Defensive Carry banner

Why do I need 30 rounds

3K views 43 replies 34 participants last post by  citizen510 
#1 ·
I was in a discussion with my father about Obama (he's a supporter) and he was arguing that Obama will not ban guns. I said that he will not ban them outright but will likley pursue a AWB type ban with magazine restrictions. His response was like, why do you need a gun that shoots 30 rounds? I would have liked a better response than, "Because it's my right". What I really would like to say is,"The purpose of the second amendment is to protect myself and my family from armed criminals, a foreign army, or an oppresive government, and to do this I need an effective combat weapon that puts me on an even playing field against my opponent. :comeandgetsome:

If anyone has a better argument let me know as I want to be more prepared next time.

#2 ·
There is no better response than that. Rights are neither subjected nor regulated to the "reasoning" of someone who may think you do not need that much Right.

#4 ·
Tell him you need large capacity magazines for completion games you play with
fellow gun lovers who some happen to be Leo's and military personal who I hold high on my list of decent people. Also tell your Dad nicely and respectively
that's it an American right bought and paid for by our solders blood and you are
going to exercises that right so it's not lost! Say a prayer tonight for our brave
troops serving our country in some crappy country.

#5 ·
Have him read about the Salt Lake City Mall shooting. Where the off-duty cop and his 1911 was dry and no reload. He was lucky the perp did not know he was empty and I'm sure he wished he would have brought his other two mags.

#6 ·
My response would be "So I can make the gun go bang 30 times before having to reload with another 30 rounds!"

The only thing I don't like about standard capacity mags is they take forever to reload.

#7 ·
You should ask him why he thinks NObama won't ban guns. Every vote he has cast that has to do with guns has been against guns, gun owners, right to carry, etc., etc., etc.. So how does he conclude there won't be a ban. I just don't get people like your dad, no offense. They know absolutely nothing about this guy but they are willing to vote him into the presidency.

#10 ·
Somebody smarter than myself once said that there are only 2 real reasons to own a rifle.

1) To get something to eat.

2) To stop someone from doing something that you do not want them to.

Sometimes (on a bad, bad day) to effect the second of these reasons may take more than five or ten rounds.

The Second Ammendment to the United States Constitution is less about duck hunting, skeet shooting, bullseye competion or even self defense, but more about LIBERTY. We should as Americans be concerned about Liberty.

#11 ·
Why do you need side door beams, seat belts and air bags on a car? They are all there for protection and to hopefully save lives and prevent serious injurys.

#13 ·
It seems that folks use the "NEEDS" argument more and more these days. Why are we as a country so eager to let someone else decide what we need?
When ever someone uses that argument on me I'm glad to point out everything of theirs that they don't need. Go on the offensive, after all we are no longer talking about your firearms, we are talking about needs. I would start by saying that obese folks don't need to wear spandex. :danceban:

Michael

#15 ·
Why would you need 30 rounds? Same reason you would need a gun. The unprepared are the ones that loose battles.

#16 ·
Turn it around. Why don't you need 30 rounds? People who ask that question take it for granted that there's something inherently evil about having a full capacity magazine. That's not so.

#17 ·
I feel if a disaster has occurred natural or man made and if the fabric of society unravels, we may need to protect ourselves.

#19 ·
Defense against a violent mob.

#21 ·
why 30? there may be 29 in the "group". I might miss one.
the reality is that if there are multpul, most people can count to 5,10 even to 15. 30 give you a higher shooting to reload time, if the SHTF that me be needed. it is not just home def, it is country too. but in that case snipe one and take thers.

#22 ·
You know, I wouldn't be surprised if they outlaw 30 round mags for civilians AND the military. After all, we just don't understand those poor repressed Al Qaida types and we should be more empathetic to their whole social plight and....oh excuse me, I am going to be sick.

#27 ·
I don't have a problem without the right to have a M1A2 tank in my front yard. It gets lousy fuel effieicency.

I don't have a problem without the right to have a mortar in my arsenal.

I don't have a problem without the right to have my own RPG launcher.

I don't have a problem without the right to have a M240 machinegun.

Some regulations are not a bad thing, but when we restrict the possibility of protecting someone then we have a problem. Do you need a rifle to protect yourself while walking down the street? Probably not. Most crime you have to worry about is close quarters. Now telling me I can't own one, or regulating it so bad that I can't go plink is rediculous. I will fight just about any new regulations as I think the ones we have are fine. I will say that I have a problem with the gun show loophole, because I have no problem having my background checked. Not a one. I imagine most folks wouldn't either. Unless they are doing something illegal, or are on the fringe of society.

#28 ·
I guess I could add more to this list of things we could restrict BECAUSE IT DOESN'T AFFECT ME.
I personally don't want a machinegun. I can't afford the ammo. If you want to own one I have no problem with that.

I would fight to protect your freedom. That freedom includes the right to do things that I don't necessarly agree with. Thats the price I pay if I want to keep MY freedoms intact.
Once I have lost my freedom to do as i wish why would I care if you can't go do your plinkin?

Michael

#29 ·
How about.........

"Because you psychologically damaged me while I was a child and I will never feel that I am adequately prepared for any kind of conflict. If it weren't for your poor parenting I would feel I could master the world with nothing more than my intellect."

See what kind of response that gets!

#30 ·
Here is something to think about with your father:

This whole sort of discussion is kinda silly. (In fact the whole Clinton AWB was silly!) Mag capacity does not effect how deadly a weapon is. Regulating, flash suppressors, pistol grips, and barrel shrouds does not prevent crime.

Discussion (and legislation) like this distract us from real issues. Things like taking steps to prevent crime, enforcing existing laws, protecting ones-self, and catching and punishing those responsible are far move valuable.

Tell you father not to fall for "buzz" words that have no meaning and to look into real efforts to improve safety if it is something he has interest in.

We can argue about how long an elephant's trunk should be, but it doesn't help when you have to shovel it's poop!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.