AA .22 Conversion or Walther P22

This is a discussion on AA .22 Conversion or Walther P22 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Which do you think would be the better choice for plinking and practice. I could grab an AA conversion kit for one of my Glocks, ...

Thread: AA .22 Conversion or Walther P22

AA .22 Conversion or Walther P22

Which do you think would be the better choice for plinking and practice.

I could grab an AA conversion kit for one of my Glocks, or should I just step up a few more bucks and get a Walther P22.

Opinions, others preferences, or any other Ideas.

I'd still practice with carry loads, and original calibers, but just for some extra shooting, the .22s are cheap.

2. Remove Ads

Personally I went with the AA Conversion for my G19. That way you're still training with the same weapon system at a reduced cost and expense.
    Check out the General Firearms Discussion. Thanis has a thread running there with updates on how his AA conversion is performing.
    I know there have been a couple AA kits on Glocktalk for sale.

Thanks ksokie, I'll look that thread up.

Guess it be easier and wouldn't have to deal with the Permit paperwork, and three week wait to add and FFL for the Walther.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar

Live & Learn

Quote Originally Posted by ksokie View Post
    Personally I went with the AA Conversion for my G19. That way you're still training with the same weapon system at a reduced cost and expense.
    This ia exactally when happens when you try to save money like I did. Now I have a S&W 9mm for a PDW and S&W 22A to practice. Had I heeded the above advice, I could practive with the same weapon and carry much less bagage.

At this point no regrets other than not asking more questions. I do like what I have..

Craig

I didn't have great, uh...satisfaction from my Walther P22 (bought early model, soon after introduction). While I don't have ANY experience with the AA G19 Conversion, I am very confident in my G19. However, I have a Marvel .22 1911 conversion & can tell you there are distinct advantages to low-cost practice with your dedicated carry gun.

By the way CraigStill,
    What's a Kentuckian doing with a picture of that nasty, Tennessee sipping whiskey right under your name?!? Couldn't you find a picture of Woodford Reserve, Maker's Mark, Jim Beam, Booker Knoe, or even...Old Crow (fer' pete's sake). You're not an undercover Volunteer are ya'?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I have both, and I enjoy shooting and practicing with both.

However if I were only going to buy one I would definitely buy the AA conversion! You will have to buy the remington golden bullets to shoot in the AA for it to function properly but that is no biggie.

I didn't relize you are in NY. For all the hassles you have to go thru to obtain another firearm I would definitely look into the AA conversion. I have several other .22's but for the reason stated above I really enjoy my G19 AA conversion. My only complaint is mag capacity but until someone comes out with hi-caps I'll keep plugging away 10 rounds at a time.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    I didn't have great, uh...satisfaction from my Walther P22 (bought early model, soon after introduction). While I don't have ANY experience with the AA G19 Conversion, I am very confident in my G19. However, I have a Marvel .22 1911 conversion & can tell you there are distinct advantages to low-cost practice with your dedicated carry gun.

By the way CraigStill,
    What's a Kentuckian doing with a picture of that nasty, Tennessee sipping whiskey right under your name?!? Couldn't you find a picture of Woodford Reserve, Maker's Mark, Jim Beam, Booker Knoe, or even...Old Crow (fer' pete's sake). You're not an undercover Volunteer are ya'?
    What about Kentucky Gentleman???

I have the AA kit, and I would highly recommend it. It helps to be able to practice with the same sight picture as your carry gun (though the conversion kit is significantly lighter than the stock slide).
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Can't address the Glock conversion, but I have a Marvel on my 1911, and I'd take that over a Walther anytime. I get to use my same defensive platform, and only have to carry one gun.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    the conversions are nice but if you get the Walther instead of the conversion kit, at the end of the day you have two fully functioning weapons. Who doesn't like another pony in the stable?

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    the conversions are nice but if you get the Walther instead of the conversion kit, at the end of the day you have two fully functioning weapons.
    If only that were true!

I got rid of our P22! It was a jam-o-matic with every ammo I fed it (>5 different brands/types).

Bought an AA conversion for my Wife's G17 and she loves it. Feed it Rem Golden Bullets (~$16/550 at Wal-Mart) all day long with no jams and pure fun.

Sunday we brought my 1911 (with Ciener .22 kit) and S&W 642 (that I had just mounted an UltraDot on) to the club and blasted thru a box (550) of Golden Bullets for the conversion and 100 rds of Aguila Std Vel for the 642. Lots of fun, no jams and shot for cheap money.

Highly recommend the conversion kits, especially with today's prices for ammo.

Administrator
    I'd buy the conversion. The niche guns like the Walthers, Mosquitos etc are neat toys, but they are just that.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Well, thanks for all the input and opions, I'm going to get on the wait list for AA.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NYcarry View Post
    Well, thanks for all the input and opions, I'm going to get on the wait list for AA.
    Check out the Classifieds on various forums. I bought my AA G17 kit off someone on GlockTalk, no waiting!

I had the Ciener 1911 kit on backorder from Brownells for 6 months before I received it!

Well I see the 26/27 are in stock, I'll grab one of those, and get on the list for the 19/23

Links