Why do I need 30 rounds

This is a discussion on Why do I need 30 rounds within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by mcp1810 How about......... "Because you psychologically damaged me while I was a child and I will never feel that I am adequately ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why do I need 30 rounds

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    How about.........

"Because you psychologically damaged me while I was a child and I will never feel that I am adequately prepared for any kind of conflict. If it weren't for your poor parenting I would feel I could master the world with nothing more than my intellect."

See what kind of response that gets!
    Maybe I'll try that
    The Second Amendment ...... Because crime SHOULD be a hazardous occupation.

If you want to piss off a conservative, lie to him.
    If you want to piss off a liberal, tell him the truth.

2. Remove Ads

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerbyron View Post
    I was in a discussion with my father about Obama (he's a supporter) and he was arguing that Obama will not ban guns. I said that he will not ban them outright but will likley pursue a AWB type ban with magazine restrictions. His response was like, why do you need a gun that shoots 30 rounds? I would have liked a better response than, "Because it's my right". What I really would like to say is,"The purpose of the second amendment is to protect myself and my family from armed criminals, a foreign army, or an oppresive government, and to do this I need an effective combat weapon that puts me on an even playing field against my opponent.

If anyone has a better argument let me know as I want to be more prepared next time.
    Instead of you trying to justify 30 rounds, ask him to justify why not.

-B

I'm really favoring an earlier suggestion that we steer the conversation away from any talk of "Why do you NEED . . .?"

The 2A is not about need. It is, as has been pointed out, about rights.

When we take a stand on rights, we'll win the greater argument. When we capitulate to the base argument of needs, we will lose. It's that simple.

Why? Because here's what I need for life: food, shelter, clothing. That's it. Don't need a variety of foods. Don't need three cars. Don't need a bigger house. Don't need satellite TV. Don't need a gun. Don't need 30 rounds. Don't need anything besides food, shelter, and clothing to stay alive.

But our government has seen fit (and rightly so, I might add) to state that beyond the basic needs of life every US citizen has certain inalienable rights merely because they are a US citizen. One of those rights is to keep and bear arms. If that is a right, it is a right, and not based upon "need" in any way. They have not stated that every citizen needs a gun, nor needs a certain type of gun, nor needs a specific purpose in having a gun. They have not said that if a citizen's needs meet a certain set of criteria that they may keep a gun. But they have explicitly stated that every citizen has a right to a gun.

Therefore, what constitutes a reasonable need in an individually-owned firearm is not up for debate. The government has no right to infringe upon the rights it has already given me as a citizen, as they have already established that I do not need the extras beyond the bare necessities, but that nevertheless as a US citizen I have a right to them.

"The government has no right to infringe upon the rights it has already given me as a citizen,"

The government has not givin us any rights. They can only take away rights. We are born with our rights. The constitution is a document listing the rights or powers of the federal government, not the people.

I believe the 10th admendment was put in place as a reminder to the federal government that its powers were limited.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by farmerbyron View Post
    why do you need a gun that shoots 30 rounds?
    Good point.

In addition..

We should limit all cars to a maximum of 55 mph.
    Limit internet download speeds to 56Kbps
    Limit everyone to 2500 calories of food per day
    Restrict every building from having lights on after 9:00 PM
    Have a maximum alcohol content of 3.2% for all adult beverages.

Because it's for the children

Have you ever seen the movie, "The Night of the Living Dead?" Folks can get pretty nasty in a hurry for a whole bunch of reasons.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    Need?
    No.
    Want?
    Yes.
    And why not?

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev9mm View Post
    But our government has seen fit (and rightly so, I might add) to state that beyond the basic needs of life every US citizen has certain inalienable rights merely because they are a US citizen. One of those rights is to keep and bear arms.
    Our country was founded with the following words:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed
    The right to keep and bear arms is part of the right to life, and thus is not given to us by the government but by God. It has nothing to do with being a US citizen.

Just as a side note, all persons legally allowed to be in the US are also legally allowed to have guns here by law. You do not have to be a citizen. This makes sense...the rest of the Bill of Rights doesn't merely apply to citizens either.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    The right to keep and bear arms is part of the right to life, and thus is not given to us by the government but by God.

Well, I'll tell you, I happen to have a personal friend in the God business , and I'm not entirely convinced that owning a gun IS a God-given right. It's a right that I appreciate and value, but just can't quite elevate it to the status of Divine.

But I'll let you disagree.

Just as a side note, all persons legally allowed to be in the US are also legally allowed to have guns here by law. You do not have to be a citizen. This makes sense...the rest of the Bill of Rights doesn't merely apply to citizens either.
    Good point.

Well, I'll tell you, I happen to have a personal friend in the God business , and I'm not entirely convinced that owning a gun IS a God-given right. It's a right that I appreciate and value, but just can't quite elevate it to the status of Divine.
    I'm actually not a huge believer in God myself. However, that is certainly what the founders believed

Even though I am not a big believer in God however I do believe that certain rights are inherent in that not having them is an affront to free will.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    . . . however I do believe that certain rights are inherent in that not having them is an affront to free will.
    Not sure how "free will" comes into play in this situation, but I will certainly agree that the right to protect one's family and property does indeed seem inherent to life itself.

Dang . . . which means I might need to rethink my earlier statement. We'll see.

Not sure how "free will" comes into play in this situation, but I will certainly agree that the right to protect one's family and property does indeed seem inherent to life itself.
    Same idea, I think.

In my view it would be covered in the same way that slavery is wrong, or murder. The right to live a life of your choosing with minimal interference by others is just...well...not having such a right seems like a bad idea!

JD
    Administrator
    Simple:

It's better to have and not need, than to need and not have.

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    You know, I wouldn't be surprised if they outlaw 30 round mags for civilians AND the military. After all, we just don't understand those poor repressed Al Qaida types and we should be more empathetic to their whole social plight and....oh excuse me, I am going to be sick.

I just threw up in my mouth a little...
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links