Polymer vs All Metal

This is a discussion on Polymer vs All Metal within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Polymer pistol frames have several advantages over aluminum or steel, including weight savings, corrosion resistance and less tendency to scratching. They also eliminate some parts ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Polymer vs All Metal

Pros and cons

Polymer pistol frames have several advantages over aluminum or steel, including weight savings, corrosion resistance and less tendency to scratching. They also eliminate some parts that may be unnecessary, such as grip panels and screws.

On the other hand, many people prefer the appearance, feel and weight balance of an all metal pistol. It comes down to a matter of taste. I have some of each type, but metal outnumbers polymer in my collection by about 7 to 1.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

2. Remove Ads

Personal choice. If you have not shot one, find a range that rents and try some out. Preferably in the caliber that you are thinking of getting, then shoot a comparable metal gun after.

I have shot both, and personally I prefer the all metal. The weight, feel, and (sorry Ram Rod) less recoil in the same caliber (less recoil than a smaller caliber as well). Maybe it is just the design of the gun I chose.

I have been carrying a Baby Eagle full size .40 tucked IWB every waking hour for over a year now and have only been legitimately made once.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

The wife has Tupperware that has been around for years, but we dont put it in the oven.

Just some generalized advice about polymer pistols. Find one that you like from a manufacturer with a good, solid reputation for manufacture and for customer service. In short, always try to choose the best quality you can find (either in metal or polymer) and, in general, you will do just fine.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

+1 to Glock 19 for first purchase. Great all around size for carry, home protection, and targeting. Do not fear plastic produced by a quality manufacturer...it has been time tested and is simply the result of firearms evolution.

The one down side to a Glock as a 1st handgun, or any striker fired for that matter, is that some are confused, or not as safe, when then firing SA or DA/SA because they are untrained with decockers, hammers, safety, etc. A Glock or similar gun you can fire, release trigger, and reholster while remaining safe. DA/SA may require a second or two of thought since the muscle memory for that platform hasn't been developed. Just some food for thought.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Quote Originally Posted by 64Jeeper View Post
    Don't get me wrong fellas, I was a rifle expert in the Marines. I just never went out and bought my own.
    Now there's nothing wrong with the 1911 at all. It will always be a part of me as a Marine. It's what I cut my teeth on, and I'd still be carrying one today if it weren't for my quest to keep up with modern times. It's hard to break away sometimes. I'll never be completely cured, but I'm on the wagon.

I have to say, for the money (and I love some 1911s) Glock makes the best all around defensive shooting tool ever!
    I carried numerous 1911 models up until about 8 years ago, now I have a G23 and a G27 and will never get rid of them!
    Accurate, sturdy, acquire the target and squeeze.

I would however say change 2 things with the factory out of the box Glock-

Get a 3-4 lb trigger assembly, they run between 10.00 and 30.00 and make it much easier to shoot accurately if you are unable to practice allot.

And get this sight setup- Either TruGlo Fiber Optics OR Novak, though I prefer TruGLo- fast acquisition and great visibility!

Oh yeah, and lots of ammunition so you can keep shooting...and shooting...and shooting! (cause you will be able to do this for years without worrying over a breakage!)
    Rule of Honor

Administrator
    Polymer plastics are actually not "new" anymore. Of course polymer has not been around as long as "metal" AKA Steel but, it has stood the test of time without any degradation.

Polymer gun frames are cheaper (as in less expensive) to produce because molding Polymer is a less expensive manufacturing procedure than machining metal.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Polymer plastics are actually not "new" anymore. Of course polymer has not been around as long as "metal" AKA Steel but, it has stood the test of time without any degradation.

Polymer gun frames are cheaper (as in less expensive) to produce because molding Polymer is a less expensive manufacturing procedure than machining metal.
    Unless it's an HK, then it costs more for some strange reason...

I was like you. I doubted the Polymer , but after owning many glocks, I became a fan. I still like metal guns. My favorite pistol is my Sig P220 ST, but it's heavy and not a good CCW. Personal preference is what it's about, but don't disregard the polymer especially for carry.
    Glock 32 (357 sig)

100 years from now my heirs will still be shooting my 1911's and my revolvers. Will the plastic guns be able to do the same? Thats a big issue with me. I treasure the firearms that my father left me.
    I don't want to leave a pile of plastic dust for the next generation.

Michael

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    100 years from now my heirs will still be shooting my 1911's and my revolvers. Will the plastic guns be able to do the same?
    Probably. I would say I hope so, but I will probably have run all of my guns into the ground by then. So, my grandchildren will have to get a new extractor, plunger and spring set and they will be ready to rock and roll
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Administrator
    Don't forget that you can always buy that alloy or Stainless Steel aftermarket frame for that GLOCK and turn it into an "ALL METAL" gun.
    They are expensive though.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I have until recently been a 1911 guy all the way. So much so that I ragged on my buddies who carried Tactical Tupperware.

But I started toying with the idea of a point and shoot gun.

This led me to take my first steps toward the Dark Side.

I now have a Glock 19. It's lighter but the recoil isn't bad at all.

It has now become my favorite pistol (sorry Kimber).

I now look forward to my next "Tupperware Party"
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

100 years from now, you'll be dead. Who cares about whether it'll be around that long? The fact my Glocks most likely will be around and functioning IMO is a moot point to what the OP is looking for.

Unless I'm mistaken and the OP is looking for an heirloom, collectible pistol in which case the Glock or any other polymer pistol is probably not what he's looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    100 years from now my heirs will still be shooting my 1911's and my revolvers. Will the plastic guns be able to do the same? Thats a big issue with me. I treasure the firearms that my father left me.
    I don't want to leave a pile of plastic dust for the next generation.

Michael
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links