Cleaning a S&W M&P HELP!!!!!!

This is a discussion on Cleaning a S&W M&P HELP!!!!!! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey All, I have just received my CCP, in MASS this week. I have purchased S&W M&P 40. Compact. I like every thing about the ...

Thread: Cleaning a S&W M&P HELP!!!!!!

Cleaning a S&W M&P HELP!!!!!!

Hey All,
    I have just received my CCP, in MASS this week. I have purchased S&W M&P 40. Compact. I like every thing about the gun.

I have read my manual four times and I understand all factions of the firearm.

But how do I clean it? There is nothing in the manual on how to clean the pistol. I have never cleaned a Pistol before. Is there kit just for cleaning this particular pistol? Does any one no of any websites that walk you through the process? The manual does not state what to use to clean the pistol, nor does it give examples of good products. Help please.

Also is there any way I can customize this gun, I would like to add a bigger slide release s and Mag release. I have searched all over the web, any advice?

Thanks All
    ~Rob~

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Your local gun store should have a pistol cleaning kit for around $11.00 for that specific caliber. It will include everything from the bore solvent to patches, jags and brushes.

Ask 100 different shooters how they clean their firearm and you will get 100 different answers.

The basics are these....

1. Take down the firearm (after being sure it's unloaded, of course)
    2. Clean the barrel (with bore solvent, copper brush, jag and patches) being sure to always move chamber to muzzle
    2.a Run the brush down the bore a dozen times, run a patch down the bore and it will come out black (if you are cleaning after shooting, that is). Repeat the process until the patch comes out clean or only slightly gray.
    3. Clean the frame (usually only an old tooth brush and paper towel is needed)
    4. LIGHTLY oil any place metal would meet metal

There is more in there too and you'll get a lot of advice on the topic. You'll be a pro in no time!

The NRA has some good cleaning instructions out there. You may want to pick up one of their books on storing and caring for firearms.

These vids helped me, they are for a Sig though.

Customer Service: Owner's Manual

The manual says to "dry fire" the gun, don't do it. If you take a small flatbladed screwdriver and push down the lever in the gun you don't have to dry fire it.

Demeo- I also live in Mass. (Western) The M&P 40c is my EDC. Go to pg 22 in your manual follow the instructions on field stripping. Then clean it like Limatunes stated, also see pg 29 on cleaning & maintenance, it's easy. I haven't heard of installing larger slide and mag releases, a concern would be snagging on draw and mag drops with larger releases. A good gunsmith would be the one to ask. Why the mods.?
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

I have an M&P and prowl the boards a lot, and I've never seen a bigger slide release or mag button advertised. If the stop is hard to operate to drop the slide, this is common. It will ease up with use or a bit of polishing of the lever where it meets the slide. Many people prefer/teach the "sling shot" release for the slide when you reload, that may be an option you can look at.
    The mag button: It looks like a larger one would be easy to cobble up by leveling the factory one and adding plastic with some type of glue, but I just don't see it being done by anyone out there and don't think people need it, as a general rule. If you are having trouble reaching the mag release, remember it is common for a shooter to have to slightly shift the grip by turning the gun in your hand to drop the magazine. The larger the button, the easier it is to hit accidentally.
    But I'd try one on a game gun if somebody made one....... ;)
    What Would Gumby Do?

Educational Zone #47 - Cleaning a Semi-Auto Pistol - Page 1

This is a good link IMO if you are new to pistol cleaning. It will give you an idea and you can make your own way based on this way for starters.

I personally use BreakFree CLP instead of wd40. . and yes the link is a 1911 but the parts to clean remain the same
    <><><><><>
    Grass Roots North Carolina
    <><><><><>
    NRA Life Member

I haven't looked at this in a long time. Hope this works for you.

http://home.comcast.net/~maxximus/Cleaning_Your_MP.pdf

That PDF is well done, but it shows the demonstrator scrubbing the breech face in a manner that will allow "junk" to flow into the firing pin hole. I prefer to clean it with a nearly dry brush or cloth, keeping the breech face down to reduce the amount of dirty cleaning solvent and the crud it is carrying from getting down into the striker tunnel. OR learn to take out the striker and solve that problem.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    I have an M&P and prowl the boards a lot, and I've never seen a bigger slide release or mag button advertised. If the stop is hard to operate to drop the slide, this is common. It will ease up with use or a bit of polishing of the lever where it meets the slide. Many people prefer/teach the "sling shot" release for the slide when you reload, that may be an option you can look at.
    The mag button: It looks like a larger one would be easy to cobble up by leveling the factory one and adding plastic with some type of glue, but I just don't see it being done by anyone out there and don't think people need it, as a general rule. If you are having trouble reaching the mag release, remember it is common for a shooter to have to slightly shift the grip by turning the gun in your hand to drop the magazine. The larger the button, the easier it is to hit accidentally.
    But I'd try one on a game gun if somebody made one....... ;)
    With the M&P you can always move the mag release to the other side it takes about 3 minutes to do. Very simple.

Try Youtube. Just do a search on gun cleaning or type in "M&P cleaning". There are some very good vids on guns (cleaning, breaking down, etc) there.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

This seems like a commercial for WD-40, which IMO, I would never use on a firearm. (Although SouthernZ did say to change to CLP, which I agree with, or Hoppes #9).

Try this Google Search for a lot of suggestions and ideas:

how to clean a pistol - Google Search
    Last edited by JonInNY; November 2nd, 2008 at 10:15 PM.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Ditto on NOT using wd40..the wd stands for water displacement and will dry out your gun.I use Hoppe's elite to clean and Breakfree to lube my m and p...no problems.I sue a q-tip w/ breakfree and "paint" the area that rub and then put a drop in the clannels of the slide and let it run down....reassemble,rack a few times..good to go.
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

Links