Women arm themselves for protection!

This is a discussion on Women arm themselves for protection! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Apparently there's a movement here recently...more so than before apparently when the media takes notice. Good! Women arm themselves for protection - FOX16.com Women in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Women arm themselves for protection!

Women arm themselves for protection!

Apparently there's a movement here recently...more so than before apparently when the media takes notice. Good!
    Women arm themselves for protection - FOX16.com
    Women in central Arkansas are learning how to protect themselves against intruders and people who want to harm them. In less than two weeks, three Little Rock women have been killed. This violence is prompting more women to fight back.

Susan Desselle is learning how to protect herself with a gun. "I don't feel as safe here and I'm out and about all the time and I don't want to be a victim," says Desselle.

"They're buying the stun guns, they're buying pepper spray, they're buying a hand gun," says Don Hill, owner of Donís Weaponry. Hill says in past two weeks, interest from women is up 80 percent. "Well they're scared. You know, they're concerned and rightly so. A lot of them live by themselves and are working individuals. As a result the only thing they have laying around the house is a fire poker and they need something to protect them," Hill says.

Hill tells us itís important to do more than just a background check before selling a gun. ďA gun can be as dangerous in the hands of someone who doesn't know how to use as it is to the person that they're using against. If you don't know how to use one, don't buy one. We'll send them down to our range, let them use some guns, find out what they're most comfortable with,Ē says Hill.

Desselle is taking the concealed handgun license course at Don's Weaponry to legally carry a gun with her and be educated. "It's scary to go through a class and think about a specific incident that you might encounter that they tell you about and how scared you would be, but it's better than the alternative which is not to be prepared at all."

Other women, like UCA student Holly Hennenberger, are taking self defense classes at Little Rock Martial Arts. "The whole Anne Pressly thing and the shooting at my school, [I'm just] just scared," says Hennenberger.

Michelle Ray teaches the seminar and says the key to defending yourself is awareness and knowledge. ďIf they know what a predator is looking for in a victim, then I've armed them with the best part of self defense,Ē says Ray, owner of Little Rock Martial Arts.

"I've been pumped since this morning, ready to kick some butt," says Hennenberger.

"Just the fact that we are a female makes us the victim. We are perceived as being weak, we are perceived as being vulnerable. That's what a predator is looking for an easy target," Ray says.

Thatís what Ray hopes to change.

Little Rock Martial Arts will have another free self-defense seminar Nov. 8 at 2pm. For more information visit MartialArtsLittleRock.com.

For more information on concealed handgun courses, call Donís Weaponry 501-945-6188.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Unfortunately once the violence dies down in the area probably 90% of the women will never touch what they bought again. It would be nice if they all continued to carry and protect themselves, but it won't happen.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

"It's scary to go through a class and think about a specific incident that you might encounter that they tell you about and how scared you would be, but it's better than the alternative which is not to be prepared at all."
    I think this woman gets it.

Refer all women to:
    Cornered Cat - Table of Contents
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Way to go girls!

I am a female shooter who has been shooting guns since I was a little girl with my dad. Funny thing is I went through a few years where I just stopped shooting for awhile.

Why? I don't know. Busy with Career, Travel, etc. ??? But, I got back into it and just received my conceal carry permit a couple of weeks ago.

I don't think you guys will see that many women give up when crime goes down which it appears crime will never go down. We all (men and women) just need to train and prepare ourselves for the criminal eliment that exists out there in the world!

Get Ready, Stay Ready, Be Safe
    MsXD9

[B]"When seconds count police are minutes away"!

you GO girlfriends!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I remember back in the '70's teaching my ex to shoot my .357 Smith. She was pretty good too. One night I came sneaking back home after staying out WAY too late. I quietly opened the bedroom door and heard that distinctive "snick" of a hammer being pulled back. I said "Honey, it's me!"...she replied "I know".

I started carrying about 3 1/2 y ago around the time we were going through a lawsuit with a questionable person. I went through my class for ccw and about a week after I got my ccw discovered I was pregnant. So I started to carry due to crime and now carry just because you can never be sure what will happen and it is not a risk I want to be at a disadvantage of especially when I have a child with me.

Good for you SW! I wish more women felt like you do. I've trained women who said they're only doing it for their husband. I always asked "Why not do it for your kids?"

pax
    Good for you SW! I wish more women felt like you do. I've trained women who said they're only doing it for their husband. I always asked "Why not do it for your kids?"
    I know one woman who started carrying because there was a home invasion in her city where the intruder shot the family dogs before attacking the female homeowner. As my friend was telling me the story, she said she'd always figured that if it was her time, it was her time -- but after she heard the news that night, she realized she was willing to do whatever it took to defend her pet dog, and that's why she went out and got a gun & training to defend herself.

Just goes to show, everyone's got a different path to walk.

Personally? I always figured my life would be worth defending even if I never got married, never had kids, and didn't even have a pet dog. (But I'm kinda arrogant that way. )

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Well said pax. Do you ever get to Phoenix? I'd love to have my two daughters hear your stuff. I'd love to meet you too!

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    My wife, since retiring with a disability from her electrical engineering position, has returned to playing guitar in a band. She used to tour professionally many years ago, and is as phenomenal a guitarist as she was an engineer. She leaves bars, etc at 2 AM regularly. I've tried to get her to carry, but the best that I have done is getting her to the range once. She carried OC spray, and a stun gun, but they both require that the BG get too close. I gave her a Taser last Christmas, which is better, but I'll keep working on getting her to carry. I'm happy that the women in the article are thinking defence. and I think that the martial arts training is a fine thin g to do. But it requires many years to become proficient enough to really be able to protect yourself, and there are still too many possibilities where it won't be enough. Congratulations to the ladies who have taken up concealed carry. And I pray that they never need it.

Funny. The media at least gave the gun shop business name (no location), but the martial arts class got a Plug advertisement with contact info.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

pax
    AZ Husker ~

Thanks. Haven't taken the show on the road yet. One of these days I will.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

I went out on some "dates" with this one woman, and decided I needed to let her know I carried.

Me : I'm not sure how to bring this up.... but..... I think you should know that I carry.

She : "you mean a gun ? "
    ME : "yes"
    She : "are you licensed ? "
    Me : " Yes"
    She: "whew, I was trying to figure out a way to tell you , but I guess you won't mind that I do too" (lifting the corner of her shirt to show me the holster and gun)

Me: well, one thing about it.... we must both be good at keeping it "concealed". LOL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links