Rem. 1100 3" magnum

Rem. 1100 3" magnum

This is a discussion on Rem. 1100 3" magnum within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a quick question about my new purchase. I recently bought a older Remington 1100 chambered in 3" magnum and i have only put ...

Thread: Rem. 1100 3" magnum

Rem. 1100 3" magnum

I have a quick question about my new purchase. I recently bought a older Remington 1100 chambered in 3" magnum and i have only put 5 shells through it but they did not fully cycle. The shells that i was shooting were low brass the kind that you buy in bulk say at wal-mart to shoot at clays. Is the cycling problem because of the low powered shells or is it the little o-ring that wears out. I'm not familiar with the magnum guns do i have to shoot the high powered shells? Any help would be appreciated.
    "I am completely out of ammo.......thats never happened to me before?" Burt Gummer -Tremors2-

"In England, if you commit a crime, the police don't have a gun and you don't have a gun. If you commit a crime, the police will say "Stop, or I'll say stop again." Robin Williams

I have two 1100's but both of mine are 2 3/4". Not sure how old you are talking but shotguns that are chambered for 3" should be able to eat 2 3/4" as well. This might be too obvious but have you broken it down and cleaned and oiled it? I've never had a problem like you are experiencing with mine and I have shot thousands of rounds through my 1100 Trap. Sorry, I wasn't more help.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Sounds like you may need a new o ring. Low brass/high brass/mag shouldn't matter. You might try a little lube on the o ring too for the time being, but there's no reason not to just replace it.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks guys I just went ahead and ordered some o-rings. We'll see if that takes care of it. Thanks again.
    "I am completely out of ammo.......thats never happened to me before?" Burt Gummer -Tremors2-

"In England, if you commit a crime, the police don't have a gun and you don't have a gun. If you commit a crime, the police will say "Stop, or I'll say stop again." Robin Williams

I can't remember if you need to turn the metal ring the other way to allow more pressure or not,been several years since i had an 1100 but i think if you have the metal ring turned wrong way it won't cycle
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The other thing you should check are the two tiny holes in the barrel about midway down from the butt end. This is where the gas goes through for the recycle, and they do get clogged over time. A pipe cleaner soaked in a little Hoppes works great to ream those holes.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Sponsored Links