Has the NRA lost its clout?

This is a discussion on Has the NRA lost its clout? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Seems like the NRA and various other organizations did a full court press to defeat Obama. Yet it doesn't look like they made much of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has the NRA lost its clout?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Has the NRA lost its clout?

Seems like the NRA and various other organizations did a full court press to defeat Obama. Yet it doesn't look like they made much of a dent.

Do you think they will have enough clout in Congress to stop/slow down anything?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

I guess only time will tell but I was wondering the same thing.

All I know for sure is, we better stock up on ammo and guns in the next 2 and a half months because I think we are in for some heavy gun control legislation being rammed down our throats soon after Jan 20.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

BAC
    This go around, the NRA had nothing to do with the voting outcome. Given the subject matter, I don't see how this can be discussed without getting political...

-B

has the nra lost its clout ?

a little

btw im an nra member
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

numbers say that there are 55 million strong gun owners accross the usa where were they today?

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by REDTAIL View Post
    numbers say that there are 55 million strong gun owners accross the usa where were they today?
    A lot of them were probably fooled by Obama's charisma.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

As for me, I voted a straight NRA ticket. How the rest of gun-owners voted, I can't say.

I think people must have believed the "I'm pro 2nd amendment" lie that he told, or they just don't care as long as they are promised that someone else's hardearned money will be taken by the government and sent to them in the form of a new great society social program.

Welcome to the People's Democratic Republic of Amerika.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

the NRA still has a lot of clout. 55 Million members (and I am one) do carry some weight. But national presidential elections are complex and about more then a single issue.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulJ View Post
    55 Million members (and I am one) do carry some weight.
    17% of America are NRA members? Source please?

-B

actually.. I stand corrected. Its 3 Million according to :

A Brief History Of The NRA

last paragraph on the page:
    But our successes would not be possible without the tireless efforts and countless hours of service our nearly three million members have given to champion Second Amendment rights and support NRA programs.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Enough clout to stop anything? They stop quite a bit, but they cannot stop the tides.

Sadly, with a huge portion of voting citizens divesting themselves of the responsibilities of participatory governance, we get what we get ... efforts of special-interest groups notwithstanding.

When politicos get $1B+ in funding for a single election cycle, it's hard to see how even a strong lobby group can make much of a dent.
    Last edited by JD; November 5th, 2008 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Removed Off Topic Politics.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Join the NRA today. It is a very good organization for all gun owners. We never want to be in a situation were we lose our guns.

Ron
    For me, protecting my rights under the Second Amendment was a primary issue. But, I suspect that even for many gun owners other issues were for them personally of greater concern, such as the state of the economy.

The NRA was battling not only Obama, but also a biased media and, of course, a myriad of other issues considered of great importance to the voting public.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

At one time it was up to over 6 million. I guess gun owners do not care about there gun rights..... :(
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

The current economic chaos carried the day yesterday. No lobby group could compete with that. Guns rights weren't anywhere on the radar. I do believe the NRA has a lot of clout, evidenced by the sweeping Pro2A laws in the country over the last decade. They must continue to keep pressure on the Congress to protect our hard fought rights.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links