Firearm selection

This is a discussion on Firearm selection within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am starting my search, as a newbie, for my first firearm. I am still deciding what I want it for, and what features are ...

Thread: Firearm selection

Firearm selection

I am starting my search, as a newbie, for my first firearm. I am still deciding what I want it for, and what features are important to me.
    I am an active male, the wrong side of 40, live in a rural area, plan mainly to go to the range to shoot some 30-50' targets (casual, not competitive), and to have something small and easily hidden for home defense. Ideally this is one gun not two (just yet). If that helps you help me.

Semiautomatic I think.
    I would really like a trigger lock built into the gun. I don't see the point of those grip locks or those ones built into the trigger. I think those are too easily defeated. I am imagining something that is on the side of the gun, and is pushed or pulled - maybe a small button or lever - to lock and unlock the trigger.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Although I would not suggest this gun as a primary self defense piece, the Taurus PT Millenium Pro has a hex key lock that will disable the gun while the lock is turned to "Lock". Nothing will work. Slide will not go back and trigger cannot be pulled.

I dont know of any others that offer this but there may be. I dont personally like trigger locks because they are just as tough for you to defeat when you really really need it to work NOW!

I personally would recommend almost any of the Springfield XD line or the Smith & Wesson M&P line of pistols if you want a good weapon on a less than $600 budget.

Check out the XD 40 subcompact. Its small, powerful and light to carry. It changes from full size grip to compact grip with a simple magazine change. It has trigger block safety and grip safety built in. XD's are very accurate and dependable.

- Smith & Wesson M&P in 9mm or .40SW. Good dependable guns with several choices of caliber and come with thumb safety.

If all you want is a range plinker get something in .22 or 9mm
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I realize your inexperience to some extent, but I'd forget about the trigger locking mechanism if I were you. Just keep the ammo/mags separate and the pistol unloaded if it's a major concern. While not a small pistol comparatively, I'd think a P89DC (all blued) would be a real handy pistol for you and reasonably priced. Moving up a step, the Glock G19 is hard to beat especially for us country boys. You can actually get an aftermarket trigger block for the Glocks if you really feel it necessary. Both are reliable, dependable, low maintenance, throw it in the truck pistols in 9mm and hi-capacity. Firearms safety depends solely on you....no trigger blocking mechanism/external lever can ever make up for that.

You really need 2 guns. Something like a sw 22a for plinking away. You cant beat a 22 pistol for fun and plinking on the cheap.
    For the home, and for someone new to guns, I would suggest a ruger sp101 in 357 form. Fairly cheap and reliable. Powerful enuff to stop a threat now. Now actually for in the home a shot gun is a better choice.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Will there be kids with access to the gun? Trigger locks can be a source of failure/frustration/delay in a moment of panic, and I don't know your specific situation but I would personally prefer a small dedicated gun safe to a trigger lock or even to keeping the ammo separate from the gun.

+1 on the Glock 19
    Yoda, I am, yes.

No trigger locks...get a 'Center of Mass' safe instead ($30). (Search this out on the I-net.)
    If you're apprehensive about safety issues, stay away from a perfectly safe Glock, and instead look at a 1911 which has the additional manual safety and a grip safety.

OMO

Stay armed...take a pistol SD course...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Will there be kids with access to the gun? Trigger locks can be a source of failure/frustration/delay in a moment of panic, and I don't know your specific situation but I would personally prefer a small dedicated gun safe to a trigger lock or even to keeping the ammo separate from the gun.

+1 on the Glock 19
    +1 on the small safe.

I have yet to find one of those safety devices that was worth a damn. The only reason gun makers put those on their guns is because they were forced to by California, not because they work.

The "keys" and locks on the guns are so small it would be next to impossible to unlock a gun in the dark and in a hurry if you needed the gun for home defense.

If you're thinking that they will prevent your gun from being used if it is stolen forget it. They are not keyed like your car keys, any idiot with a screwdriver can unlock it.

Get a small handgun safe and mount it in a hidden spot that will give you quick access. This will keep unwanted fingers from getting to the gun but give you quick access.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Ditto on the course...and I would go to a couple of gun stores and check the feel and grip as well. After that, I would go to a range that rents guns and try a few of the ones you checked at the gun store.

There are a lot to chose from...getting an opinion here is like asking someone CC versus OC.

Rick

VIP Member
    Your looking for a gun to serve dual purpose, range/defensive. I'd recommend a CZ75 P-01 9mm or P-06 .40 cal. If you want something with a manual safety then the CZ75 Compact in either caliber. I personally wouldn't recommend a gun with a built in locking system. Having to keep up with and fumble with some sort of key to unlock it, kind of defeats the purpose of a self defense weapon. Remember if you need it, 99% of the time your not going to have the time to mess with a lock. A good home safe or a COM safe is a better way to go.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

jfl
    I don't liike trigger locks.

If your are not familiar with firearms, get something simple a revolver, a Glock /XD (very similar) but above all find a NRA instructor in your area and take a basic pistol course at least; he/she will also discuss with you gun choices.

Welcome aboard !!!
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Much good advice. A handgun is not suited at 30' to 50', so practice at a shorter distance, or pick up a .22 rifle.
    I'll second a vote for CZ's, check their web site (actually works sometimes!) for safeties and de-cockers.
    That's a P-06 .40 S&W just under my name.
    Last edited by Rmac58; November 2nd, 2008 at 02:42 PM. Reason: grammer

I'd suggest a nice .45acp 1911 with a .22 conversion top. They take only a minute to switch back and forth. You practice very cheaply with the .22 and have a mighty powerful defensive .45 when needed. The 1911 comes with two separate safeties, plus the one between your ears.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I'd suggest a nice .45acp 1911 with a .22 conversion top. They take only a minute to switch back and forth. You practice very cheaply with the .22 and have a mighty powerful defensive .45 when needed. The 1911 comes with two separate safeties, plus the one between your ears.
    I was about to say the same, except with the G19. Get either a Glock or a 1911 (shoot both and decide which you like better), then get a conversion kit for .22lr here: Advantage Arms Inc. - Handgun Conversion Kits - Official Manufacturer Site
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

if having a built in lock on your gun is an absolute must the ruger p345 has one. I love my ruger and its easy to use and fairly cheap and small enough to carry if need be. The only time i ever lock mine is when its stored in my center console while i'm at work. I'd have to agree with the majority of the posts so far get a quick access safe of some sorts.

another suggestion on a gun would be anything from the XD line. again i enjoy shooting my XD .45 but its a little large for someone of my small stature to carry.

as far as plinking go for a .22 can't beat the cheapness of ammo. try going to a pawn shop and seeing if they have any used Ruger Mark series .22s. don't have any experience with any other company's .22s but from what i've read most are generally reliable and are built to last. but as always be careful buying any used gun make sure to inspect it well first

Links