Practical or tactical?

Practical or tactical?

This is a discussion on Practical or tactical? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, we all know where we stand. (Don't we?) You have friends...deer hunting friends, range friends, etc. The hunter at heart versus the home defender. ...

View Poll Results: Practical or tactical?

Voters
154. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am practical and tactical, have weapons for both venues

51 33.12%
  • I'm more tactical than practical...home/self defens is highest on my list

73 47.40%
  • I am more practical than tactical...hunting is my main goal

8 5.19%
  • Any of my tactical weapons can be used as practical weapons

22 14.29%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Practical or tactical?

Practical or tactical?

Well, we all know where we stand. (Don't we?) You have friends...deer hunting friends, range friends, etc. The hunter at heart versus the home defender. You can do both, but what's your real modus operandi? Practical or tactical?

BAC
    Doesn't tactical (in the true sense of the word) require being practical? Isn't that what tactical is all about? What works?

-B

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Doesn't tactical (in the true sense of the word) require being practical? Isn't that what tactical is all about? What works?

-B
    Uh-oh! Please re-read the poll/post. Hunter or defender? Or both? We all know different firearms have different and/or specific purposes. Just list your majority of said firearms and their intended purpose.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Does 'tactical' mean defense? It seems to have taken on a bad connotation, conjuring up images of people sneaking around acting like they are military members in Iraq clearing the house of a terrorist.

I am 'tactical' in the sense that the goals of my armament are solely self-defense, the defense of home, and the fun of shooting. I have never hunted.

I am not 'tactical' in the sense that I do not consider myself some kind of uber badass person sneaking through the shadows in all black carrying 50 knives and 2000 rounds of ammo. If I were preparing to fight WWIII I would certainly be undergunned.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Does 'tactical' mean defense? It seems to have taken on a bad connotation, conjuring up images of people sneaking around acting like they are military members in Iraq clearing the house of a terrorist.

I am 'tactical' in the sense that the goals of my armament are solely self-defense, the defense of home, and the fun of shooting. I have never hunted.

I am not 'tactical' in the sense that I do not consider myself some kind of uber badass person sneaking through the shadows in all black carrying 50 knives and 2000 rounds of ammo. If I were preparing to fight WWIII I would certainly be undergunned.
    No...you got it. It is after all rather simple. Whether or not I portrayed this in my original post is beside the point. Thank you. Thou art tactical.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    No...you got it. It is after all rather simple. Whether or not I portrayed this in my original post is beside the point. Thank you. Thou art tactical.
    Okay. Voted.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Uh-oh! Please re-read the poll/post. Hunter or defender? Or both? We all know different firearms have different and/or specific purposes. Just list your majority of said firearms and their intended purpose.
    Wow, that was odd. It showed up as a normal post, not as a poll. Never saw that.

Still, the last poll response is kinda what I'm getting at. If my only rifle is an AR15, for example, it can still be plenty "practical" in terms of useful for hunting. It's not ideal against, say, deer, but it'll work just fine on coyotes and hogs.

Anyway, I voted the top one. My ol' K98 Mauser was "tactical" back in its day, but fits the bill more as a hunting rifle now.

-B

I guess I'm tactical because I don't hunt anymore. I just haven't had time to hunt anywhere other than the grocery store. Does that might make me a gatherer instead of a hunter?

I can hunt, I have hunting rifles and shotguns but I also own several flavors of the dreaded black rifles.

So consider me tactical where personal and home defense are the priority at the moment.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

I’ll have to say I am both. I use to hunt a lot, but today I’d more target pinking.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I am way more tactical.........my hunting days are passed. I train to be tactical.........I would only hunt now for survival reasons.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

I am more tactical, never really hunted but I can in a real SHTF situation.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

If "tactical" = defensive against predators, then "tactical" is my daily/practical. But, in keeping with the terminology of the poll: tactical over practical, with hunting days mostly behind me.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I believe my rem 870 is the perfect blend of tactical and practical. loaded with 00 buck it is great for home defense, 10 bird for small animals and birds, and slugs for deer or that home invader that just wont go down. I can do this all with one simple easy to fire firearm.

pax
    I don't think hunting is very practical in this day and age. By the time you've bought licenses and tags, ammunition and firearms, paid for fuel to get where you hunt and fees to hunt there, your meat costs way more than it would from the grocery store.

Tasty? Yes!

Fun? You betcha!

Healthier? I think so.

But practical? Nuh uh.

Voted the poll anyway. :)

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Practical is tactical, by definition. The genuine article may not be in the latest issue of Tactical Weapons, though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links