how to fight rust!

how to fight rust!

This is a discussion on how to fight rust! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; i have a wwI 1911 with a wwII slide, the problem is, since i keep it in the truck till i get my permit in ...

Thread: how to fight rust!

how to fight rust!

i have a wwI 1911 with a wwII slide, the problem is, since i keep it in the truck till i get my permit in (sent off today finally) it gets a little surface rust on the slide and mag. the frame seems to be good at not getting any but the slide gets it fast. the gun is not in perfect shape and i love the gun and want to eventually get it hard chromed, but till then, is there anything i can do to prevent this. the rust literally wipes of with a light cloth or on your hands, but i dont like that it gets it at all.
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."
    Ted Nugent

Google EEZOX and see what you think.. I even use it on my tools and it really keeps them rust free. It also does a good job cleaning my pistols after a visit to the range.
    bosco

I've got a Hoppe's silicone gun cloth that i use for day to day maintenance. Wiping your 1911 down with one of these should keep the rust away for a descent amount of time. Hell, for the $4.00, just buy one and wrap the gun in it if it's staying in the truck.

it stays in a holster in between my seats for access, it will be my carry gun as soon as my permit gets here and i get an IWB holster.

also, i have shot it many times and it shoots great, by only concern is its age, is there anything i should check or replace other than the springs?
    Ted Nugent

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by optikal View Post
    it stays in a holster in between my seats for access, it will be my carry gun as soon as my permit gets here and i get an IWB holster.

also, i have shot it many times and it shoots great, by only concern is its age, is there anything i should check or replace other than the springs?
    If you haven't already, go to the CC Guns section and check out the sticky for 1911 & Clones Function Check. Make sure the safety systems are working properly. Also considering the age of the gun I would strip it down and do a good inspection of it, looking for signs of stress fatigue. A good magnifying glass will help with a good visual inspection. If you see anything that your not sure of, get it checked by a good gunsmith.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

This stuff really works! Spray it on some evening and let it air dry, then wipe it down...it will be kind of tacky, then lightly spray and wipe for storage. This stuff seems like it actually permeates the metal.

thanks for the info, i let clarks look at it and they all loved it, all safety's check out fine. barrel is firmly seated to bushing, springs look good but im about to order more. i will have to try the rust prevent... thanks for the advice....

what about the "baking it in motor oil"? anyone ever done that, i saw the thread but cant find it anymore to see results
    Ted Nugent

what about the "baking it in motor oil"? anyone ever done that, i saw the thread but cant find it anymore to see results
    I think that's rather excessive and unnecessary. Not only that but it sounds like a total mess. Trust me on the Shooter's Choice 'Rust Prevent' as directed. Baking in motor oil sounds like forming a layer or skin on the outside. You need something that penetrates. Other than that, might look at a permanent overlay like duracoat or something.

I like the "Rust Prevent" also. Here's a great aricle comparing different products and a "rust test":

The Gun Zone -- Corrosion test
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I like "Sheath", probably the same thing as the Shooter's Choice above.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Boeshield T-9 spray developed for aerospace use by Boeing. I think all these spray on preventers that get a little tacky if left on are paraffin wax based that are thinned for penetration.

I also second the Eezox. Smells pretty bad to me, but works great. View this salt water test and see how it performs. The very last picture is pretty telling.

Corrosion Protection Products for Rifles, Shooting, Benchrest Competition, Varminting and Firearms Storage

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    What about cosmoline for long term storage? I know it's messy but it works like a dream.

Sponsored Links