Polymer vs All Metal

This is a discussion on Polymer vs All Metal within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Love my Kel-Tec PF9...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Polymer vs All Metal

Love my Kel-Tec PF9
    "An armed society is a polite society"

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    100 years from now my heirs will still be shooting my 1911's and my revolvers. Will the plastic guns be able to do the same? Thats a big issue with me. I treasure the firearms that my father left me.
    I don't want to leave a pile of plastic dust for the next generation.

Michael

Fact #1: Polymer (the kind the Glock is made from) will take much longer to degrade than metal when exposed to any elements.
    Fact #2: Collecting guns is great, I prefer to pass my "tools" in functioning good condition to my kids. So I will get the best preforming, easiest to maintenance, straight shooting "tools" that exist. My Glock fits the bill,in fact since my Glock is the ONLY weapon/ tool to be tested the way it has and pass- I am still waiting for a better one...

Oh and yes check the link, if you can find a 1911 pistol out of the box that can take that punishment and work just as well, I will personally drive to where-ever you live and give you My G23 with 5k rounds of ammunition.
    Rule of Honor

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Chuck Taylor has a Glock 17 with hundreds of thousands of rounds through it; someone said it is now over a million.
    What? A million? Do the math. If you shot 400 rounds a day, for 365 days a year, it would take almost 7 yrs. to shoot a million rounds.
    I'm not buying that.
    Using the cheapest ammo (WWB) would cost $200,000.00

But I do like my lightly used Kahr PM-9, H&K P-30, and my Ruger P-345.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    What? A million? Do the math. If you shot 400 rounds a day, for 365 days a year, it would take almost 7 yrs. to shoot a million rounds.
    I'm not buying that.
    Using the cheapest ammo (WWB) would cost $200,000.00

But I do like my lightly used Kahr PM-9, H&K P-30, and my Ruger P-345.
    So you disregard the people (that were outlined in the previous article?) This particular test had put over 100k rounds through a Glock in a weekend. It is really not that hard to put that many rounds through a gun, especially if you are testing it.

Seriously though, I am happy you enjoy your guns. However, lightly used means you cant shoot as well as those of us who have put thousands of rounds through our guns, after all no one is a born shooter, all shooters must work hard regularly.

Feel free to see the post directly ahead of yours for test results, thanks!
    Rule of Honor

Steel (or alloy) vs. Polymer framed pistols? Whew! You've kicked an over-worked hornet's nest here. We're very fortunate to have; more great choices, in more varieties, from more reputable manufacturers than any other pistoleros in history! Anyone here can confidently suggest at least a dozen of their person preferences, with very little chance of an authentic piece of "bad advice". Stick with tried & true, proven designs. If you're drawn to something more modern or revolutionary, then best stick with tried & true, proven manufacturers (they have the most to lose by introducing a dud). (*In no particular order); GLOCK, S&W, HK, SIG, Ruger, Walther, Kimber, Colt, Springfield, Rock Island, CZ, FN, Browning, Kahr, (who am I leaving out guys?) Kel-Tec, Taurus, Armalite, et al. have a lot more people who (steel or poly framed) swear by them...than swear AT 'em. = Reliability, dependability, durability, capability & owner loyality. Think of the differences more as "features" rather than "advantages", because the first is an objective choice while the second is purely subjective (and therefore dependent on who you go to for advice). Try, pack & (most importantly) shoot as many options as you can...then decide which of the features most suit your own criteria. Personally, I've never bought a handgun I didn't like something about, there's just some I like a whole lot more than others. That's the BEST part about having a world of options.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnClan View Post
    Fact #1: Polymer (the kind the Glock is made from) will take much longer to degrade than metal when exposed to any elements.
    Fact #2: Collecting guns is great, I prefer to pass my "tools" in functioning good condition to my kids. So I will get the best preforming, easiest to maintenance, straight shooting "tools" that exist. My Glock fits the bill,in fact since my Glock is the ONLY weapon/ tool to be tested the way it has and pass- I am still waiting for a better one...

Oh and yes check the link, if you can find a 1911 pistol out of the box that can take that punishment and work just as well, I will personally drive to where-ever you live and give you My G23 with 5k rounds of ammunition.
    I'm not saying the glock isn't a fine weapon. Maybe even a better one than the all metal weapon.
    I'm just saying I like the idea of leaving my firearms as heirloom to the next generation. They dont have to be collectors to be valuable within a family.
    As far as the plastic guns taking longer to degrade I will need to look over and maybe fire a couple of 75 to 100 year old plastic guns for myself. You may be right i don't know.
    My 130 year old steel gun is still shootin fine.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I'm not saying the glock isn't a fine weapon. Maybe even a better one than the all metal weapon.
    I'm just saying I like the idea of leaving my firearms as heirloom to the next generation. They dont have to be collectors to be valuable within a family.
    As far as the plastic guns taking longer to degrade I will need to look over and maybe fire a couple of 75 to 100 year old plastic guns for myself. You may be right i don't know.
    My 130 year old steel gun is still shootin fine.

Michael
    I understand your views and respect them. As I have said in other locations I love 1911's however for pure lasting goodness I have to grab my Glock... Again thank you.
    Rule of Honor

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links