Engraving?

This is a discussion on Engraving? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Was wondering if anyone here had done anything like this. My sister was asking me the other day if it was possible to engrave the ...

Thread: Engraving?

Engraving?

Was wondering if anyone here had done anything like this.

My sister was asking me the other day if it was possible to engrave the Marlin 60 she inherited with our father's name and dates. I told her I supposed it was possible to have it engraved or stamped or something like that, but I am very ignorant of metal working and don't know if it could be done in such a way as to not ruin the finish.

Custom decal maybe... I don't know. The text would pretty pretty short, 23 characters I think by my count if we went with the bare minimum. I think if we went with a longer engraving she was considering, it'd be three or four times that.

I really hate the hassle of shipping things to and from an FFL, but that might be my only recourse here, but I figured we have enough 1911 lovers and do it yourselfers and custom gun buyers here someone might know what to tell me.

I'm not adverse to taking it to a venue where they engrave things and just aren't used to guns, but as I was saying I don't think it's just that simple.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    perhaps laser engraving on the stock instead? For a good job on the metal , you would need to find a good smith.

if there is a knife or gun show nearby go visit, sometimes there are engravers there. I know that there is always an engraver at the OKCA club show in Eugene Oregon every year in April that engraves Guns and Knives. You also might check for advertisments in gun and knife magazines, you might find one close by you.

Assistant Administrator
    Certainly IMO Euc not a DIY job. I have a hand engraver which I have used for numerous things but mostly putting date ID's etc on tools and the like. Certainly, well with my limited skill at it - not something I'd try on a fine firearm.

So yeah - be a case of finding the right guy I guess and paying what it takes - but a nice idea, that's for sure. I often admire the fine craftsmanship on some high end shotguns - amazing skill.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I figure it'll cost about $40-$60 + any hassle of shipping it anywhere.

I'm not smart enough to know if a jeweler or a trophy shop or any other "normal" venue can do it without creating problems.

The stock is an interesting idea, but that's not what we want, and is just as problematic.

Senior Moderator
    Go to your local jewlers and have them do it. Most of them can chemical etch whatever you want and it'll look professional. Its what a lot of folks around here do when they need to mark suppressors that they have built and registered.

It looks good.

I meant to answer this yesterday but forgot.

I've been in the trophy business since 1970 and was brought up the old way, on a pantograph engraver. I probably engrave 2-4 rifle barrels a week, usually just caliber designations and the gunsmith's name.

Find a trophy shop or jeweler in your area with a pantograph and the skill to use it. I would just call around and tell them what you want. Rifle barrels are fairly easy to engrave. Remove the stock first as it makes it much easier to hold in the machine.

I don't know what they would charge in your area, but in my opinion, it shouldn't be more than $20 or so for what you are describing

Assistant Administrator
    Haha - Larry - you forgot to post - and I forgot to ask you - you were first fella I thought of to get info and then forgot!!

Sounds encouraging from what you say.

Question tho - and I am not well up on your engraving technique - does that raise a burr much and - what do folks do where bluing has been cut thru? Just keep some protective film like RIG or - does anyone swab on some cold blue?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

No Chris, no burr. The technique is called diamond drag and produces a cut that is v shaped (no metal removed either).

I usually suggest rubbing in some oil to keep from rusting. You can cold blue but the fresh shiny engraving in the blue looks much better.

Links