Defensive Carry banner

Why do I need 30 rounds

3K views 43 replies 34 participants last post by  citizen510 
#1 ·
I was in a discussion with my father about Obama (he's a supporter) and he was arguing that Obama will not ban guns. I said that he will not ban them outright but will likley pursue a AWB type ban with magazine restrictions. His response was like, why do you need a gun that shoots 30 rounds? I would have liked a better response than, "Because it's my right". What I really would like to say is,"The purpose of the second amendment is to protect myself and my family from armed criminals, a foreign army, or an oppresive government, and to do this I need an effective combat weapon that puts me on an even playing field against my opponent. :comeandgetsome:

If anyone has a better argument let me know as I want to be more prepared next time.

#32 ·
Instead of you trying to justify 30 rounds, ask him to justify why not.

-B

#33 ·
I'm really favoring an earlier suggestion that we steer the conversation away from any talk of "Why do you NEED . . .?"

The 2A is not about need. It is, as has been pointed out, about rights.

When we take a stand on rights, we'll win the greater argument. When we capitulate to the base argument of needs, we will lose. It's that simple.

Why? Because here's what I need for life: food, shelter, clothing. That's it. Don't need a variety of foods. Don't need three cars. Don't need a bigger house. Don't need satellite TV. Don't need a gun. Don't need 30 rounds. Don't need anything besides food, shelter, and clothing to stay alive.

But our government has seen fit (and rightly so, I might add) to state that beyond the basic needs of life every US citizen has certain inalienable rights merely because they are a US citizen. One of those rights is to keep and bear arms. If that is a right, it is a right, and not based upon "need" in any way. They have not stated that every citizen needs a gun, nor needs a certain type of gun, nor needs a specific purpose in having a gun. They have not said that if a citizen's needs meet a certain set of criteria that they may keep a gun. But they have explicitly stated that every citizen has a right to a gun.

Therefore, what constitutes a reasonable need in an individually-owned firearm is not up for debate. The government has no right to infringe upon the rights it has already given me as a citizen, as they have already established that I do not need the extras beyond the bare necessities, but that nevertheless as a US citizen I have a right to them.

#38 ·
But our government has seen fit (and rightly so, I might add) to state that beyond the basic needs of life every US citizen has certain inalienable rights merely because they are a US citizen. One of those rights is to keep and bear arms.
Our country was founded with the following words:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed
The right to keep and bear arms is part of the right to life, and thus is not given to us by the government but by God. It has nothing to do with being a US citizen.

Just as a side note, all persons legally allowed to be in the US are also legally allowed to have guns here by law. You do not have to be a citizen. This makes sense...the rest of the Bill of Rights doesn't merely apply to citizens either.

#34 ·
"The government has no right to infringe upon the rights it has already given me as a citizen,"

The government has not givin us any rights. They can only take away rights. We are born with our rights. The constitution is a document listing the rights or powers of the federal government, not the people.

I believe the 10th admendment was put in place as a reminder to the federal government that its powers were limited.

Michael

#35 ·
why do you need a gun that shoots 30 rounds?
Good point.

In addition..

We should limit all cars to a maximum of 55 mph.
Limit internet download speeds to 56Kbps
Limit everyone to 2500 calories of food per day
Restrict every building from having lights on after 9:00 PM
Have a maximum alcohol content of 3.2% for all adult beverages.

Because it's for the children :smoke23:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.