the shelf for all to grab, but not other ammo. It's easier to either buy your ammo and then shop, or do your other shopping first and check out at sporting goods than it is to argue with idiots. Remember, most WM associates are paid to do, not to think.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

I guess I don't get it. You can't buy a CD or DVD and make it out of the electronics area without paying in the Walmarts I've been in. What's the big deal that they have a similar loss prevention policy in the firearms area? How long would it take to ring up the ammo and move on with shopping?
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I know where Thanis is coming from. I've picked up items in the store and then gone to the sporting goods section to get ammo. The associate there tells me that I'd have to take the other items (food) up to the front registers as they are not set up to check out the other items.
    I ended up waiting in line twice and writing two checks in the same store. Isn't convenience a wonderful thing?
    Last edited by Gunnutty; October 29th, 2008 at 11:27 AM. Reason: spelling
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

I wouldve done all my shopping then gone to the sports counter and made them check out all of my items AND the ammo. If that woman wanted to wait on me to be done shopping I wouldve let her wait as long as it took.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links