Sig 556 Pistol Problems... anyone else?

This is a discussion on Sig 556 Pistol Problems... anyone else? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I got a 556 pistol the other day. Took it to the range and fired 60 rounds. It was a good shooter and lots of ...

Thread: Sig 556 Pistol Problems... anyone else?

Sig 556 Pistol Problems... anyone else?

I got a 556 pistol the other day. Took it to the range and fired 60 rounds. It was a good shooter and lots of fun but when I took it home to clean it, I encountered a problem.

When attempting to remove the gas tube, I depressed the spring-loaded pin and as I tried to rotate the tube to the proper position for removal, it just got tighter and tighter. I never could get it out. As an experiement, I rotated it clockwise and it was easy to move and when it got to the 12 o'clock position is was loose and would have been easy to remove, if the cutout had been in the proper position.

Also, it visually appears that if I could have gotten the tube properly oriented, that the half-moon cutout would not have cleared the flash suppressor, unless there is more wiggle room than it appears. I have heard that they changed to a smaller diameter flash suppressor on later production runs.

Has anyone had these problems? I just want to know. Has anyone encountered any other snags with the 556 pistol?

I sent it Sig today. We will see what happens.

2. Remove Ads

I'm not familiar with the sig 556 pistol but on most AR type systems the gas tube removal is not part of the cleaning process
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

pictures, please? :)
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I'm not familiar with the sig 556 pistol but on most AR type systems the gas tube removal is not part of the cleaning process
    The SIG 556 is closer to an AK system, it's a gas piston which is part of the field strip, assuming it's the same system as the SIG 556 rifle.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by Duisburg View Post
    pictures, please? :)
    I already shipped it out to Sig so I can't take any pics at this time but I found a link. You can see what I am talking about by following this link and going to page 42, step #13. The pistol is the same procedure as the rifle... things are just shorter.

http://ar15armory.com/manuals/sig%20556.pdf

Step #13 is where things go bad. As soon as I depress the stop pin and just start to rotate the gas tube, it starts tightening up. I used a strip of leather and some curved-jaw pliers. I could get the tube to the proper 6 o'clock position but it was too tight to extract. It wouldn't move forward a fraction of a millimeter.

According to the instructions you should of rotated tube to the left 90 degrees looking at it from the barrel end of rifle,if i read your inst right you were turning the opposite way,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

According to the instructions you should of rotated tube to the left 90 degrees looking at it from the barrel end of rifle,if i read your inst right you were turning the opposite way,
    Naw, I did it right (to the left that is). The instructions say 90 degrees to the left. If you went the other way, it would be 270 degrees. What I said was that, as an experiment, I turned it 90 degrees to the right and it turned easily by hand and when it was in the 180 opposed position, it would have slid out easily except that the half-moon cutout was in the wrong position. It was on top (at the 12 o'clock position). You see, there are two "ears" on the rear of the tube, which must pass through the "keyhole" in order to remove the tube. So, the tube could be removed by rotating the tube so that the half-moon cutout is at the 6 o'clock or 12 o'clock position. HOWEVER, the half-moon cutout must be in the 6 o'clock position in order for the tube to pass over the flash suppressor.

Everyone, please, I know that I did it correctly. What I am asking is not how to do it but if anyone else has had this same problem, and how was it resolved, or was it resolved?

Ok Sorry I questioned you,but how did they assemble it unless somehow the guy put the tube in backwards at the factory somehow

Ok Sorry I questioned you,but how did they assemble it unless somehow the guy put the tube in backwards at the factory somehow
    I wondered the same thing! How did they get it so wrong? Why didn't they know when they assembled it? This is Sig, darn it, it should be good to go.

A friend of mine speculated that it was assembled robotically. I seriously doubt that. What I don't understand is why it is okay in one direction and tight in the other. Perhaps the tube is bent. I don't know. I am totally mystified.

I bet they assembled the tube in the gas block prior to assembly and when they installed it in the receiver had it turned the wrong way or sumpin like that

Lead Moderator
    Just a couple things, first you probably should have asked over on the SIG forum or the 556 forum, there just aren't that many 556 pistols out there yet.

Also on the rifle side there have been mention of the plug being installed upside down, some from the factory, but you know right away since your pistol/rifle would become single shot!

http://sigforum.com
    http://www.sigarms556.com
    Rick

I have tried to sign up for Sig and Sig 556 and have not been able to do so. Whenever I go to enter the "code" in the window, there is always an ambivalent letter/numeral, like zero or "O". My email address has been blocked by that process, so I can't sign up. I wrote to admin and have never received any help. This has been incredibly frustrating. I had the same problem, IIRC on the Steyr forum.

That's why I came here to DC... sorry.

EDIT: Hey update, I used a different email address and got on Sig 556!

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Beprepared View Post
    EDIT: Hey update, I used a different email address and got on Sig 556!
    Well, welcome to the 556 forum!

Anyhow take a look around there, I don't recall seeing a problem exactly like yours there.
    Rick

Darrrn ! Outta all the guns I shot last weekend I forgot to clean the 556 pistol

Thanks for reminding me ! Lol

Links