Why do I need 30 rounds

Why do I need 30 rounds

This is a discussion on Why do I need 30 rounds within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was in a discussion with my father about Obama (he's a supporter) and he was arguing that Obama will not ban guns. I said ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Why do I need 30 rounds

I was in a discussion with my father about Obama (he's a supporter) and he was arguing that Obama will not ban guns. I said that he will not ban them outright but will likley pursue a AWB type ban with magazine restrictions. His response was like, why do you need a gun that shoots 30 rounds? I would have liked a better response than, "Because it's my right". What I really would like to say is,"The purpose of the second amendment is to protect myself and my family from armed criminals, a foreign army, or an oppresive government, and to do this I need an effective combat weapon that puts me on an even playing field against my opponent.

If anyone has a better argument let me know as I want to be more prepared next time.
    The Second Amendment ...... Because crime SHOULD be a hazardous occupation.

If you want to piss off a conservative, lie to him.
    If you want to piss off a liberal, tell him the truth.

VIP Member
    There is no better response than that. Rights are neither subjected nor regulated to the "reasoning" of someone who may think you do not need that much Right.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

The second amendment is my CCW

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Tell him you need large capacity magazines for completion games you play with
    fellow gun lovers who some happen to be Leo's and military personal who I hold high on my list of decent people. Also tell your Dad nicely and respectively
    that's it an American right bought and paid for by our solders blood and you are
    going to exercises that right so it's not lost! Say a prayer tonight for our brave
    troops serving our country in some crappy country.

Have him read about the Salt Lake City Mall shooting. Where the off-duty cop and his 1911 was dry and no reload. He was lucky the perp did not know he was empty and I'm sure he wished he would have brought his other two mags.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    My response would be "So I can make the gun go bang 30 times before having to reload with another 30 rounds!"

The only thing I don't like about standard capacity mags is they take forever to reload.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

You should ask him why he thinks NObama won't ban guns. Every vote he has cast that has to do with guns has been against guns, gun owners, right to carry, etc., etc., etc.. So how does he conclude there won't be a ban. I just don't get people like your dad, no offense. They know absolutely nothing about this guy but they are willing to vote him into the presidency.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

You need thirty rounds because someday, as unlikley as it may be, you may have use the rifle to defend yourself, your family, or your country and low capacity reduces the effectivness of the weapon.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I have done some tactical matches and I know from experience that I usually miss the first 29 shots. Having to have to reload in the middle would slow me down even more.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Somebody smarter than myself once said that there are only 2 real reasons to own a rifle.

1) To get something to eat.

2) To stop someone from doing something that you do not want them to.

Sometimes (on a bad, bad day) to effect the second of these reasons may take more than five or ten rounds.

The Second Ammendment to the United States Constitution is less about duck hunting, skeet shooting, bullseye competion or even self defense, but more about LIBERTY. We should as Americans be concerned about Liberty.

VIP Member
    Why do you need side door beams, seat belts and air bags on a car? They are all there for protection and to hopefully save lives and prevent serious injurys.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    I have done some tactical matches and I know from experience that I usually miss the first 29 shots. Having to have to reload in the middle would slow me down even more.
    I was gonna say if the first 29 don't stop the threat ,I'm gonna need at least 30
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

It seems that folks use the "NEEDS" argument more and more these days. Why are we as a country so eager to let someone else decide what we need?
    When ever someone uses that argument on me I'm glad to point out everything of theirs that they don't need. Go on the offensive, after all we are no longer talking about your firearms, we are talking about needs. I would start by saying that obese folks don't need to wear spandex.

Michael

To cover his dumb a** against multiple assailants when his five shot snubby runs dry.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Why would you need 30 rounds? Same reason you would need a gun. The unprepared are the ones that loose battles.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links