Getting a FFL

Getting a FFL

This is a discussion on Getting a FFL within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm interested in getting an FFL so that I can buy directly from online sites instead of having to go through a intermediary and paying ...

Thread: Getting a FFL

Getting a FFL

I'm interested in getting an FFL so that I can buy directly from online sites instead of having to go through a intermediary and paying transfer fees. I won't be in the business of selling, just buying. Does anyone know if this is possible or do I actually have to have a store in order to get an FFL?

I believe you have to have a seperate store front, not of your residence, to get an FFL these days. And it requires a set amount of a hours posted to be open for business to the public.

Yep! The days of a private, residential FFL holder (hobbyist) are, unfortunately, past. Used to be tons of 'em. Around here, any number of them would take delivery for you at 5-10% over cost. Now, I don't know any who still hold their license. The logic (?) is, that now you've got to be "in the commercial activity" with the necessary store-front, records & accessability for Record Review (ATF). What's really sad, is that I'm old enough to recall buying guns right out of the Sear (and Roebuck) catalog just like ordering a new hacksaw & having them shipped by USPS right to your house in a plain brown box. No worries, fear or fuss. Dang...I'm gettin' OLD.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Check it out at the ATF site. I think you can get an ffl and use your home. I will check. I am meeting with mine on Sat . to pick up new Ak and talking with him about Class 3. I will get the scoop
    Glock 32 (357 sig)

Does the law regulate who can be in the business? [Top]

Yes. The Gun Control Act (GCA), administered by the Bureau of Alcohol, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) of the United States Department of Justice, contains Federal licensing standards for various firearms businesses (manufacturers, importers, and dealers). An example of these standards is that the applicant must have a business premises.

[18 U.S.C. 923(d), 27 CFR 478.47]

Who can get a license? [Top]

ATF will approve the application if the applicant:

Is 21 years or more of age;
    Is not prohibited from shipping, transporting, receiving or possessing firearms or ammunition;
    Has not willfully violated the GCA or its regulations;
    Has not willfully failed to disclose material information or willfully made false statements concerning material facts in connection with his application;
    Has premises for conducting business or collecting; and,
    The applicant certifies that--

(1) the business to be conducted under the license is not prohibited by State or local law at the place where the licensed premise is located to include compliance with zoning ordinances;

(2) within 30 days after the application is approved the business will comply with the requirements of State and local law applicable to the conduct of the business;

(3) business will not be conducted under the license until the requirements of State and local law applicable to the business have been met;

(4) a completed copy of the application has been has been sent or delivered to the chief law enforcement officer of the locality in which the premises is located; and,.

(5) secure gun storage or safety devices will be available at any place in which firearms are sold under the license to persons who are not licensees ("secure gun storage or safety defined in 18 U.S.C. 921 (a) (34) )

It doesn't state your premises cannot be your home. Like any other business from your home. However, I will do more research.
    Glock 32 (357 sig)

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    I have the application in my truck right now. I could probably use a vacant unit in one of my brothers buildings as a designated place of business if that is the requirement. I will throw a desk, a phone and a gun safe in there and call it "The Shop"

Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    I have the application in my truck right now. I could probably use a vacant unit in one of my brothers buildings as a designated place of business if that is the requirement. I will throw a desk, a phone and a gun safe in there and call it "The Shop"
    The ATF will love that when they come do their inspection.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adaman04 View Post
    The ATF will love that when they come do their inspection.
    Why would that fall short of any requirement? It is in a commercial zone, has a public entry way, security system, utilities, elevator, steel door. What else is a commercial location supposed to have? It is not a damp gray cell for crying out loud.

I think you could still be a home front FFL, my FFL does his out of a spare room next to his garage. He's been doing this for many years in a residential subdivision, is a Metro Transit cop, does only transfers, and only charges $10 per item cash!

He has said he's been really busy transferring a lot of ARs lately.

I know a few garage FFL's, but many are giving it up because 1)their safes are full, 2) their replacement safes are also full, and 3) way to much hassle to maintain.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    Why would that fall short of any requirement? It is in a commercial zone, has a public entry way, security system, utilities, elevator, steel door. What else is a commercial location supposed to have? It is not a damp gray cell for crying out loud.

Well, you have to keep the firearms there (securely). You also have to actually do business, or at least offer to do it. Something they might do, for instance, is send someone undercover to attempt to buy from you. If it is clear that you are not actually selling anything, you would be in trouble.

There are advantages to owning a gun store, but please, if you want them, you have to actually open a gun store!
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Links