AWB

This is a discussion on AWB within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; When it comes to "evil black rifles" and the previous AWB, I am totally ignorant so bear with me please. I'm thinking about purchasing an ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AWB

AWB

When it comes to "evil black rifles" and the previous AWB, I am totally ignorant so bear with me please.

I'm thinking about purchasing an AR 15 but I'm thinking that Obama will most likely enact an AWB. In that case how would it affect buying ammo for that rifle? By banning the AR15, does he have the power to ban the purchase of accessories pertaining to that weapon? For example I would eventually like to modify the weapon by buying a free floating rail. I'm assuming high capacity magazines will also be affected?

My main worries are primarily about the ammo though. I don't want to buy an AR15 now and find out a year later that the ammo it needs have been banned.

If someone can ease my mind about this I would appreciate it.

2. Remove Ads

I don't foresee ammo being banned but I can see him implementing a federal tax that is so exhorbitant that a .223 round that costs .35 cents today may cost a dollar or more in the future
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

If AR-15's get banned, everything associated with them will increase in price. Ammo, accessories, magazines, etc..... Vendors depend on a somewhat infinite demand.

Just ordered a kit for my lower about an hour ago from Model 1 sales, I'm not taking any chances or waiting for price to go up. Now looking for High cap mags for a good price. Ammo next.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Predictions as to what the next ban may or may not affect are a waste of time AFAIC. I think it's safe to say that it will be worse than the last one but trying to imagine the specifics is nothing but speculation and buying with the intent of being "compliant" with the next one could very well be an exercise in futility.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

The bill ihas already been introduced in the house. Read everything here: H.R. 6257: Assault Weapons Ban Reauthorization Act of 2008 (GovTrack.us)

All sponsors are Republicans. What are they thinking and who are voting these people to power? Obama (if elected) could sign this into law quickly. And... there is no "sunset clause". It will be permanent.
    225th SAC "Phantom Hawk" - US Army - Vietnam 1969-70

Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticRick View Post
    Just ordered a kit for my lower about an hour ago from Model 1 sales, I'm not taking any chances or waiting for price to go up. Now looking for High cap mags for a good price. Ammo next.
    I just got done putting together my AR lower (dpms) with a kit from Model1 last week, and am very happy with the fit and finish of the kit. A friend that helped me put it together who owns a few AR's himself was impressed with the kit as well and how solid the gun felt once together. I am sure you will be quite happy with it.

I will assume you have +/- $1000 dedicated? Buy an AK (Vector, Arsenal preferred; a Romanian WASR if it's all you can find. $350-$600) and do it within the next few days. Order a case of Wolf Mil-Classic from AMMOMAN.COM d/b/a Discount Distributors (pretty much the best price you can reasonably find without using unnecessary time($225) and 10 used Romanian/Bulgarian mags at $10-13/ea from AIMSurplus, your home for surplus ammunition, guns and firearms ; copesdistributing.com maybe CDNN Sports, Inc. if they have any back in stock. I'd be pretty quick, if you want one. If Buttcrack is elected on the 4th, prices will be double on the 5th.

ARs are nice, but pricey for a quick pick-up. I'd do the AK...

Administrator
    Whatever you decide buy an EBR ASAP and yours will be "Grandfathered In" should there ever be another AWB.

BAC
    The 2008 version is almost identical to the 1994 version. It's so similar, in fact, that I highly recommend reading Section 3, part A, Subsection 4, A describing what constitutes a 'large capacity ammunition feeding device': "means a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device manufactured after the date of enactment of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994 that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than 10 rounds of ammunition..."

Retroactive legislation, anyone?

-B

I already bought my AK-47, Israeli Version. I have 3, 25 rnds mags and 2, 50 rnd mags

Also have 1000 rounds of .223 since the Israeli version shoots that stuff. Did this 3 months ago in fear of the elections
    Last edited by mi2az; October 31st, 2008 at 01:34 PM.

Woah, how is that legal?!?!?!?! Nice to put it into effect a law that after it expired crime went DOWN, not once the law was in effect, but after it expired.

so if i am reading this right they will take our recently bought "assult rifles" they are nuts if they think they are going to go door to door or asking people to turn them in...

You never know, thats when they all go underground. Not sure if it was bias from the NRA, but cops were going into homes in New Orleans demanding peoples guns.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin132 View Post
    Woah, how is that legal?!?!?!?! Nice to put it into effect a law that after it expired crime went DOWN, not once the law was in effect, but after it expired.
    Retroactive legislation like that is not legal. When the Democratic House members realized that the 2006-2007 versions were too strict, they figured they'd go back to the '94 version and, by and large, copied it almost verbatim. The part I bolded is to show exactly that. The intent of the bill, and at least three parts within the bill, are illegal. It won't pass, and if by the off-chance it does, it won't live long.

-B

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links