Fixing your own firearm and ordering parts

This is a discussion on Fixing your own firearm and ordering parts within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was reading how some people prefer Glocks over XD's because you can order individual parts and repair/replace stuff on your own whereas with the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fixing your own firearm and ordering parts

Fixing your own firearm and ordering parts

I was reading how some people prefer Glocks over XD's because you can order individual parts and repair/replace stuff on your own whereas with the XD's you have to send it back to Springfield Armory. I was just wondering how many of you have had to replace or repair parts on your firearms and what broke and what you had to fix. I'm just curious as to how common this might be.

2. Remove Ads

Talking XD Spare Parts - The Myth, the Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BigD7 View Post
    I was reading how some people prefer Glocks over XD's because you can order individual parts and repair/replace stuff on your own whereas with the XD's you have to send it back to Springfield Armory. I was just wondering how many of you have had to replace or repair parts on your firearms and what broke and what you had to fix. I'm just curious as to how common this might be.
    First off, this is no longer true (as of a year ago). You can buy XD parts through third parties.

I bought a few spare parts from PISTOLGEAR | YOUR ONE-STOP SHOP FOR ALL THINGS PISTOL , they are good to go.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I have spare parts for all of my Glocks. I swap parts now and then, but have yet to replace a broken part. They are JIC parts for the most part. I do rebuild my own magazines though. Never contemplated getting an XD. I suspect I never will.

Part of what is nice about Glocks is how simple it is to personalize them. My G21 has a nice, light, crisp trigger (well, for a Glock) now that I've added a LWD 3.5 lb connector and trigger stop/Wolff extra power trigger spring, and they only took a few minutes to install.

With my old XD45, on the other hand, the only option was to send it off for a $125 trigger job. That thing had a mile of pre-travel, too, and could have really used it.

IIRC, a Glock only has something like 38 parts, and can be completely detail stripped in just a few minutes (using nothing but a pin punch). The XD is more complex.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

This is one reason I hesitated getting an M&P. I can take my glock down to nothing in just a couple of minutes and repair/change anything myself.

I also have a bag of extra parts. Just in case. I've never yet had to use them.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Without getting too far into "A vs. B", it is still difficult to find FP, extractor, etc., etc., for the XD series. Most commonly one need only replace springs in rotation, but if one has to send one's pistol to the factory for replacement of a drop-safety, firing pin or similar, one is at the mercy of the manufacturer's shop schedule and the shipping agent's honesty.

I can bulid a Glock from a parts box, minus the frame. The same cannot be said of XDs. As to this being a major advantage, that's a personal perspective. I've seen too much stupidity from "gunsmiths", including factory shops, to prefer sending things out.

Parts

As for what parts that might need replacing, I care for some high mileage rental guns and I have a good idea on that. The only parts I have replaced on a Glock were recoil springs (due to failure of the plastic guide rod), trigger spring (the stock 5.5 not the NY) slide cover plate (failure of the plastic part) rear sight (dropped) and firing pin safety plunger (got beat up, had burrs on it and started sticking). Occasionaly a mag follower will get beat up enough to stop locking the slide back reliably, but the mag will still function. Those are the parts I keep in stock, and I've replaced or upgraded them in my personal Glocks.

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    As for what parts that might need replacing, I care for some high mileage rental guns and I have a good idea on that. The only parts I have replaced on a Glock were recoil springs (due to failure of the plastic guide rod), trigger spring (the stock 5.5 not the NY) slide cover plate (failure of the plastic part) rear sight (dropped) and firing pin safety plunger (got beat up, had burrs on it and started sticking). Occasionaly a mag follower will get beat up enough to stop locking the slide back reliably, but the mag will still function. Those are the parts I keep in stock, and I've replaced or upgraded them in my personal Glocks.
    Thanks for the list !
    I am going to order some tomorrow, probably from LWD.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

That is a very good list IMO.
    Thanks for the list !
    I am going to order some tomorrow, probably from LWD.
    In my opinion, you could do better with topgunsupply.com. He's my go-to distributor for the factory Glock parts now. I used to go through Ajax. If Tom can't come out better on the actual retail price, you'll get the best shipping costs no doubt.
    TRIGGER SPRINGS & PINS - Top Gun Supply

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Without getting too far into "A vs. B", it is still difficult to find FP, extractor, etc., etc., for the XD series. Most commonly one need only replace springs in rotation, but if one has to send one's pistol to the factory for replacement of a drop-safety, firing pin or similar, one is at the mercy of the manufacturer's shop schedule and the shipping agent's honesty.

I can bulid a Glock from a parts box, minus the frame. The same cannot be said of XDs. As to this being a major advantage, that's a personal perspective. I've seen too much stupidity from "gunsmiths", including factory shops, to prefer sending things out.
    Still not sure why the Glock guys perpetuate this myth.

This is the same for the XD.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I have put about 10 bazillion rounds through my Glock and I am starting to think it may be time for a new firing pin spring. Recently I have gotten 2 FTFs (with WWB though) which may have been light strikes. (Yes, the firing pin channel is clear and not full of grease or anything)

It could also just be bad ammo but I figure a new spring is, what, $4? It's worth it.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    Still not sure why the Glock guys perpetuate this myth.

This is the same for the XD.
    OMB Police Supply, Brownells and Sinclair Sales, among others have a full stock of Glock internals, in stock.

Honestly, I am unaware of any vendor with a full replacement parts list for the XD (all parts except the frame and slide). If you have a source, I know it would be much appreciated by two XD owners on another forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    OMB Police Supply, Brownells and Sinclair Sales, among others have a full stock of Glock internals, in stock.

Honestly, I am unaware of any vendor with a full replacement parts list for the XD (all parts except the frame and slide). If you have a source, I know it would be much appreciated by two XD owners on another forum.
    See the second post in this thread for the link.

The only thing you have to call to order right now is a slide, and they are hard to get. Everything else is available. EFK even makes barrels if you don't want a factory one.

Yes I order parts and do my own repairs - I'll leave it at that.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

If you've got a blunted finishing nail (or a large paper clip) and can read...you're pretty-much qualified as your own GLOCK 'smith. If you have a Dremel Tool & a soldering iron...you're in real danger of being wayy, uh, umm, "over-qualified". With a little research around here & at GLOCKTALK...you're just shy of full Factory GLOCK Armorer status. No pistol short of a 1911 has a wider variety of available parts from a broader range of manufacturers. But unlike the 1911, no device more-complex than a Steak Knife is easier to personally maintain than a GLOCK.

I was a complete & total self-elected anti-GLOCK spokesperson...until I BOUGHT one. Now? I am among the faithful.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links